Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rooney's words fail to thrill Steelers fans

By Bob Cohn
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 16, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_676717.html#

At 2:30 p.m. Thursday, everything came to a halt inside Jerome Bettis' Grille 36, a sports bar owned by the former Steelers running back and located across the street from Heinz Field.

Customers and staff gazed up at the multiple television screens waiting to see what Steelers president Art Rooney II would say about his embattled quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger. Would the team suspend him? Would it be a lesser form of punishment? Would the Steelers, as remote as it seemed, announce a trade?

With the sound loudly piped into the restaurant, Rooney appeared behind a podium at team headquarters and proclaimed ... nothing very dramatic. He said "disciplinary action" would be forthcoming. But he did not elaborate, except to say that such action will be coordinated with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and no announcement would be made until after next week's NFL Draft.

Oh, and he also talked about the Santonio Holmes trade.

"Anti-climactic," said Phil Sauvengot, 39, a Steelers fan from Steubenville, Ohio. "I want closure."

Dan Williams, a waiter, was more pointed. "It was nonsense," he said.

Williams, 26, who lives in Pittsburgh, said he resented Rooney "justifying" the Holmes deal while also passing the buck to the commissioner and not dealing with Roethlisberger directly.

"If they're waiting for Goodell, I think the Steelers are going against what they say they stand for," he said. "They're basically wiping their hands of it."

Williams, who is African-American, said he is watching the situation closely to see how Roethlisberger is treated compared with African-American players Goodell has suspended.

"It'll be interesting to see what happens to the white poster boy of the franchise," he said.

Tiffany Welsh, who was tending bar, said she wanted some resolution but believes "the Rooneys are not gonna put up with any B.S."

That's also what she's hoping for.

"I think what should happen is he should be benched for a season without pay," said Welsh, 31, who is from Pittsburgh.

Even if it means a losing season?

"It's the principle of the fact," she said. "My daughter is six, and she's a Steelers fan. Do you want to put a (Roethlisberger) jersey on your kid after everything that's been said?"

Meanwhile, Penn Hills High School senior defensive lineman Aaron Donald, a Pitt recruit, said by telephone that although he still likes Roethlisberger "as a football player" and "would shake his hand," he expected him to conduct himself better.

"They should be role models for future players like me trying to make it at that level," Donald said.

Chris Harlan contributed to this report.

Bob Cohn can be reached at rcohn@tribweb.com or 412-320-7810.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,087 Posts
Default Re: Rooney's words fail to thrill Steelers fans

I think Ben is gonna get screwed on this any way you look at it...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

I think I just wasted a minute of my life reading that article. And I want it back.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,281 Times in 647 Posts

How many stupid ass "The Rooney's are going against what they stand for" comments are we going to hear the rest of the year?! What the BLEEP do you want them to do?!!! They just traded their Super Bowl MVP, number 1 receiver for a pack of cigarettes, they are going to work with the commish to figure out how to punish Ben. The hell more do you want. Are you bleepin stupid?! Didn't you hear Art II say he is working with the commish to figure out a punishment. Where did he say he is giving the decision to Goodell and taking off to Europe or whatever. And these bleep racists pigs who are waiting to see if the punishment fits the crime because Ben is white, these people should be taken out back and shot.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
WH

Member Number:

Goodell better watch the precedent he sets with this. If he suspends Roethlisberger for being accused of a crime, not even arrested, he's opening the door for future situations like this to occur against other star players.

Don't tell me there aren't lunatic fans that would go that far to see star players of rival teams sit.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

yawn

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Williams, who is African-American, said he is watching the situation closely to see how Roethlisberger is treated compared with African-American players Goodell has suspended.

"It'll be interesting to see what happens to the white poster boy of the franchise," he said.
The race card. Go figure.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
WH

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Should say ''The White poster boy, who was never charged with a crime, is treated''
Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Of course. I'm surprised that we haven't heard from Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson yet. Maybe they're waiting for the punishment to be handed out.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
Goodell better watch the precedent he sets with this. If he suspends Roethlisberger for being accused of a crime, not even arrested, he's opening the door for future situations like this to occur against other star players.

Don't tell me there aren't lunatic fans that would go that far to see star players of rival teams sit.
While I do not think Ben will fight a suspension if it is not excessive, I for one want to see what the Players union does in this situation. This will set a precedent where a player was suspended not for an arrest or conviction, but merely for an investigation that was found lacking. You guys give some thought next time the IRS does a little investigation in to your finances. Even if they do not find anything they can hang you with, how bout they just hit you with a penalty or some jail time just because they can.

This could also bring the Civil Liberties Union in. How ironic that would be, the CLU who has fought for the rights of the oppressed black man will be be fighting for the rights of a rich white NFL QB because he was vindicated by an official investigation but suspended because it is "not the way we do things in our league". And before someone jumps on the vindicated phrase, I meant it, what else do you call it if they could not prosecute. Ben has been convicted in the public court of opinions only, based on people taking the word of a "victim" where her statement has numerous holes and because Ben is perceived as a scumbag.

This whole thing has become a "I think" scenario. Where everyone has a spin on their on agenda.If "I think" Ben is shaming my team than "I think" we should get rid of him. If "I think" Ben is getting a pass while Santo did not than "I think" he should be punished or traded. If I am disgusted that during three off seasons Ben has been a major distractions than "I think" its about time we do something. As for me "I think" that he has never been arrested or convicted--scratch that "I know", so therefore "I think" he should be given the benefit of the doubt. If somewhere down the line something is actually proven than I will be the one of the first to come on here and say get rid of him, not suspend.

Public opinion is a cruel device, it requires no facts or evidence, it only needs speculation. We all have an agenda, its is just a matter of being honest with ourselves. Do I defend Ben because I like him as the Steelers QB, yes. Do I like him because he gives us the best chance at another Superbowl, yes. Now ask yourself, do you want him traded or punished because he is white and you think he gets away with more than black athletes or do you want him punished because he is not more like Peyton Manning, a QB who "seems" to cause no trouble for his team.

Perhaps in your heart you feel he is guilty of some wrongdoing and it disgusts you, I can respect that. If the evidence was more than just a he said she said scenario and if DNA had been present I might be siding with you, but after the first woman came forth with what amounts to nothing more than a money scam, I am inclined to suspect this young lady of the same after reading her statement that contradicts itself. Ben is a great QB, who by all appearances does not seem to "get it" that he is and will be a target for this kind of thing. If the Rooneys want to suspend him to try to get his attention on this than go ahead, but if the league or Rooneys suspend him only because of public opinion than justice will not be served.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote