Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #21
SteelerFan1
Water Boy

Member Number: 1507
Unhappy Re: Antwaan - Sign him up!!!!

Randel El is definitely an athlete, but to be honest I really don't see the point of paying him the big bucks to stick around. His punt returns have not been all that special, as he only averages 10 yards a return. Every once in a while they use that trick play, and teams always bite, but that's not to say that he's the ONLY person on the team that can throw that ball. Ward was a q.b. too.

Besides if coach wizz goes to the Raiders, than who's to say that the new offensive coordinator will even want to use Randel El in that capacity?
SteelerFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #22
Big7Ben
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 886
Default Re: Antwaan - Sign him up!!!!

The pass Antwaan made was awesome!!

Big Ben--Hines Ward Communication
75 Years. This year- we go for 6 superbowl wins :)
Big7Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #23
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1
but that's not to say that he's the ONLY person on the team that can throw that ball. Ward was a q.b. too.
Yea, but you need someone to throw the ball to, too. Wilson? Quincy? These guys have dropped balls before, and unless we get someone in the draft or Washington steps up (which I'd like to see), we're gonna need another reliable reciever...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #24
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,828 Posts

Randle-El sealed the deal on not being in Pittsburgh next season with the TD pass.

Steelers already have starting WR $$$ invested in Hines Ward & Cedrick Wilson and will not pay what Randle-El will get from another team. El is a #3 receiver but his return skills and ability on gadget plays make him very marketable.

Chris Hope is a tougher call. I have read the Steelers are not wild about keeping him; question is how much Hope benefits from the talent that surrounds him.

Sad to see this team break up, but in the NFL you try to keep your core together and build around that.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #25
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1707

Unfortunately, this is the nature of the NFL, and all of professional sports in this day and age really. That being said, it would certainly be nice to keep him onboard as he is a great #2/#3 receiver for the Steelers, but it would not surprise if he heads elsewhere. None the less, I think we all appreciate his contributions during this season and in helping to bring a championship back to the Steel City!!
Need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #26
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660

If Randle El leaves, the good news is Cedric Wilson has grown into a great #2 receiver. With Quincy Morgan coming back next year, as well and the free agent market (hear David Givens will be available), all is not lost in the Steeler receiving corp.
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #27
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

See, here's the kicker for me. I want EL to say very badly, but......I can't see him getting "paid" to be a #2 man....not even close. Ideally, he's our #3 receiver, he is the perfect slot guy. We need a #2 man that could do the things that Burress did and be consistant. Can Wilson do that.....doubtful, can Morgan......doubtful (he didn't with the 2-3 other teams he was on). I really think the Steelers will explore their FA options with a viable #2 WR. EL will get a lot more money than most #2 guys now......unless he is the consumate team player and will take less money to stay here and possibly a lesser role......I think he'll be wearing a different uniform next year. I just don't think the FO feels he is the best fit as our #2.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #28
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

The problem with wide receviers in this regard is that any #3 guy, thinks he can go to another team and be a #2, and #2 guys think they're #1's, i.e. Keyshawn Johnson. He's a glorified #2 masquerading as a #1. And El is also a good example of this, he's really a solid #3 receiver, but after this post-season he will probably be able to find another team weak at that position who will be willing to pay him #2 receiver type money. And unless El likes his role in the Steelers offense and likes playing for a winning organization so much that he's willing to take a little less money, he will likely be shipping out of Pittsburgh.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #29
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
See, here's the kicker for me. I want EL to say very badly, but......I can't see him getting "paid" to be a #2 man....not even close. Ideally, he's our #3 receiver, he is the perfect slot guy. We need a #2 man that could do the things that Burress did and be consistant. Can Wilson do that.....doubtful, can Morgan......doubtful (he didn't with the 2-3 other teams he was on). I really think the Steelers will explore their FA options with a viable #2 WR. EL will get a lot more money than most #2 guys now......unless he is the consumate team player and will take less money to stay here and possibly a lesser role......I think he'll be wearing a different uniform next year. I just don't think the FO feels he is the best fit as our #2.
This is the problem with some guys. Randel El is NOT a #1 receiver. He isn't today and he never will be. He is a great slot receiver and someone who adds a dimension to your offense, but he is not a Hines Ward. He is not a Chad Johnson. Randel El is 5'10" and 192 lbs. He is clearly too small to be a #1. He is a guy that needs a very good #1 to take the pressure off of him. If he's the #1....who in the world would be the #2? That is a team with a sad receiving group! Stay El. Accept the wonderful roll you have here and be happy!
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #30
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteelerFan
Randel El is 5'10" and 192 lbs. He is clearly too small to be a #1.
In defense of his physical stature, Steve Smith is about that same size, and I would say he's definately a #1 receiver. That guy is just plain unique though. I see your point though, he is definately nowhere near a #1, you could argue that he's a #2 though. In a way, I think the best way to describe him really would be the present day version of "Slash." Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Need4spd; 02-06-2006 at 02:42 PM.