Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
SteelCityMom
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Member Number:
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

OpEd news....really. I think I'll stick with what the actual labor statistics are.

I'm sure there's nobody working in the government or reporting on this matter who would be biased enough to work the numbers in their favor to appear higher.

I just can't take your whole post seriously if the numbers you are comparing the US to are incorrect.

And if you truly don't believe that the numbers of unemployment are correct now, then there's no way you can say with any certainty that the 6% figure from 2007 that you were using from the graph as the crutch of your argument are correct either. What if that number was much higher than what was posted by the government? See my point here?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Bng_Hevn
Draft Prospect
 
Bng_Hevn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Member Number: 14891
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the unemployment rate was 9.7 % in march 2010.... the unemployment rate was 9.7 % in 1982 and 9.6 % in 1983.... who was the president during those years ?

Annual average unemployment rate, civilian labor force 16 years and over (percent)
http://www.bls.gov/cps/prev_yrs.htm
Those were the beginning years of Reagan. Who was the President that caused all that unemployment? Where was the rate of unemployment when Reagan left office?

Obama didn't cause the initial spike, so that is not on his shoulders. He took office in 1/09, you can't blame him for what was already happening.

Nor can you blame Bush as he did not force people to default on mortgages.

I think the two situations are completely different. Reagan took over for Carter who had self-inflicted wounds and was better capable of overcoming them because it was due to policies, not the economy tanking due to idiot banks giving out idiot loans.

With that said, Obama is making the situation worse, not better.
Bng_Hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
Bng_Hevn
Draft Prospect
 
Bng_Hevn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Member Number: 14891
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
OpEd news....really. I think I'll stick with what the actual labor statistics are.

I'm sure there's nobody working in the government or reporting on this matter who would be biased enough to work the numbers in their favor to appear higher.

I just can't take your whole post seriously if the numbers you are comparing the US to are incorrect.

And if you truly don't believe that the numbers of unemployment are correct now, then there's no way you can say with any certainty that the 6% figure from 2007 that you were using from the graph as the crutch of your argument are correct either. What if that number was much higher than what was posted by the government? See my point here?
I am against Obama-ism as much as anyone but I have to agree. You can't have it both ways, so which is it?

The thing I hate most about liberals is that they throw a whole bunch of crap against the wall without any evidence to convince themselves. The same thing you appear to be doing here.
Bng_Hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,481
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 175
Thanked 952 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the unemployment rate was 9.7 % in march 2010.... the unemployment rate was 9.7 % in 1982 and 9.6 % in 1983.... who was the president during those years ?

Annual average unemployment rate, civilian labor force 16 years and over (percent)
http://www.bls.gov/cps/prev_yrs.htm
And it was 7.6% in January 2009 when The Savior assumed his throne....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
SteelCityMom
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Member Number:
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bng_Hevn View Post
I am against Obama-ism as much as anyone but I have to agree. You can't have it both ways, so which is it?

The thing I hate most about liberals is that they throw a whole bunch of crap against the wall without any evidence to convince themselves. The same thing you appear to be doing here.

I too am against Obama, and am not a liberal. But I am not throwing a bunch of "crap against the wall" w/o any evidence. I'm merely bringing up the point that the OP presented an argument that was filled with false information. I despise arguments that present false facts. If you can point out where I presented any information w/o evidence to back it up that would be great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,155
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,665
Thanked 4,967 Times in 1,848 Posts
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
OpEd news....really. I think I'll stick with what the actual labor statistics are.

I'm sure there's nobody working in the government or reporting on this matter who would be biased enough to work the numbers in their favor to appear higher.

I just can't take your whole post seriously if the numbers you are comparing the US to are incorrect.

And if you truly don't believe that the numbers of unemployment are correct now, then there's no way you can say with any certainty that the 6% figure from 2007 that you were using from the graph as the crutch of your argument are correct either. What if that number was much higher than what was posted by the government? See my point here?
In 2007 if somebody wanted a job they went and applied and had a good chance of getting said job. Now not so much, lots of people have given up looking. So if you believe the low #'s the government puts out, there's something wrong.

