Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
atlee731
Water Boy

Member Number: 15893
Default Best Tradedown Partners?

The more I think about the options at 18, and while I favor Pouncey in round 1, it does seem a bit high to draft a center. So, who would be our best trading partners to move back a few places and still land Maurkice and what would we get back in return? I'd love to pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick and lose a 5th, 6th, or 7th.

Looking at the draft order, I could imagine:

20 Houston (targeting Ryan Mathews or Earl Thomas)

22 New England (targeting Graham or Bryant)

23 Green Bay (not sure)

24 Philadelphia (not sure)

Thoughts?
atlee731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Best Tradedown Partners?

I think Houston sits.

I can honestly see the Pats trading down to get more second round picks. They need to rebuild and get good value for their future dollars. They have shown that they love to build with 2nd rounders

Phili is a real candidate to move but I think they go top 5 to chase Eric Berry or Gerald McCoy if he somehow falls.

The ideal candidates are those teams who are in love with Mike Iupati. That is why I would throw Dallas in the mix. (hell even Pittsburgh West might want to get Faneca 2.0 for Russ Grimm)

My way of thinking is who is of best value at #18. My bet is Mike Iupati, Brandon Graham, Jason Pierre Paul and Earl Thomas.

Teams will trade up for O lineman and passrushers. Trades rarely happen in the top ten but they certainly do hot up in the bottom two thirds of the first round.

The ultimate wildcard in this whole scenario, as always is the Tebow side show. The latest buzz is that Tebow is now considered first round talent by many and someone is going to move up to get him.

Dont write off a team that has already picked in the first and is willing to give up a 2nd and next years first round pick. Pittsburgh will never go down that line, but other clubs have done that in the past.

I cant wait to see the trades that are done Thursday night to start off the second round. This draft is going to be wild.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Arizona, Green Bay and Dallas all need OT's....and are in bad positions to pick them up. they may be potential partners in a trade.

I think that San Diego wants NT Dan Williams and they are willing to wait until round 2 for a RB. Williams value is much higher than San Diegos pick at #28....so if they really covet him they might want to move up ahead of teams like Atlanta...Houston...Cincinnatti...who ALL need DT's and who ironcally pick at #19, #20, and #21....putting us in a VERY good spot for a trade.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
groundhogday
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5248

I think the Steelers should concentrate on moving up not down. We have 10 picks. A bunch won't make the team. We should move up in 1 to get someone like Haden/Thomas or be content on landing Pouncey, Wilson, or Iupati. At a minimu to trading down, it only needs to be so we can move back up into the second.
groundhogday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
mwittman5
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9332

remember the chargers picked up the seahawks early 2nd rd pick. maybe we can swap 1st rd picks with the chargers and get their 2nd rd pick that they got from the seahawks
Old 04-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

the 49ers are a great target
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Arizona, Green Bay and Dallas all need OT's....and are in bad positions to pick them up. they may be potential partners in a trade.

I think that San Diego wants NT Dan Williams and they are willing to wait until round 2 for a RB. Williams value is much higher than San Diegos pick at #28....so if they really covet him they might want to move up ahead of teams like Atlanta...Houston...Cincinnatti...who ALL need DT's and who ironcally pick at #19, #20, and #21....putting us in a VERY good spot for a trade.
Green Bay has stuck in my mind. They would really like an OT and if one is there, and we don't take him ourselves, they may come calling. Never thought much about SD but your right. If Williams slides to 18, and again if we don't want to take him they could call us as well. I'm pretty sure that we could get GB's 3rd round pick.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I personally dont see the Steelers trading down unless someone just blows their minds with a crazy offer. . . but thats just me
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Cmdurand21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13540

If a Safety like Earl Thomas is still on the board, we maybe be able to get the Saint 1st 3rd and 5th for our 1st and 6th. Pouncey might still be on the board then, but that's a long way to fall for just a 3rd and 5th. I think we'd only make a deal if there is no one we covet left on the board.
Cmdurand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
I personally dont see the Steelers trading down unless someone just blows their minds with a crazy offer. . . but thats just me
No its not just you. Most, if not all, of us would rather see us stay put and get one of the names we've been throwing around. This is just, what if talk.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote