Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #51
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911
Default Re: Stay with us Wiz !

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
I have heard all the Al Davis horror stories you can find. Do remember how tired you were/are of the spin the media used/is using to taint your SB win? Anyone with a brain knows it is bullsh*t. Try and see this the same way.

The Raiders and Al Davis are hated around the NFL, and the media feeds like a bunch of starving sharks off of it. I am not about to say that every bad thing you ever heard about Al Davis is a lie, but damn, most of it is far from the truth!
I doubt Ilkin, who was 'asked' by Art Shell to 'help-out' when Shell was Davis' Head Coach (Davis' response to Shell about Ilkin helping-out was "What do we need HIM for? YOU were an Offensive Lineman yourself!" ), would go on-air and make that claim unless it is widely known to be true, and/or couldn't back it up with witnesses.

If you wanna think that a few questionable calls during a football game will 'taint' this Super Bowl victory, so-be-it, but it won't be 'tainted' ANYWHERE-NEAR the level of Al Davis' track-record of dealing with people, and his football team's results the last 20 (7 playoff appearances, 6 playoff game wins ) seasons, which speak for themselves in Black & White.

If Coach Whisenhunt decides to take the job in Oakland, I wish him nothing but the best (until he plays the Stillers ):
all I'm saying is that he can do MUCH-BETTER if he waits......

Parcells is just another heart-beat from vapor-lock, too, if Jerry Jones will stay out of Whisenhunt's way, and the Raiders 'thug' modus-operandi began when they knocked-out Swann from behind, when he was 40 yards away from the play:
it had nothing to do with 'racism' when Art Shell was hired to coach that team years later.
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #52
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsteelers
I'm trying to figure out why you can find so much loyalty for an owner who has moved and tried to move his team several times, hasn't won in decades, brings in shady personnel/makes the wrong personnel moves and doesn't let his coaches do their job. The post about Gruden earlier was completely correct; he got out of there because he wasn't going to win because Davis is too offensive-minded.

Wiz is a great fit in Oakland and with Davis. There is no way he's not taking that job, so let's not be naive and wish him the best. He did a fantastic job and he deserves his chance to be great. Granted, success in Oakland can't be too difficult considering they've won nine games in two years, but Wiz won't be compared with Norv Turner. Best of luck Coach Wiz! Thanks for the Super Bowl!
Why are Browns fans so loyal to their team? Why are you so loyal to your team? The Steelers haven't exactly been setting the world on fire either, untill recently. Every team has or will go through a down period... the Raiders are experiencing their's now. I remember a time when I heard quite a few Steeler fans calling for Cowher's head.

I am a loyal Raiders fan because they have been my team for 38 years. I remember the glory days. No, we don't have as many SB wins as you do, but we have played in 5 of them and won 3 of them. The Raiders have appeared in the SB in 4 out of the last 5 decades.There aren't too many teams that can say that, in fact, no other team can say that. We have 3 SB wins, 3 AFC championships, 15 divisional championships, the winnigest record in the NFL on MNF, and untill recently, the Raiders were the winningest pro sports franchize in the world... period!

Why is anyone a loyal fan of whatever team they root for? I don't know. Would it be better if I were to become a die hard Steelers fan now, because my team is experiencing some bad years right now and the Steelers are on top? We all know what we call those kind of fans, don't we?

Enjoy your stay at the top. You may or may not be there for a while, who knows... In the NFL, nothing is forever. Look what happened to us after winning three staight AFC West titles, an AFC Championship and a SB apprearance!

Last edited by silver & black; 02-09-2006 at 03:36 PM.
silver & black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #53
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps
I doubt Ilkin, who was 'asked' by Art Shell to 'help-out' when Shell was Davis' Head Coach (Davis' response to Shell about Ilkin helping-out was "What do we need HIM for? YOU were an Offensive Lineman yourself!" ), would go on-air and make that claim unless it is widely known to be true, and/or couldn't back it up with witnesses.

If you wanna think that a few questionable calls during a football game will 'taint' this Super Bowl victory, so-be-it, but it won't be 'tainted' ANYWHERE-NEAR the level of Al Davis' track-record of dealing with people, and his football team's results the last 20 (7 playoff appearances, 6 playoff game wins ) seasons, which speak for themselves in Black & White.

If Coach Whisenhunt decides to take the job in Oakland, I wish him nothing but the best (until he plays the Stillers ):
all I'm saying is that he can do MUCH-BETTER if he waits......

