Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #301
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Leaked footage of 2007 USAF engaging ''hostiles'' NSFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
More commentary, specifically on the Afghan case:
----------

Ignorance of Afghan Culture Leads to Botched Raids and Civilian Deaths
Shooting in the Dark

By GARETH PORTER
So, someone posts an article this guy wrote...and the most recent data (that I can see) it covers is May 09? Not sure when the article was actually written, or when the "data" was collected, but it's old hat so far as I can tell.

I mean there is mention of Feb 12....but not Feb 12 2010, Feb 12 2009, Feb 12 2008. At best, you can say it's implied...but an implication is not admissable in court as real evidence.

Feb 12
Aug 13
Sept 2008
December 2008
August 2008
May 2009

If you attach 2008 to those first two dates, then you have one item out of order. If you leave off the dates, then this reporter is jumping around a LOT...because there's no way that Aug 13th could be 2010. Unless he's got a crystal ball..in which case I'd have to wonder why he hasn't won the lottery.

That kind of randomness looks (IMO) like throwing spaghetti against a wall, hoping something will stick.

Not only that, one of his sources says

Quote:
"numerous government officials" had told him that "false tips" had "often" caused night raids to result in the killing of innocent civilians
Philip Austin is a Human Rights activist for the UN. It's his job. \

Well, "numerous government officials" could be 10, 100 or...2. There's an implied sense that it's more than 2...but if I'm trying to make a story...then I'm not concerned with what exactly "numerous" implies. All it needs to mean is more than 1... Multiple could be another word used that just "sounds big" even if it's only 2.

Why are "numerous government officials", "false tips" and "often" put in "quotations"?

Maybe "government officials" are just guards at the UN (possibly French Guards? ) Maybe they are the cleaning crew who are just gossiping away over something they overheard while going about their cleaning duties.

What about "false tips". What does that actually mean? Did these "government officials" actualy hold up their fingers making the "quotations" mark while they said it? Seems fishy to me.

Same with "often." For some people, 1 time is 1 time too many...and so therefor it happens way too "often." If you're going to report, don't speculate. Report. Give us facts...not "facts."

Then again, "maybe" it's "just" me.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #302
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
So, someone posts an article this guy wrote...and the most recent data (that I can see) it covers is May 09? Not sure when the article was actually written, or when the "data" was collected, but it's old hat so far as I can tell.

I mean there is mention of Feb 12....but not Feb 12 2010, Feb 12 2009, Feb 12 2008. At best, you can say it's implied...but an implication is not admissable in court as real evidence.

Feb 12
Aug 13
Sept 2008
December 2008
August 2008
May 2009

If you attach 2008 to those first two dates, then you have one item out of order. If you leave off the dates, then this reporter is jumping around a LOT...because there's no way that Aug 13th could be 2010. Unless he's got a crystal ball..in which case I'd have to wonder why he hasn't won the lottery.

That kind of randomness looks (IMO) like throwing spaghetti against a wall, hoping something will stick.

Well, "numerous government officials" could be 10, 100 or...2. There's an implied sense that it's more than 2...but if I'm trying to make a story...then I'm not concerned with what exactly "numerous" implies. All it needs to mean is more than 1... Multiple could be another word used that just "sounds big" even if it's only 2.

Why are "numerous government officials", "false tips" and "often" put in "quotations"?

Maybe "government officials" are just guards at the UN (possibly French Guards? ) Maybe they are the cleaning crew who are just gossiping away over something they overheard while going about their cleaning duties.

What about "false tips". What does that actually mean? Did these "government officials" actualy hold up their fingers making the "quotations" mark while they said it? Seems fishy to me.

Same with "often." For some people, 1 time is 1 time too many...and so therefor it happens way too "often." If you're going to report, don't speculate. Report. Give us facts...not "facts."

You shouldn't even validate his idiotic posts by quoting them. Anyone in the "know" is aware that it is the insurgents who indiscriminently mortar civilian areas. They then blame the U.S. Troops for the deaths because they know there are suckers like retardismo around who will raise a stink and condemn our actions, while at the same time pretending to love our troops and our country. It's a win-win for the bad guys all around in that regard.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #303
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
So howbout those Buccos?!
why must you always make me cry?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #304
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post

Feb 12
Aug 13
Sept 2008
December 2008
August 2008
May 2009

Make no mistake... this is commentary, not a breaking news story. Everything on Counterpunch is commentary and analysis. And his point is, I think, exactly what you're kind of, sort of suggesting in a roundabout way: There is a pattern, a history in Afghanistan since the invasion.

I don't think his point is that this is a scoop he's obtained on recent events. If this were a news article, it would be piss-poor, to be sure.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #305
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Make no mistake... this is commentary, not a breaking news story. Everything on Counterpunch is commentary and analysis. And his point is, I think, exactly what you're kind of, sort of suggesting in a roundabout way: There is a pattern, a history in Afghanistan since the invasion.

I don't think his point is that this is a scoop he's obtained on recent events. If this were a news article, it would be piss-poor, to be sure.
But analysis of what? He uses entirely too many vagueries. Analysis of what the Porta-Potty Cleaning crew is discussing? The entire posting was a waste of space...on "numerous" websites.