Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default A word to the wise

(Mods I don't know which Ben thread you want to put this in so feel free to move it. - mesa)

http://www.observer-reporter.com/www...nes/index.html

A word to the wise
F. Dale Lolley, the Observer-Reporter's veteran Steelers beat reporter, provides an inside view for Pittsburgh and the rest of the National Football League.

I've seen and heard a lot of reaction to the Millegeville, Ga., prosecutor's choice of words when describing the events surrounding what happened with Ben Roethlisberger in that town last month.

Much of it has been negative, which is pretty much what I believe the DA was going for when he described what he had on the case.

As some have pointed out, they've seen people convicted of crimes on far less evidence than what District Attorney Fred Bright presented on Monday when he announced he would not press charges against Roethlisberger.

What people have to remember is that prosecutors get paid to make the accused sound guilty. It's part of their job to sell a jury on it even if they don't have solid evidence.

By the same token, defense attorneys are paid to make their clients look as innocent as possible and poke holes in the DA's case.

In this case, I think Bright fully intended to paint Ben in a bad light, even though he didn't have enough evidence to convict.

I believe there's a lot more to this story than Bright is letting on. In fact, I've heard that the alleged victim gave inconsistent statements as to what actually happened in the restroom, which in itself would likely be a dealbreaker for Bright.

As for the people who say that Roethlisberger paid the young lady off and that's why Bright didn't push forward, I'm not buying that. Bright could have gone forward with charges even without the young lady's desire to do so. He just needed a strong case. And he apparently didn't have one.

posted by Dale Lolley at 5:44 PM 8 Comments Links to this post

Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Internet speculation
I just did an interview with a radio station in St. Louis with Howard Balzer and he asked if I'd heard the trade rumor that had the Steelers shipping Ben Roethlisberger to the Rams for the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Balzer, a veteran reporter who I respect very much, said he asked a couple of Rams front office people about it and got no response from one, while the other replied, "That's interesting."

I don't know what that means, but if I'm the Steelers, I don't think I make that deal unless I'm positive that Roethlisberger's image is so damaged that it will never recover.

They'd also have to be in love with Sam Bradford, who will be the top pick in the draft, because he'd be their quarterback for the next 10 to 15 years.

At this point, it's all just internet speculation.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: A word to the wise

I find it instructive that the rare article that doesn't tear Ben to pieces is one that gets no hits at all....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

I think im tired of hearing about Ben and so are a lot of folks we need to move on....

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
I think im tired of hearing about Ben and so are a lot of folks we need to move on....
Agreed, but the point was that if this were another article that piled on Ben like so many others have, I can just about guarantee you that it would have gotten at least 20 replies by now.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Personally I think Bright is guilty of grandstanding at Ben's expense for potential future political gain.

Anyone bother to ask why if Bright had reached a conclusion on his course by Friday that he didn't go ahead and announce it then? Drawing it out until Monday was strictly for theatrics imo and entirely self serving. He didn't have a case, he knew it early, yet he drew it out anyway.. Even though the accuser's story changed repeatedly, and was full of inconsistencies. Even though there was zero physical evidence to support charges despite the fact a rape kit was administered in an expediant manner, he still branded Ben guilty as best he could. Well if you think he's guilty prosecute, even if you think the chance of acquittal is great. That's your job, put away criminals even when it's not easy. But no he didn't, because he knew there was no case, and there was quite likely no crime.

So why come down so hard on Ben? Simple. He was playing the victim card. Poor me boo hoo hoo, I want to charge him honestly, but I can't. it's the system wah!

Here's what I think is the truth. He knows no crime was commited, or at least strongly suspects it, but he also knows that wont play well with the voters. Now, going about it the way he did, he's thought of as a guy who hates criminals but sometimes his hands are tied, so we can't hold it against him that a celebrity slipped through the cracks. Brilliant! But also unethical. Someone needs to call him out on it.

Ben was used. It's really that simple.

Last edited by zulater; 04-15-2010 at 10:08 AM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Stone
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16075

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Personally I think Bright is guilty of grandstanding at Ben's expense for potential future political gain.

Anyone bother to ask why if Bright had reached a conclusion on his course by Friday that he didn't go ahead and announce it then? Drawing it out until Monday was strictly for theatrics imo and entirely self serving. He didn't have a case, he knew it early, yet he drew it out anyway.. Even though the accuser's story changed repeatedly and was full of inconsistencies he branded Ben guilty as best he could. Well if you think he's guilty prosecute, even if you think the chance of acquittal is strong. that's your job. But no he didn't, because he knew there was no case, and there was quite likely no crime.

So why come down so hard on Ben? Simple he was playing the victim card. Poor me boo hoo hoo, I want to charge him honestly, but i can't. it's the system wah!

Here's what I think it the truth. He knows no crime was commited, or at least strongly suspects it, but he also knows that wont play well with the voters. Now he's thought of as a guy who hates criminals but sometimes his hands are tied, so we can't hold it against him that a celebrity slipped through the cracks.

Ben was used. It's really that simple.
This!!!!
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
steeldawg
Starter

Member Number: 13605

In total agreement with this
steeldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

We REALLY need to put this BS behind us. We'll se what Art II has to say this afternoon. I'm guessing it won't be good.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

2 game suspension, thats my guess.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
WH

Member Number:

I thought this thread was just going to say ''No Sex with bar rats in bar bathrooms''