Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814
Default McSmash Mock 4.0

My latest attempt here. Thinking that the FO might not draft a NT early like I had previously.

1.Sean Weatherspoon - ILB Mizzou - Replacement for Farrior in 2011. ILB are not exactly rare but Spoon's combo of athletecism and leadership is.

2. Vlad Ducasse RG/RT UMass - Compete for RG, Insurance at right tackle. Powerful raw talent.

3. Javier Arenas - CB Bama - Good ball hawking playmaker with great return skills

4. Anthony Dixon - RB Miss St. Powerful, Complete back could be 1a to Mendy

5. Myron Rolle S FL St - Competes will Allen/Mundy for roster spot. Consider Barry Church here if you think Rolle is long gone by the 5th.

5b Freddy Barnes WR Bowling Green - great undervalued receiver with great hands. Can carry Hines's pads.

5c Shelley Smith OC/OG Colorado St. - Very athletic prospect with center size and great agility. Smart guy who can fire off the snap. Overlooked since he's a little light.

6 Corey Peters - NT Kentucky - With the snack in the fridge with a 3 yr expiration date, the FO takes a flyer on a developmental big man

7 George Johnson OLB Rutgers - hard worker, quick, good at using his hands. Starts trying to shift to OLB from DE to add some depth.

7b Doug Worthington - DE Ohio St. - (HT: 6-5⅛ - WT: 292) Good size for 3-4 DE prospect. Needs better technique and some time in the weight room.

UDFA - Taylor Rendrick FB, Clemson - 6-2 255lb fullback to keep Tank honest.

UDFA - Mickey Shuhler - PSU Blocking TE takes over for Spaeth and (gasp) blocks somebody.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
jdthree
Water Boy

Member Number: 8841
Default Re: McSmash Mock 4.0

Love the Ducasse, Dixon, and Rolle picks. They are quality and should either push the starter in front of them, provide much needed depth, and/or play ST for us.

Not excited about Weatherspoon and Arenas. I think we already have Sean on the team in Timmons... athletic LB who is extremely athletic, but has issues with taking on blockers and who's strength isn't run stuffing. As for Arenas I watched the title game intently and wanted to like him, but was not impressed by his speed or instincts. He does stick his neck in there for the run game, but has questionable instincts in the pass game. I think that Amari Spievey would be a much better pick in the third.

Overall good work. Definitely positions that we need!!!
jdthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Weatherspoon is a Monster. A Clone of Patrick Willis. A tackling Machine. But I fear he won't even be there at 18. His stock is really rising. As for Arenas,,,Hate the pick,,sorry. Too short, bad fundamentals, and is not Athletic at all. And Ducasse in round 2 is too high. He is another " Mel Kiper " kid who has been totally overhyped the past 2 months or so. Another Jamaine Stephens to me.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

dont like 2 or 3....and dont know a lot about 5b on...
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
jdthree
Water Boy

Member Number: 8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
Weatherspoon is a Monster. A Clone of Patrick Willis. A tackling Machine. But I fear he won't even be there at 18. His stock is really rising. As for Arenas,,,Hate the pick,,sorry. Too short, bad fundamentals, and is not Athletic at all. And Ducasse in round 2 is too high. He is another " Mel Kiper " kid who has been totally overhyped the past 2 months or so. Another Jamaine Stephens to me.
Sorry to disagree with you but nfldraftscout seems to feel otherwise....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...atings;players

He's very athletic and can cover probably better than any other LB in the draft... but look at the write-up regarding run defense. He just isn't the run stuffer that we need and I don't think that spending a first rounder on an athletic ILB that mirrors the same one that we currently have is the best course of action.
jdthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Thanks for the comments:

@jdthree - I think Spoon is a natural leader in the way that Timmons never will be. His ability to take over for Farrior in that regard is what makes him special IMO.

@WahtdoIknow - regarding Ducasse, I picked the guy because as someone not likely to start on week 1 he has things you can't teach in really strong lower body, size and good punch. He'll have a year to get coached up. You can't expect that UMass has the staff to turn out a quality lineman. I'm not suggesting we pencil him in at LT or anything. Not sure what Kiper has to do with any of this.

I picked Arenas because I've read that he's a playmaker and is good in Zone coverage. Since we don't seem to play our corners up, maybe we can do with smaller more agile guys to get the INT.

In general I think that DB can be had in rounds 2,3 and so can guard, center, or RT. I'm in favor of addressing those there in any order. In the first I think you want a special player - I think Spoon is one such guy but not the only option.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
Thanks for the comments:

@jdthree - I think Spoon is a natural leader in the way that Timmons never will be. His ability to take over for Farrior in that regard is what makes him special IMO.

@WahtdoIknow - regarding Ducasse, I picked the guy because as someone not likely to start on week 1 he has things you can't teach in really strong lower body, size and good punch. He'll have a year to get coached up. You can't expect that UMass has the staff to turn out a quality lineman. I'm not suggesting we pencil him in at LT or anything. Not sure what Kiper has to do with any of this.

I picked Arenas because I've read that he's a playmaker and is good in Zone coverage. Since we don't seem to play our corners up, maybe we can do with smaller more agile guys to get the INT.

In general I think that DB can be had in rounds 2,3 and so can guard, center, or RT. I'm in favor of addressing those there in any order. In the first I think you want a special player - I think Spoon is one such guy but not the only option.

On " Spoon "...Absolutely agree 100 % Weatherspoon...375 tackles the past 3 years...= " Patrick Willis 2.0

He is the most likely prospect to NOT be a Bust! That can't even be said about McClain.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I like what I have heard and read about the young man and maybe it wouldnt be a bad pick at all. I just want the Steelers to get some serious help at the DB spot if there is a Top Notch player still there at 18 maybe like Kyle Wilson or the S from Texas.