Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Has Roethlisberger learned his lesson?

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...k/default.aspx
Apr 13 2010
Has Roethlisberger learned his lesson?

By Bob Smizik | Tuesday, 12:30 a.m.

What’s next for Ben Roethlisberger?

I’d be shocked if a suspension -- two to four games -- were not in his future. He committed no crime -- wasn’t even charged with a crime -- but his behavior was disgraceful. Look for commissioner Roger Goodell to take action. Roethlisberger has embarrassed the NFL -- big time.

But what about after that?

There’s reason to be concerned about Roethlisberger. There’s reason to wonder if he learned anything from this experience.

I hope I’m wrong, but in making his statement last night Roethlisberger acted like a man who did nothing wrong. He acted like he had come out of a bad chapter in his life unscathed. Oh, that it were so.

Roethlisberger was cleared yesterday of sexual assault charges leveled against him in early March, which means he will not go to trial. But his trial in the court of public opinion continues and he’s losing.

Some people on this blog thought District Attorney Fred Bright was too tough on Roethlisberger in discussing the case during a news conference yesterday. He was tough all right, but not too tough.

Roethlisberger is a 28-year-old internationally known celebrity multimillionaire who tried to take advantage of a drunken 20-year-old college female student, who was impressed with his status and eager to gulp down the free booze Roethlisberger was offering the sorority girls.

We can only hope Roethlsgberger realizes how wrong that behavior is. He gave no indication of that yesterday with his first public words since the incident, which occurred in Milledgeville, Ga. on the night of March 4-5

During a news conference yesterday, Bright said some things that put Roethlisberger in am unfavorable light.

The DA said the women in question told police -- after first saying he didn't -- that Roethlisberger raped her. The DA also mentioned that Roethlisberger basically lied to the police by claiming the women had a head injury when, in fact, she never complained of such an injury and there was no evidence of it.

The DA also said there was DNA evidence found on the women that was of a male human but there was not enough to determine to whom it belonged. But it was enough to make you wonder since Roethlisberger and the women had spent time together in a small bathroom in the bar where they were drinking.

With all that just a few hours behind him, Roethlisberger had the nerve to stand up in the Steelers locker room on the South Side last night and say, `I'd like to begin by expressing gratitude for the thorough investigation process in Georgia and the prosecutor's decision not to bring charges.

``I know without a doubt it is the right conclusion.’’

If the case were a football game, Roethlisberger made it sound like his team won 48-0. Not so, Ben. You won, but the score was more like, 10-7.

This episode has cast a large shadow over Roethlisberger’s character and he did nothing -- absolutely nothing -- to alter that image with his words last night.

He would have been better advised to stay silent rather than stand in front of a group of reporters and read words that someone else wrote for him and come across as a man who doesn’t seem to realize he did something grievously wrong.

The only smart thing he did last night was not take questions. No answers from him could have erased the words of Bright earlier in the day when he painted Roethlisberger as a jerk. When he told him to ``grow up.’’

When he said, `` . . . you don't need to be in the VIP area drinking alcohol . . . You don't need to put yourself in position of 'These ladies, come over the back and these shots are on me,' whatever . . .

"You need to be a role model for your team, your city, the NFL. You can do better."

He sure can. But based on what we’ve seen, he’s learned nothing.

(I'm begging to wonder if Ben has a alcohol abuse problem. I would not be surprised by a four game suspension and forced counseling, Sex in a bathroom with a 20 year old that he helped get drunk? Very Very Ugly. One more strike and Ben will be gone from the Steelers. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,168 Times in 432 Posts
Default Re: Has Roethlisberger learned his lesson?

Quote:
Some people on this blog thought District Attorney Fred Bright was too tough on Roethlisberger in discussing the case during a news conference yesterday. He was tough all right, but not too tough.
No, he was completely out of line. His job was to relay the news that there was insufficient evidence to bring charges, which he did and is where he should have left it, but he didn't. Giving Ben a public "lecture" like some high school principal sprinkled with innuendo in regards to Ben's "moral guilt" wasn't his place to do.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Yeah, that was really out of the ordinary for a DA.

I was shocked when I read the transcript, it is galling to see a DA conduct himself in such a way.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,224 Times in 800 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

I'm glad the D.A. told him to grow up. The more people there are telling him to grow up the more he might actually become introspective for a change.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'm glad the D.A. told him to grow up. The more people there are telling him to grow up the more he might actually become introspective for a change.
X2
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
ysgi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3419

Its not the DA's place to act like Ben's dad. That DA is just making the most out of his 15 minutes. Guess what, he wants to be Gov of GA. How better than to use the national press to squeeze as much face time as possible.

The DA is the one RAPING the system. Think about it.
His job is to decide whether or not to press charges. Why DID HE NEED A PRESS CONFERENCE when a memo would do. Do you ever hear the SUPREME COURT hold a national PRESS CONFERENCE to tell give a tongue lashing to someone they WONT hear the case of? NO YOU DONT. why - cause its not necessary.
ysgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,224 Times in 800 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysgi View Post
Its not the DA's place to act like Ben's dad. That DA is just making the most out of his 15 minutes. Guess what, he wants to be Gov of GA. How better than to use the national press to squeeze as much face time as possible.

The DA is the one RAPING the system. Think about it.
His job is to decide whether or not to press charges. Why DID HE NEED A PRESS CONFERENCE when a memo would do. Do you ever hear the SUPREME COURT hold a national PRESS CONFERENCE to tell give a tongue lashing to someone they WONT hear the case of? NO YOU DONT. why - cause its not necessary.
A press conference was necessary to set the whole ****ed-up record straight. There was so much misinformation being passed around that to simply let the case die without closure would have resulted in people formulating grand conspiracy theories about what happened, and getting away with it.

As for the D.A., Ben Roethlisberger needs as many fathers as he can get right now, because apparently one isn't enough.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

You won't know the answer to that question until the next off season.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote