Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Bires: No respect for Roethlisberger

Bires: No respect for Roethlisberger
TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...lisberger.html
Tuesday April 13, 2010 07:25 AM

PITTSBURGH _ I don’t know about you, but I could care less if Ben Roethlisberger ever throws another pass for the Steelers.

It’s said that time heals all wounds and that we’re a forgiving people. Still, I’ve lost all respect for the man.

He may have been cleared on a rape charge, but he obviously has some serious issues to resolve.

And so do the Steelers.

On Monday when a Georgia district attorney announced he didn’t have enough evidence to prosecute, he did provide ugly details of what happened in a college-town bar in the wee hours of March 5.

Those details of Roethlisberger’s 28th birthday party escapade _ he called it “Ben-a-palooza” _ paint a disturbing portrait of the kind of guy Roethlisberger really is.

By trying to take advantage of an intoxicated 20-year-old college student, Roethlibserger shamed himself, his family, his team and the NFL.

How can any parent ever again buy a Steelers’ jersey with the No. 7 on it and give it to his kid?

Why would any one, child or adult, ever want to wear a Roethlisberger jersey?

"We do not prosecute morals. We prosecute crimes,” Fred Bright, the Ocmulgee (Ga.) Judicial Circuit District Attorney, explained during his 55-minute press conference.

Bright later said that if he were Roethlisberger’s father, he’d tell him to “Grow up” and that “You're supposed to stand for something … you need to be a role model for your team, your city, the NFL. You can do better.”

With TVs in the Steelers’ headquarters tuned into Bright’s riveting press conference, a team executive walked by a group of reporters and said, “Good news.”

In other words, this particular fellow was happy Roethlisberger will be running the offense this year and perhaps for years to come.

But there’s a very good chance Roethlisberger won’t play in the season opener.

This week, Roethlisberger is expected to meet with Roger Goodell, who’s made it a priority during his four-year reign as NFL commissioner to strictly enforce the league’s personal conduct code.

Since Roethlisberger is already being sued by a woman from Lake Tahoe, Nev., for sexual assault, Goodell is almost sure to suspend Roethlisberger. It could be a game. It could be two. It could be more.

Even if Goodell doesn’t suspend Roethlisberger, the Steelers should.

You would think that team president Art Rooney II wouldn’t want to come across as a hypocrite.

After all, the Steelers did unload their other hero from the Super Bowl XLIII win. On Monday, wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who caught the game-winning TD pass from Roethlisberger in SB43, was basically given away to the New York Jets for just a fifth-round draft pick.

Granted, Holmes has had several legal problems since he was drafted in 2006. That’s why his latest brushes with the law _ an incident in an Orlando bar on March 7 and a four-game suspension handed down Monday for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy _ forced the Steelers to sever ties with him.

For his mistakes, Holmes was sent packing.

We shall see what punishment Roethlisberger receives from the Steelers.

Besides suspending Roethlisberger, the Steelers could also order him to seek counseling. If he doesn’t comply, they could cut him.

If Roethlisberger agrees to get professional help, the Steelers should tell him that he already has two strikes against him and that one more incident will be strike 3.

Yes, these are indeed sad and troubling times for the Steelers, who for years have been regarded as one of the most respected franchises in any sport.

Kicker Jeff Reed had two run-ins with the law last year (smashing a towel dispenser in a convenient store, and disordery conduct and public drunkeness).

Linebacker James Harrison was arrested for simple assault two years ago for hitting his girlfriend.

Holmes couldn’t stay out of trouble.

But what’s really sad is that the face of the franchise _ the man who signed an 8-year, $102 million contract two years ago _ is among those soiling the Steelers’ once-proud image.

Nine months ago, Roethlisberger was forced to discuss a sexual assault lawsuit filed against him at a press conference at team headquarters. Standing behind Roethlisberger that day in a show of support were coach Mike Tomlin and personnel director Kevin Colbert.

When Roethlisberger met the press Monday night, Tomlin and Colbert were nowhere to be found.

How can anyone in the organization respect Roethlisberger right now?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,160 Times in 429 Posts
Default Re: Bires: No respect for Roethlisberger

Lather, rinse, repeat.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I'm sure Mike Bires is a real saint, never done a thing wrong in his life. Cream of the crop and all that bullshit!!

I'm not defending Ben but I've made my share of mistakes and I've learned from them.The fact that Ben read from a card during his press conference leaves me questioning his sincerity. I hope he has learned and got the message that NO ONE is exempt.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Whos Mike Briers?
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

"The fact that Ben read from a card during his press conference leaves me questioning his sincerity."

Me too. Have you watched Tiger Woods' press conference at the Masters? Humongous difference between the 2 individuals.
Ben's gonna have to do much better than that when he's grilled during his civil lawsuit in Nevada, otherwise a big chunk of his signing bonus will be gone.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
Whos Mike Briers?
Steelers beat reporter for the The Beaver County Times
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
ysgi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3419

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Bires: No respect for Roethlisberger
TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...lisberger.html
Tuesday April 13, 2010 07:25 AM

PITTSBURGH _ I don’t know about you, but I could care less if Ben Roethlisberger ever throws another pass for the Steelers.

It’s said that time heals all wounds and that we’re a forgiving people. Still, I’ve lost all respect for the man.

He may have been cleared on a rape charge, but he obviously has some serious issues to resolve.

And so do the Steelers.

On Monday when a Georgia district attorney announced he didn’t have enough evidence to prosecute, he did provide ugly details of what happened in a college-town bar in the wee hours of March 5.

Those details of Roethlisberger’s 28th birthday party escapade _ he called it “Ben-a-palooza” _ paint a disturbing portrait of the kind of guy Roethlisberger really is.

By trying to take advantage of an intoxicated 20-year-old college student, Roethlibserger shamed himself, his family, his team and the NFL.

How can any parent ever again buy a Steelers’ jersey with the No. 7 on it and give it to his kid?

Why would any one, child or adult, ever want to wear a Roethlisberger jersey?

"We do not prosecute morals. We prosecute crimes,” Fred Bright, the Ocmulgee (Ga.) Judicial

How can anyone in the organization respect Roethlisberger right now?

Looks like this D-bag was looking for a story and couldn't come up with anything REAL, so he just threw up a flare to see how it worked out. And it looks like the OP and plenewken took it hook-line-sinker.
Most of you on here have never been to a REAL club, and I'd say that of that ALMOST NONE have been in a VIP area where is costs $1000 per bottle JUST TO GET IN.
Well lemme tell you what happens in there. Its a lot like making sausage, you just accept it until someone points out the gory details that you weren't aware of. Go back to your useless lives of living vicariously thru sports figures and wait to be disappointed again. Boys will be boys, and Ben will be Ben. Its his life NOT YOURS. But AGAIN - HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING WRONG.

Ben ain't goin' nowhere, so I will wait to see the membership for this board fall by at least 2. We don't need yinz. He didn't even need to address the media. HE DOESN'T HAVE TO. He gives you an inch and you want a mile. You cut down his attire, his warts, and his hair. Then you criticize the fact that he read the statement. How LAME are you all????
ysgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysgi View Post
Looks like this D-bag was looking for a story and couldn't come up with anything REAL, so he just threw up a flare to see how it worked out. And it looks like the OP and plenewken took it hook-line-sinker.
Most of you on here have never been to a REAL club, and I'd say that of that ALMOST NONE have been in a VIP area where is costs $1000 per bottle JUST TO GET IN.
Well lemme tell you what happens in there. Its a lot like making sausage, you just accept it until someone points out the gory details that you weren't aware of. Go back to your useless lives of living vicariously thru sports figures and wait to be disappointed again. Boys will be boys, and Ben will be Ben. Its his life NOT YOURS. But AGAIN - HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING WRONG.

Ben ain't goin' nowhere, so I will wait to see the membership for this board fall by at least 2. We don't need yinz. He didn't even need to address the media. HE DOESN'T HAVE TO. He gives you an inch and you want a mile. You cut down his attire, his warts, and his hair. Then you criticize the fact that he read the statement. How LAME are you all????
Dude,

I could give 2 sh*ts what you think of Ben and of me, but don't try to lecture me, ok?
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,166 Times in 782 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

If any of you sincerely believe that Ben Roethlisberger "didn't do anything wrong," then you're fools who can't see the forest for the trees. A crime doesn't have to be committed in order for the team, the city and the league to be embarrassed -- and I have never been so embarrassed for this team as I am today.
Gnutella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
polamalubeast
Starter

Member Number: 16032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
and I have never been so embarrassed for this team as I am today.
It is the same for me.

I am very embarrassed to know that happen in the last month on the steelers.

It is not easy to make at this time .... I understand the decision to let the steelers Santonio Holmes, it's hard to accept but we just lose because I believe Holmes has the potential to be a big star in this league, but with the reasons we know the steelers have had no choice but to let go and I respect the decision of rooney

I have long been made against the Ben may be suspended, but now I would respect the decision of Goodell (or Ronney) if it suspends Roethlisberger for some games.

I have lived what I lived in the last incident took mois.Il Roethlisberger and he was late March incident Santonio.

I understand that the steelers wanted to send a message to the team from leaving and if it suspends Santonio Roethlisberger's gonna be another message to the team.

By AC, I hope that now that the problems off-road will be complete and say that the steelers can not send a message clearer than prevailed, 2-star players of the team

I feel that the team can not have moments so dark as it was at this time.

1 year ago, Santonio, Roethlisberger help us win the super bowl and I'll always thank them and respect them for it, but the fact remains that in this moment are very embarrassing moment.

But thank you for letting us Santonio help win the super bowl of 2008 and I wish you good luck with the jets, but I advise you to be more careful in the future

For Ben, I still love, just like Santonio, but he needs a suspension that I could understand and live what I lived in the last month.

But I trust they will do with rooney order in the team and regardless of the decision or that Goodell will take on roethlisbeger rooney, rooney respected.The I'll know how they are

Sunday evening I was in a state of shock at the trade of Santonio, but now I understand why he was sharing it but it is very sad to lose such a good young player

Last edited by polamalubeast; 04-13-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I know that sometimes I have trouble with my English, but I hope you understand what I mean when even
polamalubeast is offline   Reply With Quote