Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #21
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,323 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Leaked footage of 2007 USAF engaging ''hostiles'' NSFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Do you mean because then we'd have "killed them all", as Vinny was suggesting in the other thread?
Quit trying to start another fight in here.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
No, I mean our troops wouldn't be bothered to follow some bullshit convoluted "protocol" to engage an enemy when they're being shot at first, among other things. Fighting is exponentially harder when doing so with one hand tied behind one's back.
You mean like in Vietnam? Carpet bombing, annihilating villages, raping and pillaging. It certainly worked wonders there... why shouldn't we try it here? Unless, perhaps there's a funny thing about people, that maybe some part of them wants desperately to believe they they are fighting the good fight (even when they're not.) Maybe atrocities in some way demoralize the aggressor as much as the victim.

Nah... forget I said that. Nuke 'em.

"Shot at first?" Is this war taking place in Pittsburgh? Did I miss something? When did the Iraqis "shoot first"? [This is your cue, just so you know, where you get on the soapbox and rant about 9/11]
Old 04-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

This is the unfortunate reality of war. From what I see here, the aircrew were justified in engaging these people even though it was a mistake. I'm sure Al Jazeera will get a lot of mileage out of this, and that's just what happens when you engage in a war of occupation.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #24
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
You mean like in Vietnam? Carpet bombing, annihilating villages, raping and pillaging. It certainly worked there... why shouldn't we try it here? Unless, perhaps there's a funny thing about people, that maybe some part of them wants desperately to believe they they are fighting the good fight (even when they're not.) Maybe atrocities in some way demoralize the aggressor as much as the victim.

"Shot at first?" Is this war taking place in Pittsburgh? Did I miss something? When did the Iraqis "shoot first"? [This is your cue, just so you know, where you get on the soapbox and rant about 9/11]
Yep, you did miss something and you are trying to twist what he said. ROE, that is Rules of Engagement to help you out a bit, state that our soldiers cannot fire until fired upon, even if they know the subject is a combatant. Also, in Afghanistan, they are not allowed to engage unless they actually see the enemy shooting at them. This makes it difficult when you are taking fire from a building then out walks a guy, drops a weapon, and walks away. Yes, it is happening. It is impossible to fight a war with one hand tied behind your back, but then again some just want us to wave a white flag like the French and run and hide.

I have one thing to say and not trying to be a prick or call out any single person here, but until you have walked side by side with the military and laced up your boots along side them, don't try to act like you know what goes on in combat.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,196 Times in 3,491 Posts

while unfortunate that some innocent civilians died, the footage is pretty cool. i can see where some reporter or whatever who doesnt have a clue (or who has an agenda) sees it as some sort of military "grand theft auto" video game.

i chalk this incident up to "shit happens..."
Old 04-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #26
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
You mean like in Vietnam? Carpet bombing, annihilating villages, raping and pillaging. It certainly worked wonders there... why shouldn't we try it here? Unless, perhaps there's a funny thing about people, that maybe some part of them wants desperately to believe they they are fighting the good fight (even when they're not.) Maybe atrocities in some way demoralize the aggressor as much as the victim.

Vietnam, Korea, WWII..., you're getting the picture. We won the battles in Vietnam. It's apparent that you have little knowledge of what actually went on there besides what you've heard from Jane Fonda.

Do you know WHY we carpet bombed? Do you know WHY we annihilated villages? I think your "raping and pillaging" statement is a bit over the top.

I suppose you think all our enemies just need a big hug right? Open your eyes man.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #27
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
while unfortunate that some innocent civilians died, the footage is pretty cool. i can see where some reporter or whatever who doesnt have a clue (or who has an agenda) sees it as some sort of military "grand theft auto" video game.

i chalk this incident up to "shit happens..."

Exactly.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #28
ricardisimo
Administrator

We invaded a country that never did squat to us, and in contravention of international laws and treaties to which we are signatories, and you're talking about "rules of engagement"?

How does the use of white phosphorus against civilian populations jibe with your "RoE"? How about targeting journalists? There is a reason why wars of aggression are considered "the supreme crime", under which all of the attendant crimes fall - like those captured on this video.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #29
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Vietnam, Korea, WWII..., you're getting the picture. We won the battles in Vietnam. It's apparent that you have little knowledge of what actually went on there besides what you've heard from Jane Fonda.

Do you know WHY we carpet bombed? Do you know WHY we annihilated villages? I think your "raping and pillaging" statement is a bit over the top.

I suppose you think all our enemies just need a big hug right? Open your eyes man.
Why we carpet bombed in Vietnam????? You're asking me WHY????? Have you forgotten 9/11????????
Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #30
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
Why we carpet bombed in Vietnam????? You're asking me WHY????? Have you forgotten 9/11????????
I was there on 9/11. I assure you I haven't forgotten. But I believe I was responding to your post about carpet bombing in Vietnam and I'm asking you if you even know WHY it was done. DO YOU????