Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Should Steelers trade Roethlisberger?

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...k/default.aspx
Apr 14 2010
Should Steelers trade Roethlisberger?

By Bob Smizik | Wednesday, 1 a.m.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As recently as mid-day yesterday, I held the strong opinion that the Steelers would be recklessly vindictive if they traded Ben Roethlisberger. The team had waited more than 20 years for a franchise-type quarterback like Roethlisberger and look at the results: Two Super Bowls in five seasons.

Besides, although it wouldnít be easy, Roethlisberger could be rehabilitated from the behavior that has made him be viewed with much disgust by most Steelers fans. His most recent near-collision with trouble was bound to knock some sense into what appears to be a very thick skull.

My thinking was the team should go forward with Ben. Even if his image was badly tarnished, images can be repaired. Great quarterback cannot be easily replaced.

But is that what the Steelers are thinking? Have the Steelers begun the process of trading Ben by deliberately distancing themselves from him?

Much was made about how Roethlisberger stood alone Monday to make his rather lame announcement of gratitude for charges not being filed against him and to promise a better Ben in the future. It was a stark contrast to last year when Coach Mike Tomlin and director of football Ben Roethlisbergeroperations Kevin Colbert were in attendance when Roethlisberger denied another charge of sexual misconduct.

Something else was different from last year. [B]In 2009, Roethlisberger spoke in the teamĎs media room in front of the logo of its corporate sponsor, PNC. This year, the statement was moved from the locker room and the logo was nowhere in sight.[/B]

You think PNC, a major player in everything in Pittsburgh, wants to be seen in the same room with a man as unpopular as Roethlisberger? Not a chance. And neither do Tomlin and Colbert.

This would have been a good time for owner Art Rooney to address the Steeler Nation and to apologize to them and let them know that even if Roethlisberger was painted as some sort of predator by Georgia District Attorney Fred Bright, the Steelers were behind him. Roethlisberger would be rehabilitated and the Steeler Way would flourish once again.

Trouble is the Steeler Way and Roethlisberger just donít go together any more. And maybe they shouldnít.

Maybe itís time for the Steelers to regain their footing, to become the franchise Dan Rooney wants it to be and become the moral flagship of the NFL that it once was.

Itís time to put some legitimacy back into the phrase -- the Steelers way, and for people not to laugh when those two words are spoken.

The Steelers can strike a blow for whatís right in football. That can show the world that when it comes to them -- after a recent pitiful run of abysmal behavior -- character matters, and it can matter more than talent.

The Steelers need to reclaim their special brand. The best way to do that is to trade Roethlisberger.

The plusses of such a move are these:

* The Steelers get several high draft choices, at least one No. 1, and turn those into multiple high draft choices to help rebuild the team.

* The team gets out from under about $65 million it owes Roethlisberger.

* The Steelers do not draft a quarterback with their high draft choices but make Dennis Dixon the starter and they again become a running team.

* The currently disillusioned Steeler Nation rallies around the team for doing it the right way.

Sure, there are drawbacks.

Without Roethlisberger, the Steelers are a lesser team. Thatís beyond dispute. But they wonít be a bad team. The multiple draft choices will help the team come back.

And if the comeback isnít immediate, is there a team in pro sports better equipped to handle lean times in terms of season-ticket holders and a loyal fan base? The Steelers survived from 1979 to 2005 without a Super Bowl -- and with some mediocre teams. They can survive the trading of Roethlisberger.

Do I think it will happen? No.

But it might be the right thing to do.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Should Steelers trade Roethlisberger?

I see Smiznik is getting in on the stash left behind by Holmes. Must have been some good stuff.

Trade Ben? Really? I don't understand why they traded Holmes, yes he had some issues but I believe they could have worked with him one more year and then let him go. But we have people to replace him, he was expendable. As has been mentioned here in another thread, a franchise winning QB is not as expendable.

I believe the Steelers know this and while they won't allow Ben to run the team, I believe there is a double standard and he will be allowed some lenancy that others are not allotted. Is it fair? NO! But I think players understand this when they have been in the NFL for any length of time.

The FO, imo, understands that trading away your franchise QB would set you back ages. And trying to find another one in a draft that isn't that strong (imo) on QBs this year, would only have Steeler fans going through the likes of Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, Graham, Tomczak, etc. all over again - for what another 25 years - NO THANKS!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

I think a good portion of the fanbase is wanting us to trade him.

If they get there way i hope they will be happy being a losing rebuilding team for another decade. And Ben will be turning some other team into a contender. Other fans will benefit from him getting his act together and winning games for them. Yeah, but we're the best 5-11 org in football though.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

No, we should not trade him. There is not 1 good reason to trade him. Steeler Nation needs to come down off the high horse thinking the Steelers uphold some high moral standard that makes the them different than other NFL teams. That's BS. If we got rid of every guy that did something dumb, we would be worse than the 0-16 Lions...and even that team had guys without morals. Sure, we'd all like Ben to get some help and change his ways so we don't have to answer to our friends about this crap...but he has not committed a single crime and to date there has not been any impact to his play on the field. Not to mention he's one of the best QBs in the NFL, and for Steelers, one that obviously doesn't come around very often. So trade him??? WTF?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
BritishSteel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused

No-one would offer good value for him, so I think that it's a non-starter anyway. They made their point with Holmes. Nevertheless, making the same mistakes over and over again which discredit the franchise (and accepting the fact he was never charged, the circumstances around the alleged incident aren't ever likely to be considered acceptable behaviour in the Rooney's eyes) will never be tolerable to the Rooneys. Even an amoeba can demonstrate learned behaviour. How likely is he to keep his head down and stay out of trouble? If they think he can, then they keep him. If they don't then maybe they think it better to trade him now than on the back of the next set of headlines when his stock drops further. The only people who can make an assessment about that are those who manage him and they've probably already done so, and I'm happy with however they decide. I think he'll stay. He'll be nigh-on impossible to replace in the short term, regardless of what we could get for him.

Whether we like it or not, whether it's fair or not, the Rooney's place high value on the personal behaviour of their players and if there was a single demonstration of that, it's the Holmes trade, so I've no doubt that if he screws up again, he's gone.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i would move him
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Suspend a game or two----probably

Sex counseling----maybe

trade------

the guy has been standing too close to Bongtonio----gettin' his second hand smoke
Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Dodt
Starter

Member Number: 4685

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishSteel View Post
No-one would offer good value for him, so I think that it's a non-starter anyway. They made their point with Holmes. Nevertheless, making the same mistakes over and over again which discredit the franchise (and accepting the fact he was never charged, the circumstances around the alleged incident aren't ever likely to be considered acceptable behaviour in the Rooney's eyes) will never be tolerable to the Rooneys. Even an amoeba can demonstrate learned behaviour. How likely is he to keep his head down and stay out of trouble? If they think he can, then they keep him. If they don't then maybe they think it better to trade him now than on the back of the next set of headlines when his stock drops further. The only people who can make an assessment about that are those who manage him and they've probably already done so, and I'm happy with however they decide. I think he'll stay. He'll be nigh-on impossible to replace in the short term, regardless of what we could get for him.

Whether we like it or not, whether it's fair or not, the Rooney's place high value on the personal behaviour of their players and if there was a single demonstration of that, it's the Holmes trade, so I've no doubt that if he screws up again, he's gone.
agree with you 100%
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Steelers17
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15580

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
i would move him
It is exceedingly difficult to know when you have received most/all there is from a good racehorse or an initially degenerating football player well in advance of obvious collapse.
Steelers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Some people are really retarded in this present world.

how made these people seriously
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote