Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default 2010 NFL Mock Draft, Fans Pick Edition: No. 18 - Pittsburgh Steelers

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/13/2...sburgh-steele/
2010 NFL Mock Draft, Fans Pick Edition: No. 18 - Pittsburgh Steelers
4/13/2010 3:00 PM ET
By JJ Cooper

Maurkice PounceyThe voice of the fan matters here at FanHouse, so you are going to collectively stage your own 2010 NFL Mock Draft. Let us know whom the Steelers should take with the No. 18 pick --You're on the clock.

Until Sunday night, the Steelers were having quite a good offseason when it came to football. There were all kind of problems off the field (Ben Roethlisberger's legal concerns, Santonio Holmes' renegade Twitter feed), but when it came to the on-the-field product, the Steelers had made several moves to fill holes, add depth and prepare for a run at the Super Bowl.

All of that took a big hit when the Steelers traded Holmes to the Jets for a fifth-round pick. In signing veterans like Antwaan Randle-El, Ryan Clark, Nick Eason and Arnaz Battle, the Steelers were clearly making a run for this year. Now Pittsburgh has taken a step back, but it doesn't really change the team's draft needs.

The national media may believe that trading away Holmes turns wide receiver into one of the team's biggest needs. But with Mike Wallace, Hines Ward and Randle-El, Pittsburgh still has three solid receivers. The team has bigger needs on the interior of the offensive line, cornerback and running back. Cornerback is a particular concern as William Gay looked overmatched as a starter last year, and he and fellow starter Ike Taylor could be unrestricted free agents at the end of the 2010 season.

With that in mind, the Steelers have a couple of different ways they could go at pick No. 18.

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State: While Joe Haden is the consensus top cornerback in this year's draft class, Wilson isn't far behind him. Wilson has better speed than Haden and the kind of cover skills the Steelers haven't seen in a cornerback since Rod Woodson left for San Francisco. He also could help out as a returner. There are some concerns about his size, but Wilson would appear to be a quick upgrade for a secondary that could use a pure cover man.

Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: It's no secret that the Steelers' offensive line is not the group of Pro Bowlers they had in the early 2000s. Iupati should help fix that, at least over the long term. Iupati has long arms, a great frame and enough strength to maul defensive linemen. But he is still raw in pass protection and lunges too much. Once he learns better technique, there are some scouts who think he could end up as a solid left or right tackle, but his best positions still appears to be guard. Iupati is the kind of talent who would give the Steelers a significant upgrade at guard, but it's not as certain that he would be able to start from day one.

Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida: If Iupati is the raw talent with a great future, Pouncey's biggest attribute is how NFL ready he is. Pouncey has been a three-year starter for the Gators, lining up against NFL-caliber defensive linemen like Dan Williams and Mount Cody. He has the size/strength to block big nose tackles, which is a key consideration in the AFC North where the Browns and Ravens like to line up big nose tackles to cover the center. Pouncey may not be ready to play center because all of his snaps at Florida were from the shotgun, but he could start from day one at guard and eventually move over to center.

Read More: Steelers NFL Draft 2010+nfl+mock+draft+fan+edition, Kyle+Wilson, Maurkice+Pouncey, Mike+Iupati

Whom should the Steelers select with the No. 18 pick?

Maurkice Pouncey 30%
Kyle Wilson 29%
Mike Iupati 23%
Taylor Mays 7%
Anthony Davis 3%
Dan Williams 2%
Jared Odrick 2%
Bruce Campbell 2%
Brandon Graham 2%
Charles Brown 0%
Total Votes: 735
Note on Poll Results
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325
Default Re: 2010 NFL Mock Draft, Fans Pick Edition: No. 18 - Pittsburgh Steelers

It has to be Earl Thomas if he's available @ 18......I'm hoping he's there!!!
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Re: 2010 NFL Mock Draft, Fans Pick Edition: No. 18 - Pittsburgh Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by taztroy43 View Post
It has to be Earl Thomas if he's available @ 18......I'm hoping he's there!!!
same

which idiots chose taylor mays

they must have their fingers chopped off for the crime
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
same

which idiots chose taylor mays

they must have their fingers chopped off for the crime
lol...I guess I was kind of an idiot myself but E. Thomas seems to be the real deal @ this point..........and I'm hoping we take him but the more I look at it , the more I think he wont make it to us @ 18.....
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by taztroy43 View Post
lol...I guess I was kind of an idiot myself but E. Thomas seems to be the real deal @ this point..........and I'm hoping we take him but the more I look at it , the more I think he wont make it to us @ 18.....
Yeah i think were going to have to do a trade up, like to broncos, or dolphins.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote