Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Big lineman Mike Iupati scheduled for visit

Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Big lineman Mike Iuputi scheduled for visit
April 7, 5:36 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...uled-for-visit

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers plan to bring in yet another big offensive lineman as early as this week as Mike Iuputu is also scheduled for a visit according to a league source.

Steeler officials already have met with Iuputi during the Senior Bowl and yesterday had 350 pound Bryan Baluga of Iowa at the UPMC facility. Buluga is quickly moving up the draft day charts and could go as early as the top ten though.

As for Iuputi, the 6-5, 325 pounder earned consensus All-American honors this season after being named to the first team by the Associated Press, Walter Camp, American Football Coaches Association and the Football Writers Association of America.

An Outland Trophy finalist and first team All-WAC selection, Iupati helped the Vandals claim just the second bowl victory in program history—a 43-42 win over Bowling Green in the Humanitarian Bowl. He didn’t allow a single sack all season and graded out at 90 percent or better in all 13 games.

He can play both the guard and tackle slot and is projected as a guard on the NFL level, one with skills similar to former Steeler Alan Faneca.

What makes him special is his blocking skills. He is explosive and has an initial violent punch, has solid instincts and finishes his blocks not to mention the fact Iuputi is very physical and aggressive.

According to NFL Draft Dog, He uses his size and power effectively to help block down on opponents in the running game and no one can move him. He ties up defenders well and moves them away from the hole leaving it open for the running back to get through on a consistent basis. He won’t get pushed around either thanks to his wide base and leg strength.

Iuputi did not work out during Idaho's Pro Day on March 11, opting instead to run drills for teams he visits and keep his combine numbers.

Interestingly the two players he compares himself to are current Steeler Chris Kemoeatu whom he looks up to and a player coached by former Steeler coach Russ Grimm, Duece Lutai.

RECENT FIRST ROUND HISTORY: 2009 - Evander "Ziggy" Hood (DL, Missouri); 2008 - Rashard Mendenhall (RB, Illinois); 2007 - Lawrence Timmons (LB, Florida State); 2006 - Santonio Holmes (WR, Ohio State); 2005 - Heath Miller (TE, Virginia); 2004 - Ben Roethlisberger (QB, Miami-Ohio); 2003 - Troy Polamalu (SS, USC); 2002 - Kendall Simmons (G, Auburn); 2001 - Casey Hampton (DT, Texas); 2000 - Plaxico Burress (WR, Michigan State); 1999 - Troy Edwards (WR, Louisiana Tech); 1998 - Alan Faneca (G, LSU); 1997 - Chad Scott (CB, Maryland); 1996 - Jamain Stephens (T, North Carolina A&T); 1995 - Mark Bruener (TE, Washington); 1994 - Charles Johnson (WR, Colorado); 1993 - Deon Figures (CB, Colorado); 1992 - Leon Searcy (T, Miami-Florida); 1991 - Huey Richardson (LB, Florida); 1990 - Eric Green (TE, Liberty).
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
atlee731
Water Boy

Member Number: 15893
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Big lineman Mike Iuputi scheduled for visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Matt Pawlikowski

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers plan to bring in yet another big offensive lineman as early as this week as Mike Iuputu is also scheduled for a visit according to a league source.

Steeler officials already have met with Iuputi during the Senior Bowl and yesterday had 350 pound Bryan Baluga of Iowa at the UPMC facility. Buluga is quickly moving up the draft day charts and could go as early as the top ten though.

Interestingly the two players he compares himself to are current Steeler Chris Kemoeatu whom he looks up to and a player coached by former Steeler coach Russ Grimm, Duece Lutai.
Who does their proofreading? If you're going to misspell, at least be consistent and misspell it the same way every time.
atlee731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Big lineman Mike Iuputi scheduled for visit

i was surprised when i saw baluga visited yesterday because we unfortunatly dont have a chance a landing him
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Matt Pawlikowski

As for Iuputi, the 6-5, 325 pounder earned consensus All-American honors this season after being named to the first team by the Associated Press, Walter Camp, American Football Coaches Association and the Football Writers Association of America.

Iuputi did not work out during Idaho's Pro Day on March 11, opting instead to run drills for teams he visits and keep his combine numbers.

).
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlee731 View Post
Who does their proofreading? If you're going to misspell, at least be consistent and misspell it the same way every time.

No kidding. They misspelled the names of 3 players in that article. I'm surprised they got "Walter Camp Award" correct.

Either way, you never know. Many of us never thought that Michael Oher would slide to #23 last year and he did. IMO, Oher is better than Beluga and Mike Oompa-loompa.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
No kidding. They misspelled the names of 3 players in that article. I'm surprised they got "Walter Camp Award" correct.

Either way, you never know. Many of us never thought that Michael Oher would slide to #23 last year and he did. IMO, Oher is better than Beluga and Mike Oompa-loompa.

Not too many guys are going to be as good as Oher straight out of the draft. But I've been on the Iupati wagon for a long time. I hope he has a good visit with the Steelers. I'd be thrilled to see either Iupati or Kyle Wilson in Pitt next year.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

That's some sharp spelling.

You'd think he'd model himself after someone better than Kemo though huh?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i was surprised when i saw baluga visited yesterday because we unfortunatly dont have a chance a landing him
Didn't you hear we are going to trade into the top ten.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Didn't you hear we are going to trade into the top ten.
yea right. lol. there really isnt anyone worth trading for. next year is a different story. there are 3 really good qb's coming out(i want washingtons) and i would be happy to make a play for one.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post

Not too many guys are going to be as good as Oher straight out of the draft. But I've been on the Iupati wagon for a long time. I hope he has a good visit with the Steelers. I'd be thrilled to see either Iupati or Kyle Wilson in Pitt next year.
Yes, but my point is that many had Oher as a top 10 talent in December, but for some reason he slid to #23 in April. Bulaga could do that......unlikely, but it could happen. I honestly thought Oher was an impressive pass blocker, but needed work in the run game........we should have traded up to #23 for him.

I know you like Iupati and I do too, but think he is still pretty raw and considering the Steelers have a bunch of talent on the inside already I think he is a luxury pick. He might be able to play RT, but will need a lot of work.

I cant help thinking that we are thin at OT position and could use a #1 CB. A pure LT or #1 CB is much more worthy of the #18 pick than a Guard IMO.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I cant help thinking that we are thin at OT position and could use a #1 CB. A pure LT or #1 CB is much more worthy of the #18 pick than a Guard IMO.
I completely agree that a true #1, shutdown corner or pur LT is more value and a more pressing need than a guard. We'll have to wait and see if one will fall to us or if we trade up for one. I have a bad feeling Earl Thomas and Joe Haden come off the board in the top 10 and Kyle Wilson gets sniped a few picks before us.