Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Wake up, Big Ben ... you're definitely not invincible

Wake up, Big Ben ... you're definitely not invincible
April 12, 2010
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...ainer;TeamNews

You would think a near-death experience would change a man, make him appreciate people more.

Be nicer.

Be wiser.

Be considerate of others.

It sure didn't do that to Ben Roethlisberger.

If anything, his motorcycle crash of four years ago has made him even more invincible, which is a mortal sin of the modern athlete.

They think nothing can take them down.

They forget the one thing that can and usually does cut their legs out as they fail in the game of life.

Themselves.

Roethlisberger, the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback, is getting off free on his latest misstep in Georgia, no charges being filed for an alleged sexual charge. The district attorney announced Monday the alleged victim didn't want to press charges.

Roethlisberger's biggest problem is what stares back at him in the mirror every day, an own-the-world athlete who isn't at all humbled by his near-death experience.

He came into the league an arrogant rookie who didn't exactly endear himself to his teammates. Then he won two Super Bowls, which had some of his teammates wondering how he fits his helmet on his head.

Anybody have a size 11 for bowling-ball head?

For a brief time after the motorcycle crash, some say Roethlisberger actually seemed humbled. Reflection can do that to a man.

Then he won his second Super Bowl. Big Ben went to his head.

Team insiders say he became surly again. There are reports of him treating people rudely in public. He wasn't warm and fuzzy with his teammates, even if he did take his linemen to some wrestling night out, making it look like he cared.

True story: In 2008, while the Steelers were en route to another Super Bowl, I actually had some Steelers players saying the team would have been better off with Roethlisberger on the bench.
Video

Steelers deal Holmes to Jets
Links

DA: Not enough evidence to prosecute Big Ben

Ex-Steeler Holmes suspended four games

Prisco: Don't cross the Rooneys

That's 100 percent true.

When the Steelers won the Super Bowl, thanks to a memorable late-game drive and touchdown pass in the final seconds, Roethlisberger had two rings, enough bling to earn him a pass.

How do you tone down a player with that success?

Last summer, a woman in Nevada accused him of a sexual assault, but no charge was filed. She did file a civil suit.

The latest incident happened at a college bar with a coed who was too young to drink legally. Roethlisberger followed her into a bathroom in that bar, guessing by most college bars it had to be a pretty nasty little place.

What happened in there is unknown, and might never be known.

But why go?

Isn't that below him? Or is it?

You would think a Super Bowl quarterback might date a supermodel and actually have some fun in his own home, not some stinky bathroom in some college bar. But you hear stories about how athletes love the quick sex fix, often ducking into cars or bar bathrooms. This is not surprising.

I want to caution that we all have to be careful here. By the book of the law, Roethlisberger isn't guilty of any crime.

By the rules of life, he is definitely guilty of stupidity.

If the woman pressed on, it might have become the night the lights went out on his career in Georgia.

His whole act is arrogance, the I-can't-be-taken-down arrogance.

I'm Ben Roethlisberger. I can do anything.

That act is tiring.

The Steelers and the NFL need to tighten the leash because obviously this dog needs one. Without it, he can't seem to control himself. He puts himself in really dumb situations.

The Steelers sent receiver Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round pick Sunday night. Word was they would have let him go if they didn't trade him. And he was a 1,200-yard receiver in 2009, the Super Bowl hero the year before, in the prime of his career.

The Steelers tired of his act. Anybody can go, right?

It's tougher to grow weary of a quarterback's act since he is the cornerstone of the franchise. You don't let guys like Roethlisberger just walk away.

But if he doesn't change, the Rooney Family, which owns the team, might have no choice.

Then again, if he doesn't change, he might be playing for that same team that Mike Vick once starred on, the prison-yard bunch of has-beens and wannabes.

There are plenty of nasty bathrooms for you in there, but no coeds, Ben.

Think about that. You are not invincible, even if you think you are.

For more from Pete Prisco, check him out on Twitter: @PriscoCBS
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Wake up, Big Ben ... you're definitely not invincible

I will be so glad when everyone gets their potshot in and we can go back to talking about football.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
ysgi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3419

Ummm..What did Ben do wrong again? I musta missed that?
ysgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

People suck, end of story.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
Atranox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15471

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysgi View Post
Ummm..What did Ben do wrong again? I musta missed that?
Apparently enough to get him accused of rape not once, but twice.

The girl had cuts, bruises, bleeding, etc. You know, I know, and anyone with common sense knows something happened. Whether or not he raped her, we'll never know - but we must assume that he didn't given the evidence. Regardless, he's an absolute moron for getting into these situations.

Not, he doesn't need to be a damned hermit...but for a $100 million contract, you would think that he would be smart enough not to **** a drunk chick in a damn club bathroom, consensual or not. As a franchise quarterback and a star, no, he doesn't get to act like a "normal" guy...if that's really what is considered to be normal.
Atranox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I will be so glad when everyone gets their potshot in and we can go back to talking about football.
September can't get here soon enough for me. The verbal floggings all saying the same goddamned things are getting old.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

Who is Pete Prisco?
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
ysgi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atranox View Post
Apparently enough to get him accused of rape not once, but twice.

The girl had cuts, bruises, bleeding, etc. You know, I know, and anyone with common sense knows something happened. Whether or not he raped her, we'll never know - but we must assume that he didn't given the evidence. Regardless, he's an absolute moron for getting into these situations.

Not, he doesn't need to be a damned hermit...but for a $100 million contract, you would think that he would be smart enough not to **** a drunk chick in a damn club bathroom, consensual or not. As a franchise quarterback and a star, no, he doesn't get to act like a "normal" guy...if that's really what is considered to be normal.
So you're saying he didn't do a Damn thing wrong. I concur.
Isn't it strange knowing that you are as guilty as he is.

-ysgi
ysgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #9
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Hey pot-shot at Vick too! Who served his time and came back wanting to redo it right.

Way to go Pricko...er...Prisco, it seems you are a modern paragon of virtue.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote