Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,644 Times in 611 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Smile Pittsburgh is a highly-educated U.S. city

Check this out!

You know all that talk about how Pittsburgh is such a hostile place for young professionals? Apparently that's not true at all!

Quote:
Pittsburgh's young workforce among top 5 most educated in US
Pittsburgh takes No. 1 spot for percentage of the 25-to-34 set with graduate and professional degrees

PITTSBURGH—Once defined by heavy-industry and blue-collar masses, Pittsburgh now hosts the fifth most educated young workforce in the United States, a distinction that groups the city with such bastions of erudition as Boston, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., according to a recent report in the Pittsburgh Economic Quarterly published by the University of Pittsburgh's University Center for Social and Urban Research (UCSUR).

UCSUR regional economist Chris Briem used information collected by the U.S. Census Bureau to compare the educational attainment of workers aged 25 to 34 in Pittsburgh and the country's top 40 metropolitan areas. This age bracket provides a truer sense of a local workforce's collective learnedness and of a region's economic competitiveness, Briem said. People this age typically have completed their education, entered the workforce, and are often highly sought by employers. This younger cohort also tends to have had more formal education than previous generations, particularly in cities with a history of heavy industry that provided career-long jobs without requiring advanced degrees, Briem added.
Read more at the link above. Now time for some nifty charts!

There is a uniformly inverse relationship between age and educational attainment in Pittsburgh

Nearly half of all 25- to 34-year-olds in Pittsburgh have a college degree

If anything, Pittsburgh is a hostile place for young high-school dropouts!

Pittsburgh is #1 with a bullet in the percentage of 25- to 34-year-olds with graduate or professional degrees

It looks like the hard work of the last 25 years is finally beginning to pay off!
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774
Default Re: Pittsburgh is a highly-educated U.S. city

I will be there in the next couple of years!
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,405 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
I will be there in the next couple of years!
Hope you enjoy it.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Sent this to my uber liberal DC lawyer friend who actually lived in the Burgh for a couple years. He said that this is all manipulated data, and that this is skewed by all the schools there and the grad students, reiterating to me that Pittsburgh is a 3rd rate hillbilly town filled with ignorant, backwards rednecks.

Those were HIS words, NOT mine. I have vehemently defended Pittsburgh repeatedly.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

I always judge a city by their airport. I know it's not scientific or based on any serious data, but I think it works pretty well. Unfortunately, I've heard Pittsburgh's airport is in serious trouble. Could be wrong I haven't really looked into much.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Well, it figures.

With all the high-tech jobs there... The insurance (one of my insurance companies is there), the hospitals, and the schools, it should be that high.

It says a lot about a city that pulled itself up from where it was in 1980.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,644 Times in 611 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Sent this to my uber liberal DC lawyer friend who actually lived in the Burgh for a couple years. He said that this is all manipulated data, and that this is skewed by all the schools there and the grad students, reiterating to me that Pittsburgh is a 3rd rate hillbilly town filled with ignorant, backwards rednecks.

Those were HIS words, NOT mine. I have vehemently defended Pittsburgh repeatedly.
Have you informed him that Washington DC is a fake economy that's bound to collapse, and that the metropolitan area should be less than half the size it currently is? Washington DC in 2010 is like Pittsburgh in 1980: too reliant upon its primary industry, and the ancillary industries combined won't be enough to pick up the slack for the imminent collapse of said primary, because they're just not developed well enough. Of course, when a city is full of shithead Capitals fans, its economy deserves to collapse.

As for the "backwards" claim, the ultimate irony is that Pittsburgh families began telling their children as far back as the 1980's, "You will go to college, because a high-school diploma won't cut it in the future." That's very forward-thinking. Many Pittsburghers knew at the time that the near future was a lost cause, so it was time to retrench and focus on the more distant future -- primarily 2000 and beyond. As the blogger whose blog I found this information on said, Pittsburgh's efforts in education over the last roughly 25 years are the most noteworthy example of organic workforce development in the United States.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

Quote:
Of course, when a city is full of shithead Capitals fans, its economy deserves to collapse.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Don't be a coward come on out and say who you mean. Oh you meant yourself, good one.
That shit may play in the Braintrust playpen when you guys circle-jerk over your mutual hate for me, but, dude, you gotta step-up to the plate on the open board.

That was uber weak.

Have anything to contribute to this discussion that's relevant? What's your position on Pittsburgh relative to brain-drain and intellectual retention? I mean other than the really super insightful observation that you don't like the airport.

I'm absolutely breathless with anticipation at the prospect of you actually deigning to contribute your infinite lawyerly knowledge of all things to my humble little thread.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

http://www.unc.edu/~appolds/research...AnchorsMay.pdf

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...ort-cities.htm

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...nal_airpo.html

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...urgh-hub_N.htm

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_647157.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/localnew...rain1104p2.asp

I hate it when my instincts are right....damn the bad luck. Last time I check Gnutella started the thread but it would be typical of you to deem it your thread. The board is replete with enough bickering by you for people to draw their own conclusions on your contrived conflict. There's always next time Rev.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote