Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
polamalubeast
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16032
Default What is most disappointing season of the steelers in the last 30 years?

I would say for a hand, the 2003 season.

It was really not nice to watch
polamalubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
polamalubeast
Bench Warmer

Default Re: What is most disappointing season of the steelers in the last 30 years?

I wanted to do a survey, but I failed

He would have several choices of answers as the team 1986,1988,1998,1999,2003,2006 and 2009
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268
Default Re: What is most disappointing season of the steelers in the last 30 years?

for me it is always whichever one was the last one we didnt make the playoffs..........so last year would be my pick

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Gotta be 1988. The Chief passes, the end of the good old days as the last few steelers of the 70's hang on like Stallworth and Shell. 5-11 in the season and the following year didnt get any better as they drafted Tim Worley in the 1st round.

Some of you around here just know the teams of the last 15 years and heard of the 70's teams........but never had to live thru the down years of the 80's. So don't cry about Ben hanging onto the ball too long, without remembering Malone, Brister, Woodley, Tomczak, Graham, etc.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Gotta be 1988. The Chief passes, the end of the good old days as the last few steelers of the 70's hang on like Stallworth and Shell. 5-11 in the season and the following year didnt get any better as they drafted Tim Worley in the 1st round.

Some of you around here just know the teams of the last 15 years and heard of the 70's teams........but never had to live thru the down years of the 80's. So don't cry about Ben hanging onto the ball too long, without remembering Malone, Brister, Woodley, Tomczak, Graham, etc.
True dat.

My pick would be any and all years we had to hope winner of QB "competition" could lead us to the promised land.

I got no bitches with Ben being QB what so ever.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

I really, really hated sitting through Cowher's last season with the team. Courtesy of his motorcycle injuries, Ben was a wreck for most of it - add to that a team riddled by other injuries, as well as the fact that everyone knew Cowher was leaving pretty much no matter what - and what you got was a fairly uninspiring performance from a team that was nothing short of inspiring just one season prior. For the most part, it was actually hard to watch - especially that game against the Jaguars - you know, the one where their offense couldn't even put up a single first down, much less a single point. If I recall, the Jaguars didn't score a touchdown, but they were able to put up a few field goals. I walked away feeling stunned - that feeling would linger for the rest of the season. Yeah. there were a few glimpses of inspiration here and there, but for the most part they looked incredibly subpar.

I always had a great deal of respect for Cowher - and, to a degree, I still do - but in hindsight, I really wish he would have just retired after winning that Super Bowl. It just seemed like the hunger was gone. And for most of the season, a lot of his coaching decisions that year were (in my opinion) incredibly questionable. I also think Ben should have been played very sparingly (if at all) during at least the first 3 or 4 games of that season - I know he probably talked Cowher into letting him play, but it I just remember the distinct feeling that Ben was hardly at 100% - he might have been at 60%, tops. He just didn't look very well. Oh well, hindsight as they say, is 20/20.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

1980 - the dynasty ended with a whimper. Despite winning Lombardi #4, the cracks were beginning to show in '79 (35-7 shellacking by the Chargers, anyone?), but the whole thing collapsed in 1980. The low point of that season in particular for me was watching us lose a late season Thursday night game to the Oilers by a score of 6-0 and seeing one of the cameras focused on Bum Phillips on the sideline with his arms raised in triumph. Ugh.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
polamalubeast
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
I really, really hated sitting through Cowher's last season with the team. Courtesy of his motorcycle injuries, Ben was a wreck for most of it - add to that a team riddled by other injuries, as well as the fact that everyone knew Cowher was leaving pretty much no matter what - and what you got was a fairly uninspiring performance from a team that was nothing short of inspiring just one season prior. For the most part, it was actually hard to watch - especially that game against the Jaguars - you know, the one where their offense couldn't even put up a single first down, much less a single point. If I recall, the Jaguars didn't score a touchdown, but they were able to put up a few field goals. I walked away feeling stunned - that feeling would linger for the rest of the season. Yeah. there were a few glimpses of inspiration here and there, but for the most part they looked incredibly subpar.

I always had a great deal of respect for Cowher - and, to a degree, I still do - but in hindsight, I really wish he would have just retired after winning that Super Bowl. It just seemed like the hunger was gone. And for most of the season, a lot of his coaching decisions that year were (in my opinion) incredibly questionable. I also think Ben should have been played very sparingly (if at all) during at least the first 3 or 4 games of that season - I know he probably talked Cowher into letting him play, but it I just remember the distinct feeling that Ben was hardly at 100% - he might have been at 60%, tops. He just didn't look very well. Oh well, hindsight as they say, is 20/20.

Yes and for the defeats of 31-7 and 27-0 against the Ravens have been very embarrassing too.

He also defeated the Raiders 20-13 cons was very hard too, especially given that
Ben has made 4 interceptions and 2 return for a touchdown.

I can not believe we had lost our last 2 games against the Raiders
Old 03-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
I'm sending you my psychotrist bill for this one buddy!

Just when I was doing well, you gotta bring up the past!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Yeah, with the Chief dying, '88 was bad, but by that time, I EXPECTED us to be downright bad to mediocre, or at best, wild card round cannon fodder for a legitimate SB contender. '80 was still the worst for me, as '80 was the first time the team missed the playoffs since I started watching football in '76.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote