Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.2010

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.2010
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon,

Nothing much happening here in Pittsburgh, but I'm sure we'll find something to chat about. Let's begin.

polamalu43: Ed, a month before the draft you said on Espn's First Take, the Steelers like Mike Iupati from Idaho. Who is your selection now or do you need another week?

Ed Bouchette: We have 9 days before the draft and I reserve the right to make my pick on the ninth day. Iupati surely is one, but I would think wide receiver just made it up a notch or two in importance, althought I do not believe they will draft one in the first round.

Screenwriter: Do you think Roger Goodell discussed with Art Rooney the type of discipline both men want to lay on Ben or do you think Goodell is totally independent in this decision?

Ed Bouchette: I would think they have kept in touch on this.

s1refrosty: Ed, Would you be able to recommend a hair stylist to Ben for us? His current "do" is not helping sway any "slimy" opinions from the public.

Ed Bouchette: I have received as many comments about his appearance on Monday as to what he said then.

Screenwriter: Ed, Have you heard from any source confirming a story from WEEI in Boston about a lawyer claiming to have helped investigate a 3rd sexual conduct case relating to Ben in Nevada?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I linked to that on my PG Plus blog this morning and P-G reporters are looking into it.

Atlanta Dan: Ed - With last evening's less than totally contrite and rote locker room statement being the latest example, are your sources telling you that absolutely nobody (ownership, coaches, players, agents/attorneys, any close friends he may have) is getting through to Mr. Roethlisberger that his conduct and attitude are jeopardizing not only his career but all aspects of his life?

Ed Bouchette: They are hoping he will come to that conclusion, particularly after meeting with Roger Goodell today.

Screenwriter: Ed, Do players typically have conduct codes outlined in their contracts or only for players with a history of misconduct such as PacMan Jones, Terrell Owens, etc?

Ed Bouchette: They all have a code of conduct in their contracts, as well as the very public one that is available for all to read by the league.

bda: Ed, when does the offseason start! Before yesterday, I thought a small discipline should have been taken against Ben, but now, I think it would be best for both ben and the Steelers to go their separate ways, they should get what they can, and try to tke back the organization, everyone knows Ben had a whole lot of power there.

Ed Bouchette: Yours is one of many similar suggestions I have received in my email box, which has overflowed the past two days. I do not believe the Steelers have reached the point, though, where they want to part ways with their quarterback.

PACKandGOLD: Hey Ed- I assume we will soon find out about Ben's potential suspension. Would you care to offer your opinion on what is a "fair" punishment? I suppose a few games are appropriate, considering it is punishment for basically being a complete knucklehead and indecent representative of the game.

Ed Bouchette: I don't want to speculate, but the general consensus from others is that a 2-game suspension would be appropriate.

polamalu43: Ed, do you think Woodley's contract will be addressed before the season starts?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I do think they will try to sign him to a long-term deal before the season.

PACKandGOLD: Interesting that it now makes a little more sense about Randle El saying that he was brought in to be the #2 or #3 WR, eh??

Ed Bouchette: Maybe, but I do not think he knew Santonio Holmes was about to be unloaded by the Steelers when he signed with them.

Chooch79: Have you had a chance to discuss what changes (blocking schemes, formations, etc) Coach Kugler has planned to improve the running game this year?

Ed Bouchette: No, the Steelers had denied us access to him.

Steeler_in_Cajun_country: Ed, will Ben go to some sort of counselling/rehab and would that affect his civil law suit?

Ed Bouchette: That is one of the options I would think the commissioner can demand under his personal conduct code. I have no idea what effect any of that might have on his civil lawsuit.

Amos_P_Swanson: Ed....You sounded great on ESPN last night. How does that come up?...Do they call you?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, they often call and I go on when I can. I do some regular work for Pittsburgh's ESPN Radio 1250.

James NJ: Two questions with the paid subscription can you go back and get past articles? What is the chance the Steelers move their second round pic plus couple 5th rounders to move up?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I believe all of our PG Plus pieces are archived. Trading up is certainly a possibility, but teams do not normally give up a spot in the first round for fifth-rounders (plus your first-round pick)

Mile Hi Stiller: Hey Ed, Do you think the Jets knew about Holmes suspension before they did the deal with the Steelers? Were the Steelers obligated to tell them about the suspension?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, the Jets were aware of it.

SSimon: Ben's haircut was a crime. Your thoughts on the main man's mane?

Ed Bouchette: I'm not one to talk about other's haircuts.

tlg8tr: I love Golden Tate and feel he's the next Ward. Any chance we take him?

Ed Bouchette: Only, I think, if he's available when they pick on the second round.

Amos_P_Swanson: Any word on what Dan Rooney thinks of this mess?

Ed Bouchette: Knowing Dan Rooney, I can tell you he is not happy.

tlg8tr: Do you believe Wallace can be as good if not better than Holmes would have been THIS year?

Ed Bouchette: Judging by his rookie season and the often leaps players take between year one and year two, I think he has a chance.

davidf412: The Steelers will need to move up in this draft to secure a player that can contribute sooner not later. What would it take to move into picks 6-12?