Parcells is just another heart-beat from vapor-lock, too, if Jerry Jones will stay out of Whisenhunt's way, and the Raiders 'thug' modus-operandi began when they knocked-out Swann from behind, when he was 40 yards away from the play:
it had nothing to do with 'racism' when Art Shell was hired to coach that team years later.
I never said that a few bad calls would taint your victory. I came on here and stood up for the Steelers against that crap. I have not, and will not say anything to detract from what the Steelers did. I was using it to point out how the media will try to twist things to suit their need... most of the time it involves controversy... that's what sells.

This incident that you cited may very well have happened. All I'm saying is that, Al Davis is not the anti-christ that the media and the NFL make him out to be. It just makes for good press to keep the myth alive.

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute. Wiz is at the top of his game right now, this minute. His stock will never be as high as it is at this moment (possibly). What happens if the Steelers have a bad season next year? It doesn't seem likely, I know, but...

If he stays with the Steelers (which, I personnaly think he will) it is a gamble on his part that the Steelers will have another great season, and he will be sought for a HC position again. If the Steelers don't have that great season, for whatever reason... loss of players to FA, injury, etc.... then, hind sight looks real good. It is a tough situation to be in. I have no doubt that Wiz will be a HC somewhere, if it isn't with the Raiders, before his career is over.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #54
silver & black
Team President

Quote:

....... and the Raiders 'thug' modus-operandi began when they knocked-out Swann from behind, when he was 40 yards away from the play:
Did I throw out the racism card? No! The Raiders had a reputation for that kind of stuff way before that game or that particular play. I can see where you be upset over it. I would be too if I were a Steeler fan. The Raider's image was that of a hard hitting, intimidating, in your face, do something about it if you can, football team.

The "thug" thing is another animal altogether... an undesreved monacre. It definatley stems from the time of Art Shell, gangster rap, and gang bangers.

Last edited by silver & black; 02-09-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #55
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
Wiz is at the top of his game right now, this minute. His stock will never be as high as it is at this moment.
You are correct on all counts here, he is in a position to deal from STRENGTH, not weakness, so why would Whisenhunt subject himself to a once-proud organization, whose owner, if he looked at who REALLY ran his team so-poorly the last 20+ years (himself ), would fire that man instantly, yet he won't allow himself to do that?

Evereybody here realizes and accepts that Whisenhunt will become a Head Coach, and that he'd probably like to do it sooner-rather-than-later:
I just don't think that he has-to jump at THIS job, at THIS time, for THIS owner/organization.....

He'd be better-served if he could find structured team/organization, with either a young QB and 'mould' him (ala Manning in New York ), or take an aging super-star with something left in the tank, as Shanahan did in Denver with Elway in the late-'90s:
at this time, Oakland offers neither the 'stability', nor the QB, for either criteria to be met.....

..... but as my Dad used-to-say "what the Hell do 'I' know about football....."
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #56
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
You are correct on all counts here, he is in a position to deal from STRENGTH, not weakness, so why would Whisenhunt subject himself to a once-proud organization, whose owner, if he looked at who REALLY ran his team so-poorly the last 20+ years (himself ), would fire that man instantly, yet he won't allow himself to do that?

Evereybody here realizes and accepts that Whisenhunt will become a Head Coach, and that he'd probably like to do it sooner-rather-than-later:
I just don't think that he has-to jump at THIS job, at THIS time, for THIS owner/organization.....

He'd be better-served if he could find structured team/organization, with either a young QB and 'mould' him (ala Manning in New York ), or take an aging super-star with something left in the tank, as Shanahan did in Denver with Elway in the late-'90s:
at this time, Oakland offers neither the 'stability', nor the QB, for either criteria to be met.....

..... but as my Dad used-to-say "what the Hell do 'I' know about football....."
I understand where you are coming from, but I also think that you are letting your bias against Al Davis get the better of you. The Raiders haven't been as bad as it seems over the past 20 years. As good as they used to be? No. But they haven't been at the bottom either, except for these past three dismal years. C'mon, they were just in the SB three years ago! They won the AFC West in 2000 - 2001 - 2002.

You don't think that Andrew Walter is a good young QB that the Wiz could work with? He moves in the pocket very well, avoids sacks, has a big arm and deep accuracy. He is 6'7" and 235 lbs. He is almost a clone of Ben. I would think Wiz would love to work with him.