Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #21
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: 45% of Doctors Retiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo View Post
You know, I am pretty certain that I would have no problem adjusting if MY salary went from $1M to a measily $800K, too. By why don't you look at this and see what the average doctor's salary is in the US...

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...Degrees/Salary

From that salary, we (the doctors) have to pay our yearly medical license fees (about $450), our staff fees (yes, you have to PAY to be able to practice at a hospital---about $350), our malpractice insurance (depends on the specialty---for the average general surgeon, $35,000/year), our DEA license fees---$550 every 3 years)...the list goes on and on. And don't forget the med school loans---30-year loans (the interest paid is NOT tax deductible for doctors---the interest for law school loans IS tax deductible)---anywhere from 150k---to who knows. For me personally, about $160,000.

Trust me. We ain't rich.
And, as someone posted, they just decreased reimbursements by 21%

The AMA sucks. It does NOT represent the majority of doctors
I have to laugh.

Why is it that those who want to argue HCR...rarely argue with or even respond to Indo? Why ignore the ONE person in this forum who understands the application of the bill better thatn anyone else?

Guess we dont want to cloud the discussion with facts and experience.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,199 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Why is it that those who want to argue HCR...rarely argue with or even respond to Indo? Why ignore the ONE person in this forum who understands the application of the bill better thatn anyone else?
Indeed, the silence becomes quite deafening in regards to HCR (particularly about how "wonderful" it is) around here once Indo weighs in with his , doesn't it?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,771 Times in 4,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Huh???!!! How do "they" rationalize deductible school loan interest for @#$%ing lawyers, and not for doctors, I mean aside from the obvious reason? How do you arrive at the conclusion that that makes any sense at all?

FUBAR defined.

Quote:

because im still waiting for a few scripts in the mail for oxycontin before they reconfigure the time release, to prevent crushing and banging them.

dont look a gift"horse" in the mouth.

j/k indo
Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #24
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
I have to laugh.

Guess we dont want to cloud the discussion with facts and experience.
Indo left out one of the best parts. This isn't new, but doctors face a discriminatory tax system in addition to all the other nonsense:

Personal services corporation

Doctors aren't going to leave practice because they're greedy. They're going to be forced out of business just like they were by Romneycare. Which leads to further corporatization of medicine, which is more expensive and less efficient for basic care (economies of scale would kick in for specialized treatment or equipment).
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #25
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Indo left out one of the best parts. This isn't new, but doctors face a discriminatory tax system in addition to all the other nonsense:

Personal services corporation

Doctors aren't going to leave practice because they're greedy. They're going to be forced out of business just like they were by Romneycare. Which leads to further corporatization of medicine, which is more expensive and less efficient for basic care (economies of scale would kick in for specialized treatment or equipment).
...and a subpar healthcare system....by atttrition.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #26
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Sorry but it doesn't work that way.

All of these docs still have to buy malpractice insurance, and I can tell ya it ain't cheap. Most of the docs that are going to call it quits are in private practice, which in turn means their taking a huge cut off the overhead of running a business. They still have to buy supplies, make payroll for employees, ect. If they work for a hospital how much of that dr.s fee actually goes to the dr. and how much does the hospital keep. Kinda like a bodyshop that charges $145 for shop labor. I can tell you for a fact that the body man doesn't make $145 an hour, the shop does.
I'll start with this one---
Mach1 is spot -on in regards to the supplies. I'm a surgeon who does a fair number of office procedures. I use bandages, gauze, tape, and many other supplies on a daily basis (lidocaine--"numbing medicine", syringes, scalpels, surgical gloves, etc etc). This cost comes directly out of my pocket. and it ain't reimbursible. Name me ONE other business where the supplies aren't paid for by the customer in some form
Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #27
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,771 Times in 4,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo View Post
I'll start with this one---
Mach1 is spot -on in regards to the supplies. I'm a surgeon who does a fair number of office procedures. I use bandages, gauze, tape, and many other supplies on a daily basis (lidocaine--"numbing medicine", syringes, scalpels, surgical gloves, etc etc). This cost comes directly out of my pocket. and it ain't reimbursible. Name me ONE other business where the supplies aren't paid for by the customer in some form
i "stole" the meat scissors they handed me to cut my daughters umbilical cord.

does that make me bad? doesnt the hospitals charge for all those supplies, anyways?

i also took a spray bottle of mouth lidocaine my mom had when she had a throat tube in IR.

i was floored when i saw what they charger her for oxygen.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #28
Indo
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Huh???!!! How do "they" rationalize deductible school loan interest for @#$%ing lawyers, and not for doctors, I mean aside from the obvious reason? How do you arrive at the conclusion that that makes any sense at all?

We need to gather up our sporting equipment and take back the Republic.
The answer to this one REALLY chaps my @sss

After much probing, this is the answer:

(and it's all BS--try to follow the logic, because I certainly CANNOT)

The person who ultimately becomes a Doctor ALWAYS wanted to be a Doctor
He/she goes to college with the intention of then continuing on to med school to become a Doctor. He/she, therefore HAS NOT changed his earning potential (I'm going to continue with the male pronoun...getting tired of typing he/she).Therefore, the interest paid on med school loans is NOT tax deductible because the INTENT was always to be a doctor.

Alternatively, the person who becomes a Lawyer DOES change his income potential by going to Law School and bettering oneself by doing so. He apparently WAS NOT certain that he was going to go to Law School after college. That Noble (where is the sarcasm smiley?) decision to pursue a career in The Law HAS increased the earning potential and therefore the taxes paid on Law School Loans IS tax deductible.

It's a crock of shyte.
There were MANY people in my med school class who started out doing other things--one was a nurse, one was a car salesman (true!), one didn't go to med school until he was 46 years old. Can anyone HONESTLY tell me that they hadn't increased their earning potential by subsequently going to med school?

There was a girl in my med school class who was married to a guy in Law school. When he graduated Law School, he then went to Med School. She did the opposite--med school first, then Law School (yes. They were BOTH driven overachievers and the most down-to-earth people you would ever want to meet). I wonder how they are dealing with all of this!

Likewise, I know some people who ALWAYS wanted to be Lawyers. They followed the common path of going to college first, and then to Law school. Explain why they get a tax break on their interest.

I don't get it, other than, as has been said, most legislators were lawyers first.

Disclaimer

No disrespect is meant to the lawyers on the forum----my only beef is that it should be fair for both
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
Indo
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i "stole" the meat scissors they handed me to cut my daughters umbilical cord.

does that make me bad? doesnt the hospitals charge for all those supplies, anyways?

i also took a spray bottle of mouth lidocaine my mom had when she had a throat tube in IR.

i was floored when i saw what they charger her for oxygen.
The tony stole something? Say it ain't so...

Hospitals can and do charge for supplies.
Doctor's offices cannot (well, you CAN---but you aren't getting paid for it----laughed at; but not paid)
Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #30
Indo
Head Coach

Oh, tony, you undoubtedly DID pay for the scissors---so you ain't The Rebel you thought you were!

P.S. the oxycontin is in the mail...)

Last edited by Indo; 04-09-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Indo is offline   Reply With Quote