Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default How does Holmes trade impact Steelers’ draft plans?

How does Holmes trade impact Steelers’ draft plans?
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/12/how-...s-draft-plans/
(There is a video with this. Check the URL if interested. - mesa)

Posted: April 12th, 2010 | Frank Tadych | Tags: Brian Baldinger, Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Kyle Wilson, Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Iupati, Mike Wallace, Pat Kirwan, Santonio Holmes

Now that Santonio Holmes has been jettisoned (couldn’t resist with that one), how does Sunday’s trade impact the Steelers’ draft plans?

With Holmes, it was widely thought the Steelers would address needs at cornerback or along the offensive line with the No. 18 pick. In fact, in all three of our in-house mock drafts, Boise State CB Kyle Wilson was the pick for the Steelers. Connections have also been made to G/T Mike Iupati and G/C Maurkice Pouncey.

Even with the stated belief in Mike Wallace after a fine rookie season, there’s now a void at receiver for the Steelers, a definite “need” to address in the draft for a team that historically drafts by taking the best player available. As it stands, Wallace is in line to join Hines Ward (now 34) in the starting lineup, with Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle and Limus Sweed as the backups.

Pat Kirwan noted in his weekly chat Monday he now wouldn’t be surprised to see the Steelers look to Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas at No. 18, given that Dez Bryant would be off the board.

An interesting opinion floated by analyst Brian Baldinger is that the Steelers want to get back to a run-focused offense next season, lending credence to taking an interior lineman with their first pick. The Steelers hold 11 picks, giving them plenty of ammunition to manuever in the draft.

Following the trade of Holmes, it seems the Steelers at the very least have put themselves in the market for a receiver in the early rounds.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts
Default Re: How does Holmes trade impact Steelers’ draft plans?

i sure hope santurdio doesnt affect our draft. we are finally in position to address defensive depth and maybe even get a top db we havent had since polamalu.

with all the needs this team has had, another wr just pisses me off.

while i usually agree with pat kirwan, his recent stance is we need to take d. thomas, and t. pike with our 1st and 2nd/(or early 3rd), respectively.

if arians cant work with the offensive skill position players he already gots, then he is beyond hope.

if the steelers dont like s. holmes twitter douchbaggery, they better not check out what "big time" bill gay is up to in his twitter lyfe, because it is much of the same. a player who can possibly be a top nickelback and fill in if troy or clark gets hurt would seem to be the BPA if you ask me.

townsend, carter, and possibly gay are nearing the end of their careers in the black and gold.

we already got ball catchers.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Sick

3rd round or later we might grab a WR.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
wdsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15938

i dont want to see a WR till 4 or 5...and 4 is if someone drops to us
wdsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

I don't think Holmes affects our draft.

But this is significant for Limas.

He gets 1 last chance, when i mean last, it's make or break year for him to be a good reciever or someone who's unemplyed watching the steelers on sundays thinking "what if i caught that".
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

I mean since the HYPOCRITE Steelers are soooo concerned about " Character ",,,then Isn't it obvious ?
The Steelers HAVE to draft Texas WR Jordan Shippley. The dude may not be fast..( 4.68 forty )...or Athletic.
But he IS a confirmed Christian. And has never ever had a Beer or any other Alcoholic drink,,or even a soda for that matter. I mean the dude IS GOD!! So the Steelers NEED to take the good " White " kid,,,rather than those Horrid Ghetto raised " Black " kids. I mean they are nothing but trouble,,,right ? ( Insert Sarcasm here )
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I think he does affect this draft whether anyone likes it or not. I started a thread a good while back saying that I thought the Steelers needed to take a WR early in the draft . . but not in the 1st round. Now I hope that we get our OL and Secondary taken care of in the 1st 2 rounds, but I guess we will have to wait n see. Good luck to Holmes until he faces the Steelers this season.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
I mean since the HYPOCRITE Steelers are soooo concerned about " Character ",,,then Isn't it obvious ?
The Steelers HAVE to draft Texas WR Jordan Shippley. The dude may not be fast..( 4.68 forty )...or Athletic.
But he IS a confirmed Christian. And has never ever had a Beer or any other Alcoholic drink,,or even a soda for that matter. I mean the dude IS GOD!! So the Steelers NEED to take the good " White " kid,,,rather than those Horrid Ghetto raised " Black " kids. I mean they are nothing but trouble,,,right ? ( Insert Sarcasm here )
Maybe its just me, but I dont remember anyone making this thing a Racist thing bud. Nothing wrong with trying to live your life right and going to church and being a born again Christian either.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

Quote:
Did I miss something?
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Quote:
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote