Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921
Default Steelers want to contend for SB?

Then get us upgrades at the CB position and depth at LB and DL.

I want us the upgrade BOTH starting CB spots and SOON. IMO Ike Taylor is way over-rated by many fans. I've grown very tired of his lack of awareness on simple fade passes and poor hands. And I fear Willie Gay won't recover from a dismal showing last year.

Maybe a Lewis or Burnett pans out but we can't be totally SURE. I think it'd be wise to spend an early pick on a hopefully good CB.

And as we all have seen with age and injury, we must keep an eye towards the future with our LB corps. It wouldn't bother me to see us draft this position early as well.

I think we can get by with what we have on the OL (unless you want DD or Batch playing extensively) for now with maybe a G or C (prolly one of each) taken in the 3-7 round range.

But IMO how much our defense improves will dictate how far this years Steelers are able to go.

Sure we will get depth at RB and possibly WR but we can win with who we currently have.

In a perfect world for me we somehow get Haden in 1 and Witherspoon (sp?) in 2.

* This is if we can get through a certain "suspension" with .500 record.

Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
JSH6487
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16095
Default Re: Steelers want to contend for SB?

I agree, honestly I don't see us as a SB caliber team with what we have at corner. Both Taylor and Gay are awful...would be a dream to somehow find a way to move up and get Haden in the 1st.
JSH6487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH6487 View Post
I agree, honestly I don't see us as a SB caliber team with what we have at corner. Both Taylor and Gay are awful...would be a dream to somehow find a way to move up and get Haden in the 1st.
Taylor awful? thats being a little harsh....
Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
JSH6487
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16095

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Taylor awful? thats being a little harsh....
Maybe is a little harsh...just not a fan of his at all. If Troy is behind him and the LB's and D-line are playing at their best getting pressure on the QB then Taylor's play really isn't under the microscope...but he's really been exposed this past season as a fraud and liability in single coverage. The guy is a nickel CB at BEST.
JSH6487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
polamalubeast
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16032

Gay may have been the worst starting CB in the NFL in 2009 and the worst cornerback steelers since 2002 and 2003.

I want to see him as a starter next year.

I have a playmaker like CB .... the steelers were one of the worst teams to create turnovers and that is one reason why we did not score 400 points was the offensive

The defense was among the worst against the 3rd down and 31th to the points allowed to the 4th quarter.

The CB and the loss of Polamalu was one of the reasons to disaster and I want to live collapses in 4th quarter as the year pass.

On the offensive, I remain concerned about the loss of Holmes and Roethlisberger will have that suspension, but it will improve performance in the red zone.

The key for us, it'll be the performance of our defense, especially early season.
polamalubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Don't know what you guys are talking about with Ike. I watched a lot of game tape from the '09 season and he was fantastic most of the time. Gay on the other hand, I agree, is a liability. If we have Ike and Kyle Wilson.. that'll be serious.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
Gay may have been the worst starting CB in the NFL in 2009 and the worst cornerback steelers since 2002 and 2003.

I want to see him as a starter next year.

I have a playmaker like CB .... the steelers were one of the worst teams to create turnovers and that is one reason why we did not score 400 points was the offensive
The defense was among the worst against the 3rd down and 31th to the points allowed to the 4th quarter.

The CB and the loss of Polamalu was one of the reasons to disaster and I want to live collapses in 4th quarter as the year pass .

On the offensive, I remain concerned about the loss of Holmes and Roethlisberger will have that suspension, but it will improve performance in the red zone. :

The key for us, it'll be the performance of our defense, especially early season.
WTF is it you are trying to say!?!?!?

this shit is indecipherable. please tell me you are from peru, or uruguay, or something, so i have no further reason to hack your english skills.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

nice icons

Last edited by Shoes; 04-16-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
Don't know what you guys are talking about with Ike. I watched a lot of game tape from the '09 season and he was fantastic most of the time. Gay on the other hand, I agree, is a liability. If we have Ike and Kyle Wilson.. that'll be serious.
I think Ike's a nickle corner too. It's not so much his bad hands as it is his ball awareness IMO. I agree with others that with a healthy Troy back there it helps cover our CB weaknesses.

We need some quality CB's BAD IMO.

But if we keep Troy healthy, then land one decent cover guy in the draft combined with our front 7 improving we can contend this year. But i think this team has to find young starters at both CB spots real soon.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

It's good to see a thread here that's not about Ben.

The defense has to improve, especially the secondary. We gave away far too many games last year in the 4th quarter. A DB has to be a priority in the draft and we also need Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett to step up. Gay just isn't good enough to be a starter. Hopefully we'll get a full healthy season out of Troy and Aaron and Ziggy will step it up even more to show us why he was drafted #1 last year. I think the defense is gonna come back in a big way.

I like how the 'experts' are already writing off the Steelers this year. Brian Baldinger said on the NFL Network last night that the Steelers aren't a playoff team. Yea, we'll see about that.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote