Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' Ryan Clark: 'It's a different standard' for conduct in Pittsburgh

Steelers' Ryan Clark: 'It's a different standard' for conduct in Pittsburgh
Sean Leahy
10:03 AM

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said last month that the team's standard of conduct is "above and beyond that of our peers."

And Sunday's trade of former Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes has shown that Pittsburgh isn't afraid to part ways with a productive player who has tarnished the team's image.

The Steelers have said they won't take any action on QB Ben Roethlisberger, whom a Georgia DA declined to prosecute for an alleged sexual assault on Monday, until after he meets with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

But Steelers safety Ryan Clark said on Sirius NFL Radio on Monday that there should be no doubt that the expectations for players' conduct are different in Pittsburgh:

"You see Mr. Rooney pull up in a Buick to work. A guy who can definitely afford something else, but it's indicative of the town we play in and the team we play for. It's about hard-working people ... they pack their lunch pails and go to work.

"And that's how our organization is. That's who the Steelers are. We kind of like to stay out of the headlines as far as things that don't have anything to do with football. It's a different standard here.

"They want their players to conduct themselves in a certain way."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...terstitialskip
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868
Default Re: Steelers' Ryan Clark: 'It's a different standard' for conduct in Pittsburgh

Thanks for posting this. At least some of the Steeler players understand this.
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
bigj26o(scm 899)
Water Boy

Member Number: 5570
Default Re: Steelers' Ryan Clark: 'It's a different standard' for conduct in Pittsburgh

Its good to see some of the team realizes this idea and perception and hopefully this will be the end of the off field issues for this great franchize and the Rooney family
bigj26o(scm 899) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Define " Irony " ? Ryan Clark saying that in Pittsburgh it's a different mentality. He says that's why Rooney drives to work in a Buick. Cause Pittsburgh is a " Hard-Working " community. And yet Clark has spent the last few Months AWAY from any kind of Training, his family, or his own " TEAMMATES " who are training as I write this in Pittsburgh. Rather he spends all his time on the ESPN " First Take " set to enhance his furture TV Career.

Oh Yeah Ryan,,you're a GREAT Example.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Now all we have to worry about is big ben, which i actually think will FINALLY get it after he sees what terry had to say about him etc.

As for our other players, i dont think we have much to worry about as most are character guys. Harrison has stayed out of the headlines and has been very quiet.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
Define " Irony " ? Ryan Clark saying that in Pittsburgh it's a different mentality. He says that's why Rooney drives to work in a Buick. Cause Pittsburgh is a " Hard-Working " community. And yet Clark has spent the last few Months AWAY from any kind of Training, his family, or his own " TEAMMATES " who are training as I write this in Pittsburgh. Rather he spends all his time on the ESPN " First Take " set to enhance his furture TV Career.

People really need to stop freaking out until they know all the details.

As far as im concerned, they are not mandatory. For all we know he could have a crazy work regime getting ready for the season.

Relax people....
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushHard34 View Post
People really need to stop freaking out until they know all the details.

As far as im concerned, they are not mandatory. For all we know he could have a crazy work regime getting ready for the season.

Relax people....

Yeah they are not Mandatory,,,but remember,,Pittsburgh has a different standard than the rest of the league And Ryan even spouted as much. And after the final decision on Ben was made yesterday, and it was all over,,Ben IMMEDIATELY went to Pittsburgh to be with his teammates, and to train. And even though as you said are not Mandatory,,,if Ben did not show up there, you damn well know Ben would be getting RACKED over the coals for not showing up. Oh but I guess it's okay for
Ryan " The wannabe next Skip Bayless " Clark to not show up.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Yeah they are not Mandatory,,,but remember,,Pittsburgh has a different standard than the rest of the league And Ryan even spouted as much. And after the final decision on Ben was made yesterday, and it was all over,,Ben IMMEDIATELY went to Pittsburgh to be with his teammates, and to train. And even though as you said are not Mandatory,,,if Ben did not show up there, you damn well know Ben would be getting RACKED over the coals for not showing up. Oh but I guess it's okay for
Ryan " The wannabe next Skip Bayless " Clark to not show up.
after watching clark destroy willis mcgahee downtown in the big game

as far as my feelings are, he can do what the hell he does as long as he does it next year
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
after watching clark destroy willis mcgahee downtown in the big game

as far as my feelings are, he can do what the hell he does as long as he does it next year
agreed
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:

So I'm guessing you sat in on that team meeting where the FO and Coaches said that "the work-outs aren't mandatory, but they ARE mandatory for you , Ryan." "Troy can stay home if he wants. So can Hines. But Ryan, you gotta be here."

That's pretty cool. Wish I could've sat in on that meeting , too. Because I have always been under the impression that the seasoned vets are given the benefit of the doubt. I though that maybe, just maybe, the FO and Coaching Staff understand that the vets WILL work-out on their own, get into and stay in shape, and come in ready to play ball when the meetings become MANDATORY.

Silly me. I guess I shouldn't assume things