Ed Bouchette: I do not believe that. This is a very deep draft with good quality. It's a good year not to throw high picks away to move up.

Steel Curtain Rising: The Steelers are concerned that their 100 million dollar quarterback does not seem to understand that the same rules and standards that apply to him apply to everyone. Are they concerned to the point where they might alter their draft plans?

Ed Bouchette: If you mean by drafting a quarterback on the first two days, no. The heir apparent at the moment should something happen to Ben R is Dennis Dixon.

southernBURGH: i keep reading about your comments on the radio the morning, what did you say, about some rumor with the RAMS & #1 pick, or is that just a big fat rumor/LIE

Ed Bouchette: I said if the Steelers did want to trade Ben, I thought the Rams would be more than willing to take him. But I do not think they want to trade him.

SSimon: Ed, any indication on when the NFL Schedule will come out?

Ed Bouchette: I would think in the next week.

Mike: Ed - won't the union have a problem if Big Ben gets a suspension w/ no charges?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I would expect the NFLPA to fight it.

Goldstar: Ed, Any advice on what to tell my 9 year old about why we are supposed to root for an arrogant predator?

Ed Bouchette: That is one of the problems when you have these things, trying to explain it to the kids. It is one reason the Steelers are taking this so seriously. You might start by telling them athletes should not be their role models or "heroes,'' as we often throw that word around willy-nilly to describe them. They are athletes playing games and many of them have human failings.

steelmann58: HI ED should we read anything into the lack of movement on Contact talks with Tomlin and Colbert. Who do you see being signed first.

Ed Bouchette: There is plenty of time for that. Plus, I believe they will be very quiet negotiations. No one, by the way, ever knew what Chuck Noll's contracts were or when he received them.

BlackJackBill: Do the Steelers grant access to their war room for before, during or after the draft? Do you ever see their top "100" board?

Ed Bouchette: No.

JJtheSteelersfan: Ed, has this been the worst offseason for the Steelers since you been covering them?

Ed Bouchette: Someone asked me that on Monday too while we were in the press room. Ben's motorcycle accident ranked right up there too.

Chooch79: How will AB's offense change, now that he doesn't have a pure #1 receiver?

Ed Bouchette: More than ever, those comments Art Rooney told me about wanting a more consistent running game ring truer.

NMsteeler: Given Ben's situation any chance the Steelers choose Tebow?

Ed Bouchette: I would not think so -- as I said, they believe they have their next man in Dixon -- but I never discount such things.

BlackJackBill: Are the labor talks still stalled or do both sides meet on a regular basis?

Ed Bouchette: I have heard little on the NFL labor front.

Paula Boulder Girl: What do you think of the new draft format? Three days seems to be an awfully long time for a draft.

Ed Bouchette: I would bet it will get increased TV ratings, which is their goal.

Jim: ed, will big ben return to offseason workouts now?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I have a story on our web that they expect he will report to their first OTA on Monday.

blog and gold: If a suspension to Ben does come down, who gets the start?

Ed Bouchette: Dennis Dixon, I believe.

SSimon: Will you be blogging on draft night? Is there anyway we can get your inside information as the draft is happening? Where will you be draft night?

Ed Bouchette: My boss, Jerry Micco, plans to blog on Thursday and Friday from the Steelers draft headquarters at their training facility, which is where I will be and others from the PG, including Gerry Dulac. The decision-makers of each team remain in their home ports and send a person or two to New York to physically make the pick when they tell them to do it. The New York thing is all for TV.

midas1212: You live in the Pittsburgh are, I'm from Altoona. Are the fans in the burgh as disgusted with this as many around here?

Ed Bouchette: From the reaction I've gotten, yes.

Wuffy00: Any chance the Steelers package picks to get more for next year's draft?
Ed Bouchette: It's my experience, they prefer current picks to ones for the future when they trade.

Dave In Pgh: Ed- in your opinion, why didn't Ben present himself in a better environment (behind a podium, in a suit, more contrite, etc.) last night?

Ed Bouchette: He was behind a podium in the Steelers locker room with about 50 members of the media gathered around behind a roped-off area. I cannot tell you about his choice of clothes, although I thought he wore a nice Nike shirt and slacks and a pair of black loafers.

JJtheSteelersfan: Is Kyle Wilson on your list of possible first round choices and if so what do you like about him?

Ed Bouchette: Indeed, I think they need a corner and he has decent size and speed. My concern is his level of competition at Boise and not having faced some of the country's better receivers.

Billy Bob: If Ben gets suspended, will they re-signed Tyler Palco to be the third QB for those games?

Ed Bouchette: Tyler Palko already is signed, i think by the Rams.

Chooch79: Is Sweed still on the non-injury list?

Ed Bouchette: No. He was on injured reserve at the end of the season and has been working out with his teammates this spring at their facility.

Ed Bouchette: Thank you for your questions. We have an ongoing mock draft at PG Plus going on this week, chosen by members there. See you next Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103...#ixzz0l2dh5MMk
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.2010

Look out Sweed has been a working out this year.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
wdsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15938
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.2010

HAHAHA -------->

lol just wanted to see
wdsteel is offline   Reply With Quote