Quote:
I too am against Obama, and am not a liberal. But I am not throwing a bunch of "crap against the wall" w/o any evidence. I'm merely bringing up the point that the OP presented an argument that was filled with false information. I despise arguments that present false facts. If you can point out where I presented any information w/o evidence to back it up that would be great.
Then stay out of it.


Quote:
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the official unemployment rate is 10%, a figure which itself caused a major headline to blare, "U.S. Job Losses Dim Hopes for Quick Upswing."

But in fact real unemployment in the United States is stuck at a dismal 19%, a figure nearly twice the so-called official number.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leo-hi..._b_420108.html
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
SteelCityMom
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Member Number:
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
In 2007 if somebody wanted a job they went and applied and had a good chance of getting said job. Now not so much, lots of people have given up looking. So if you believe the low #'s the government puts out, there's something wrong.
I'm not saying there isn't a problem...I'm just telling you the overall number (probably for all of the countries in the graph) are wrong. I would think if you wanted to make a clear cut point, you would use facts, not misinformation. I also don't agree with adding part time and marginally employed workers to the list (which of course boosts it up to your 19%). First off, the BLS goes off of employees 16 and above and not many 16-21 year olds work full time jobs. And full time can mean anything from 15-39 hours/week. Again, I know there's a problem, but it's not as good as the BLS says it is, and it's probably not as bad as the Huffington Post says it is either.



Quote:
Then stay out of it.
Why should I stay out of it? Because you don't like being challenged? You still haven't responded about me questioning the 6% unemployment rate for 2007 that you used as the crutch of your argument. If you feel that the numbers are skewed today, do you think the numbers then were higher too? Or is it just convenient now that a democrat is in office to skew numbers? You can't just rely on broad statements like "it was easier to get a job then, and it's not as easy now" to make your argument.

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 04-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #18
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,155
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,665
Thanked 4,967 Times in 1,848 Posts
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Is it easier to get a job now or then?
Yes, it's harder to get a job with a socialist in office.


Quote:
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the official unemployment rate is 10%, a figure which itself caused a major headline to blare, "U.S. Job Losses Dim Hopes for Quick Upswing."

But in fact real unemployment in the United States is stuck at a dismal 19%, a figure nearly twice the so-called official number.
Facts is facts!
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
SteelCityMom
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Member Number:
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Is it easier to get a job now or then?
Yes, it's harder to get a job with a socialist in office.




Facts is facts!
Come on....I know you can argue your point better than this. Quit sidestepping any questions I ask.

You stated in your original post that the US had an unemployment rate of 6%...and I'm assuming your happy taking that number from the BLS (since that is at least close to the number they give for that year...the actual number the BLS gave was 4.6, not a huge margin though). Then you stated that a liberal utopia like Finland was the perfect example of how a socialist country has astronomically high unemployment rates...when in fact, the actual number is way off. Then I gave you an example of a country (Norway) that is heavily liberal (by your standards anyway), and is one of the most prosperous nations in the world, has some of the highest standards of living in the world and has some of the lowest, if not THE lowest unemployment rate in the world....yet you say nothing to this?

I know there's an unemployment problem in the US, but again, you can't just make a broad argument and compare our unemployment rates to those of other countries rates when the numbers your giving are all wrong. It does not make your argument appear to be a strong one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #20
Leftoverhard
Team Captain
 
Leftoverhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 808
Member Number: 9337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 10% Unemployment is normal in SOCIALIST COUNTRIES....

Watch out SCMom - you're either with them or against them. Soon you'll be a labeled a socialist nazi commie bastard like the rest of us who aren't right wing extremists around here.

Mach - I love how your unemployment rate gets higher and higher with every post. Why 21%? Let's call it an even 40%. And why stop at blaming Obama for our current 70% unemployment rate? I'm pretty sure there's a way we can peg him for the Great Depression too. The way the unemployment rate is growing in this thread, by the time I'm done typing it will be at 90%.
__________________
http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9337&dateline=1223313868
Leftoverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts