Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Mayock sees Steelers taking CB or OL with first pick

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...th-first-pick/
Mayock sees Steelers taking CB or OL with first pick
April 14th, 2010

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said he doesn’t think the Steelers will take a wide receiver with their first-round pick even though they traded Santonio Holmes to the Jets earlier this week.

“I think a lot of people are panicking and saying they’re going to take a wide receiver at (pick No.) 18,” Mayock said today on a conference call. “I’m not of that persuasion. I think that Pittsburgh feels they either need a corner(back) or an interior offensive lineman.”

Mayock said the second or third round would be a good place for a team to take a wide receiver since that position is deep but is not stocked with first-round picks.

The four players he mentioned when asked about candidates for the Steelers’ first round pick: center/guard Maurkice Pouncey of Florida, guard Mike Iupati of Idaho and cornerbacks Kyle Wilson of Boise State and Kareem Jackson of Alabama.

All, it should be noted, were brought into Pittsburgh by the Steelers this month for pre-draft visits.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said last week that he thinks the Steelers will take Pouncey with their first-round pick.

Mayock is also high on Pouncey.

“I call him a plug-in play player. He’s ready to go right now,” Mayock said. “He’s big enough to anchor against some of those 3-4 nose tackles. He’s athletic enough to snap and pull. I think you can put him in there Day 1 of training camp and I don’t think the NFL game will be too big for him.”

Pouncey, Mayock said, has the capability to play guard, something he might have to do initially if the Steelers draft him.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Mayock sees Steelers taking CB or OL with first pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
[
The four players he mentioned when asked about candidates for the Steelers’ first round pick: center/guard Maurkice Pouncey of Florida, guard Mike Iupati of Idaho and cornerbacks Kyle Wilson of Boise State and Kareem Jackson of Alabama.

All, it should be noted, were brought into Pittsburgh by the Steelers this month for pre-draft visits.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said last week that he thinks the Steelers will take Pouncey with their first-round pick.

Mayock is also high on Pouncey.

“I call him a plug-in play player. He’s ready to go right now,” Mayock said. “He’s big enough to anchor against some of those 3-4 nose tackles. He’s athletic enough to snap and pull. I think you can put him in there Day 1 of training camp and I don’t think the NFL game will be too big for him.”

Pouncey, Mayock said, has the capability to play guard, something he might have to do initially if the Steelers draft him.
Kareem Jackson is flying up some boards at the moment. I am still partial to having Devin McCourty before Jackson. Kareem Jackson will still be available in the 2nd but when someone like Mayock makes some noise I begin to wonder. I didnt see Tyson Jackson screaming up the boards last year.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

He is entitled to his opinion. But if that is the direction the team is going then I would definitely try to trade down. I think depending on how the first 17 picks go, I think we can convince the Eagles to give us their pick at 24 and their 3rd rounder at 87 for 18. I think this is definitely possible IF Sean Weatherspoon is there at 18 or McClain. The Eagles desperately need a ready-to-go LB. And reports say that the Eagles really like
Weatherspoon. This way we get another 3rd rounder. And at 24 we can still probably get Pouncey-Wilson/Jackson, or whoever. But taking a guy like Pouncey at 18 I feel is foolish.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Denver is the key to the Linebacker position in the draft. If they take McClain then the giants may well nab Weatherspoon leaving Philli without many options at LB in the first. The remaining LB's would be more 3-4 OLB's ( Graham, Kindle or Hughes)

I think the steelers are making a lot of noise about Iupati and Pouncey because teams will be likely to move up for them (Iupati more so than Pouncey)

I agree 100% in the trade down scenario for an extra late 2nd / early third that can be coupled with the 2 5ths to get back up into the middle of the 2nd. THen you go Pouncey, Kareem Jackson and WR or OLB
Old 04-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
He is entitled to his opinion. But if that is the direction the team is going then I would definitely try to trade down. I think depending on how the first 17 picks go, I think we can convince the Eagles to give us their pick at 24 and their 3rd rounder at 87 for 18. I think this is definitely possible IF Sean Weatherspoon is there at 18 or McClain. The Eagles desperately need a ready-to-go LB. And reports say that the Eagles really like
Weatherspoon. This way we get another 3rd rounder. And at 24 we can still probably get Pouncey-Wilson/Jackson, or whoever. But taking a guy like Pouncey at 18 I feel is foolish.

Your username says it all...with some of the posts you've made haha. If thats who the Steelers want at that pick and they dont want to/cant trade down...I'm fine with it. Not like its the end of the world.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
Your username says it all...with some of the posts you've made haha. If thats who the Steelers want at that pick and they dont want to/cant trade down...I'm fine with it. Not like its the end of the world.

I never said it would be the end of the world. But it would be stupid cause about 95 % of all top-100 lists have Pouncey in the 25-30 range. And Jackson will definitely be there at 24. Maybe not Wilson, but he might be. No it's not the end of the world. But I guarantee you more steeler fans agree with me about trading down to take one of those guys rather then staying at 18 and selecting them.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
SS43Polamalu
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15886

Quote:
I never said it would be the end of the world. But it would be stupid cause about 95 % of all top-100 lists have Pouncey in the 25-30 range. And Jackson will definitely be there at 24. Maybe not Wilson, but he might be. No it's not the end of the world. But I guarantee you more steeler fans agree with me about trading down to take one of those guys rather then staying at 18 and selecting them.
Hell no, Kyle Wilson will for sure be gone, stay at 18 and hope for Earl Thomas, if he's gone take Wilson. If by chance both are gone then you can trade back, but if either are available at 18 and we trade down, A LOT of Steeler fans will be very mad.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Quote:
Kareem Jackson is a 2nd round prospect. He is of less value than Pouncey.

I dont understand why Pouncey who is of 25 - 30 value is a BS pick but Kareem Jackson would be fine considering he is a 30 - 55 pick on most boards.

Best case scenario = trade down and get Pouncey
Scenario that I could live with = Pouncey at 18
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,124 Times in 4,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Denver is the key to the Linebacker position in the draft. If they take McClain then the giants may well nab Weatherspoon leaving Philli without many options at LB in the first. The remaining LB's would be more 3-4 OLB's ( Graham, Kindle or Hughes)

I think the steelers are making a lot of noise about Iupati and Pouncey because teams will be likely to move up for them (Iupati more so than Pouncey)

I agree 100% in the trade down scenario for an extra late 2nd / early third that can be coupled with the 2 5ths to get back up into the middle of the 2nd. THen you go Pouncey, Kareem Jackson and WR or OLB
good point about drumming up interest about iupati and pouncy. and for once i think whatdoiknow makes a relevant post as well.

to make the playoffs you first have to win the division. our foes are no longer going to bang their heads against a wall and pound the rock against us. it is a losing formula. that is why cinci and the ravens have brought in the likes of stallworth, boldin, bryant and jones, and both teams have been projected to take a TE in the 1st round.

hell even the browns have dumped shitstains such as anderson and quinn to upgrade witht he likes of delhomme and wallace.

it doeant take a genius to figure out our CB's only had 2 interceptions last year (which is 10X more pathetic than our o-line giving up 50 sacks).

IMO earl thomas immediately replaces d. townsend and t. carter on the roster and is probably a sufficient alternative to w. gay, and viable back-up to either troy or clark.

lets see an o-lineman do that. even wilson solidifies our nickel package and is a return threat.

william gay is less than $2 mil/year with SB experience and can be had by any team for a 5th round pick...

yet nobody in the rest of the league wants him. that should tell one all they need to know about how bad we need secondary help.

competition for burnett and lewis is not a bad thing. 2-3 could be starters in the next 2 years.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Kareem Jackson is flying up some boards at the moment. I am still partial to having Devin McCourty before Jackson. Kareem Jackson will still be available in the 2nd but when someone like Mayock makes some noise I begin to wonder. I didnt see Tyson Jackson screaming up the boards last year.

I'm with you Aussie. I don't understand the fact that McCourty is getting no love at all. I think the kid is vastly superior to Jackson. If we take Jackson with McCourty still on the board I will probably drop my chicken wing on our new bed spread, but I guess we don't know everything the teams and the experts do.

Maybe SF will sign Colon and solve the problem of being one pick short.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote