Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #71
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: 45% of Doctors Retiring?

So rich = Corrupt lying douche and Working class = Noble and honest.

Maybe his lands should be seized and split into parcels, then given to the humble and noble working class in an egalitarian redistribution of wealth? That'll teach him, going off and getting an education and making a lot of money! Not in America, buddy!

Seriously, this misguided bitching about doctors' relative wealth does nothing at all to address the real problem here. Family/General Practice medicine was already facing extinction BEFORE this awful piece of legislature was passed. The problem will become exponentially worse now...
Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #72
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
So rich = Corrupt lying douche and Working class = Noble and honest.

Maybe his lands should be seized and split into parcels, then given to the humble and noble working class in an egalitarian redistribution of wealth? That'll teach him, going off and getting an education and making a lot of money! Not in America, buddy!

Seriously, this misguided bitching about doctors' relative wealth does nothing at all to address the real problem here. Family/General Practice medicine was already facing extinction BEFORE this awful piece of legislature was passed. The problem will become exponentially worse now...
So I'm curious...if it's OK for a Dr. to work hard and collect wealth, why are you so against an attorney playing within the bounds of the system (whether the system is broken or not) to make his/her money?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #73
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,425 Times in 1,661 Posts

This is the dumbest argument. People work hard to achieve what they have. Everybody at some point in their lives has tried to haggle or negotiate a better deal. So, rich or poor, haggling = evil. dumb

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #74
Bng_Hevn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14891

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i'm relatively certain i could adjust if my salary went from 1 mill a year to a measily 800 thou....

i mean it would be tough, have to really tighten that belt...maybe move from a 6 bedroom house to a 4 ... probably have to cut the maid back to 5 days a week....
What about the stress and hours they work? Show me 1 doctor who is not grossly overpaid that makes $1million per year on a 40 hour work week with 3 - 4 weeks vacation a year and I'll show you a TV show.
Bng_Hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #75
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
So I'm curious...if it's OK for a Dr. to work hard and collect wealth, why are you so against an attorney playing within the bounds of the system (whether the system is broken or not) to make his/her money?
Presumably, lawyers are intelligent.

There is a shortage of doctors. That shortage will grow. There is a shortage of homegrown scientists, mathematicians, and engineers. Yet, each year, hundreds of law schools sign up another 50,000 law students, and many, if not most, will go on to become lawyers. As of 2006, we had roughly 1.2 million lawyers in the US, or one lawyer for every 265 citizens. The US has more lawyers than the next SEVEN countries on the list of "most lawyers" combined., and we keep pumping them out year after year after year.

By way of comparison, the US has about 800,000 doctors. BUT there will be a huge amount of baby boomer Dr's retiring over the next ten years. In fact, I've read estimates that stated we need to be training anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 MORE doctors a year to keep up with population demands or we will be facing shortages in the mid-6 figures range by the middle of the next decade.

It takes a lot longer to train a doctor. They require a LOT more education than a lawyer. They are infinitely more important to the overall well-being of the society they live in. And we are running out of one and bursting at the seams with the other.

THAT'S the problem i have with lawyers....

PS Oh, and to address the other bit about me getting rejected from law school or dating a lawyer or whatever. Wrong. And wrong. Many of my closest friends are lawyers, and two of them are ChemE's with JD's....I give them all a hard time, too...

I was on my way to law school and realized A) I was sick of going to school after 18 years of it, and, B) The World has no need to for yet another lawyer.

Last edited by revefsreleets; 04-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #76
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Presumably, lawyers are intelligent.

There is a shortage of doctors. That shortage will grow. There is a shortage of homegrown scientists, mathematicians, and engineers. Yet, each year, hundreds of law schools sign up another 50,000 law students, and many, if not most, will go on to become lawyers. As of 2006, we had roughly 1.2 million lawyers in the US, or one lawyer for every 265 citizens. The US has more lawyers than the next SEVEN countries on the list of "most lawyers" combined., and we keep pumping them out year after year after year.

By way of comparison, the US has about 800,000 doctors. BUT there will be a huge amount of baby boomer Dr's retiring over the next ten years. In fact, I've read estimates that stated we need to be training anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 MORE doctors a year to keep up with population demands or we will be facing shortages in the mid-6 figures range by the middle of the next decade.

It takes a lot longer to train a doctor. They require a LOT more education than a lawyer. They are infinitely more important to the overall well-being of the society they live in. And we are running out of one and bursting at the seams with the other.

THAT'S the problem i have with lawyers....

PS Oh, and to address the other bit about me getting rejected from law school or dating a lawyer or whatever. Wrong. And wrong. Many of my closest friends are lawyers, and two of them are ChemE's with JD's....I give them all a hard time, too...

I was on my way to law school and realized A) I was sick of going to school after 18 years of it, and, B) The World has no need to for yet another lawyer.
I agree with what you are saying, for the most part, lots go to law school and don't become lawyers, but yes, there are a lot. If I understand you correctly, you have NO ISSUE with a lawyer becoming wealthy within the confines of the system, you just think there are too many lawyers?

Edit: The world always has a need for good lawyers, it's the unscrupulous ones we don't need. However, that goes with every profession Dr.'s included.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #77
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
I agree with what you are saying, for the most part, lots go to law school and don't become lawyers, but yes, there are a lot. If I understand you correctly, you have NO ISSUE with a lawyer becoming wealthy within the confines of the system, you just think there are too many lawyers?

Edit: The world always has a need for good lawyers, it's the unscrupulous ones we don't need. However, that goes with every profession Dr.'s included.
Yes. And Yes (I know some MDs that I wouldn't let touch my dog...).
Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #78
revefsreleets
Living Legend

There does need to be a certain SMALL amount of practicing lawyers. There are simply FAR FAR FAR TOO many of them.

The problem is that lawyers need lawsuits. The leech needs blood to suck. If we dumped an extra 500,000 auto body guys on society, they wouldn't find an extra 10,000,000 wrecked cars to work on because it doesn't work that way...the best analogy in that case would be those 500,000 auto body dudes driving around at 3AM randomly wrecking cars parked along the side of the road/in parking lots so they had work the next morning.

But that wouldn't work, either, because they'd all be arrested. But lawyers make the laws, AND make the laws are so complicated even THEY can't comprehend them, let alone every day ham-n-eggers like me. The inmates are in charge of the asylum, and there are MORE inmates being trained every day, not fewer...
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #79
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
There does need to be a certain SMALL amount of practicing lawyers. There are simply FAR FAR FAR TOO many of them.

The problem is that lawyers need lawsuits. The leech needs blood to suck. If we dumped an extra 500,000 auto body guys on society, they wouldn't find an extra 10,000,000 wrecked cars to work on because it doesn't work that way...the best analogy in that case would be those 500,000 auto body dudes driving around at 3AM randomly wrecking cars parked along the side of the road/in parking lots so they had work the next morning.

But that wouldn't work, either, because they'd all be arrested. But lawyers make the laws, AND make the laws are so complicated even THEY can't comprehend them, let alone every day ham-n-eggers like me. The inmates are in charge of the asylum, and there are MORE inmates being trained every day, not fewer...
I have always said 2 things regarding lawyers; it's never good when you need to talk to one, and they are self-perpetuating. I pride myself on being honest and ethical, I sleep well at night.