Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
polamalubeast
Starter

Member Number: 16032
Default Ward 'discouraged' by Big Ben's actions

Ward 'discouraged' by Big Ben's actions
Buzz up!By John Grupp, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Last updated: 5:58 pm

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said he is "discouraged" by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's off-the-field conduct and called some recent incidents "unfortunate" for the Steelers organization.

"I'm not really disappointed in anything," Ward said this afternoon. "I'm discouraged a little bit because the Pittsburgh Steelers come with a high level. Expectations are high. It's unfortunate that our organization has to be in the news like this."

Ward's comments came during a brief media interview session following a question and answer period with 40 student/athletes as part of a Gatorade promotion at North Hills High School.

Ward also indicated that, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, he would retire after the season. During his 40-minute Q&A session with North Hills football players, the 13-year veteran said his career would be complete with another ring.

"If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring," Ward said. "I'm telling you that right now."

Ward said, if he had his way, troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes would still be on the Steelers, but he supports any actions taken by the Rooney family and/or the NFL.

"It's an unfortunate incident and I would have loved for him to stay, but it's not my team," Ward said. "Who am I to question Mr. Rooney and the Pittsburgh Steelers? They have been doing this thing for a lot of years. They felt it was best for Santonio and best for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Whatever choices they make, they have our support."

Ward, the team's all-time leading receiver, is confident his teammates can fill the void created when Holmes was traded to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick.

"It's unfortunate that Santonio is no longer with us," Ward said. "(But) Mike Wallace had a tremendous rookie year and now he's going to get more opportunities to become that guy. ...Yes, we're young. But, at the same time, that's my job as a leader. I've been in this game a long time and I've seen a lot of players come and go. I'm up for the challenge."

Ward, speaking publicly about Roethlisberger for the first time since Georgia officials decided not to pursue any charges in the alleged sexual assault last month of a 20-year-old college student, said the Steelers' expectations remain the same.

"One thing about us is that we're a close-knit family," he said. "We are going to rally behind each other and support each other. Whatever decision that Mr. Rooney or the league makes, we are going to abide by it and move on. It's not going to change the way we approach things. It's not going to change the expectation level. Our goal is still to win the Super Bowl."
polamalubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Ward 'discouraged' by Big Ben's actions

Young? Sweeds 3rd year ...ARE.....6 or 7th year....... and Battle atleast 5....and Ward
Old 04-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
JSH6487
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16095

Well I'm sure Ben was 'discouraged' by Ward's comments last year about Ben not playing with his concussion.
JSH6487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i agree with ward and im sure alot of the team feel the same way. he needs to earn there respect back
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH6487 View Post
Well I'm sure Ben was 'discouraged' by Ward's comments last year about Ben not playing with his concussion.

Edit.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH6487 View Post
Bingo.

We're all discouraged by Ben's behavior and I hope Ben can find a way to remove the Pampers, grow up, deflate that big melon of his (as well as deflating that "other" part of his body) and become a MAN instead of acting like a teenaged horn dog who just discovered puberty.

The Anti-Wahoo

Last edited by HometownGal; 04-15-2010 at 06:58 PM.
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
JSH6487
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
Thanks for the proof that Ben's innocent of all charges. After all, how could he rape somebody with you always riding his jock?

You may ban me now if you'd like, mods.
Yes, I'm one of the fans that won't throw our 2 time SB QB under the bus because of ACCUSATIONS. What a shame that there are hardly any other fans on this board that feel the same way.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
Ward also indicated that, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, he would retire after the season. During his 40-minute Q&A session with North Hills football players, the 13-year veteran said his career would be complete with another ring.

"If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring," Ward said. "I'm telling you that right now."
Awwww ... and I was hoping he'd be one of those guys who kept playing until they're like 39 without getting much worse. He seems like the kind of player who could do it.

By "young," I think he meant Sweed and Wallace, because let's face it, those are the guys we're hoping come up big this year. If we're mostly relying on Battle and Randle El, our passing game is going to be so-so.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Accusations? Even Ben's admitted actions were disgraceful.

And last time I checked, the team won the SB's, not one player.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
JSH6487
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
Accusations? Even Ben's admitted actions were disgraceful.

And last time I checked, the team won the SB's, not one player.
Well of course Ben's actions were disgraceful and perverted...I never said they weren't. Would I trade him because of them? Hell no. Last I checked they were football players and not teachers or politicians. I want a quarterback that is going to win us Super Bowls and could really careless what his morals are. If the guy was actually charged and convicted it would be a different story...I'd be calling for his head too.

And you're crazy if you think any other QB that would of been a realistic option for the Steelers if we didn't have Ben, would of won those 2 SB's. No f'n way. The QB is the most important piece of the puzzle.