Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Icelandic Volcano Eruption will COOL Global Warming.

It's a fact. Sulfur Dioxide, a byproduct of volcanic eruptions, is released into the atmosphere and acts as a "sunscreen" for the planet, reflecting sunlight back and cooling the planet. In 1991, an eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Phillipines released so much SO2 into the air that the Earth's temperature actually cooled .9 the following year.

In fact, if we wanted to stop Global Warming, we could geo-engineer a device to pump sufur dioxide directly into the atmosphere for a teeny-tiny fraction of the cost of all these crazy cap-n-trade type deals. Sulfur, by the way, is a byproduct of removing oil from shale, like we do in Canada. They literally have mountains of the stuff laying around with no use for it.

Of course certain moonbattery elements of this board will refute this notion simply because I'm the one saying it, but do your own research. Start with Nobel Laureate Paul Crutzen and uber-genius Nathan Myhrvold's work on the idea. It would cost about 250 million, and end global warming, whether man-made or not, forever.

Oddly, though, the mainstream scientific community hates these ideas, even though they are sound and have even been tested in nature...I'm guessing because nobody is going to make any money off this simple, affordable solution.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Icelandic Volcano Eruption will COOL Global Warming.

My understanding is that it's less like sunscreen and more like Coppertone QT; it's going to give the Earth a tan, but a fake and sickly orange one, not unlike George Hamilton's.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Not single credible poster from either side of the issue has a response?

That's odd....
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
WH

Member Number:

It would definately work. The Science is there, but the Threat of Global Warming is such a money maker for so many overpowered people.....a project like this, if presented to the general public, would be vilified almost immediately.

http://www.wired.com/science/planete...urrentPage=all

Al Gore and main stream Green groups have already disagreed with globalengineering.

The details in that article, however, have me agreeing that it's not a bad idea, not a bad idea at all.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

That's odd....
You're questioning the legitimacy and credibility of George Hamilton?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

It will be a convenient "out" for scientists who want to jump off of the global warming bandwagon.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

That's odd....
BORING!

1. it is draft week
2. schedule about to be released.
3. our #1 wr was just shitcanned.
4. our 2X sb winning qb (who is regarded as the best above brady and manning by many is about to be suspended.

what do you expect on a steelers fanboard?

what is odd is the use of the word "odd" 4 times in this thread so far.

are you volunteering to spew all the hot air and volcanic ash into the atmosphere? because if not, i see no other viable mechanism in place.

so your answer to fighting pollution is to create..... more pollution?

youre not really suggesting one can be made for 1/4 of the price it took jerry jones to build a new football stadium, are you?

BRILLIANT! (talk about putting sunscreen on a pig).

How Geoengineering Works: 5 Big Plans to Stop Global Warming

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...onment/4290084

Quote:
1. Copy a Volcano
2. Shoot Mirrors Into Space
3. Seed the Sea with Iron
4. Whiten the Clouds with Wind-Powered Ships
5. Build Fake Trees

6. None of the Above

Despite its spectacular potential, Rutgers' Alan Robock can cite many potential drawbacks to geoengineering. He lists relatively trivial concerns, such as fewer blue skies, and technological ones, such as thwarting the potential of solar power. Some fears touch on the apocalyptic: For example, scientists have no idea whether they could shut down some of these geoengineering projects once they start.

Plus, and perhaps most important, geoengineering treats the symptoms of global warming, and could very well undermine efforts to address the root cause. If scientists engineer what appears to be a solution to global warming, Robock says, people may feel as though they don't need to reduce their personal carbon emissions and companies may continue to conduct business as usual, expecting researchers to clean up the mess.

If you ask a bunch of geoengineering experts how we should launch massive, Earth-changing projects, their most common response is that we shouldn't. Given the cost, maintenance, political headaches and unknowns involved in geoengineering, even the scientists who know the most about it see it as an absolute last resort. But some, like Manchester's Brian Launder, believe that now is the time to research these proposals so that in 10 or 20 years, should governments fail to act, scientists have them at the ready. As Launder and fellow Royal Society member Michael Thompson write in a special geoengineering issue of the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, "While such geoscale interventions may be risky, the time may well come when they are accepted as less risky than doing nothing."
i chalk this up there with other brilliant ideas such as burying nuclear waste inside an active fault line.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

That's about as insightful as an irrelevant and unrelated VP bunker map.

Besides, Tony, I said "credible". You're strictly a C-list 3rd rate political hack...

Anyway, did anyone bother to check out the credentials of the actual scientists who are proposing this? Inevitable diversionary personal character attacks and insults from my Braintrust fan club (and I use that term strictly in it's SF social group meaning) aside, these guys are pretty sharp and have some real street cred in the scientific community. I also heard this topic brought up by a couple scientists on a recent NPR forum, so it looks like it's getting some legs under it...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
BORING!

so your answer to fighting pollution is to create..... more pollution?
Seriously.

I may be some crazy conservative who doesn't believe in human caused global warming.

But we shouldn't be intentional polluting just to see if it works, it may achieve it goal of cooling the earth, but at what cost? could it cool it too much and send us spiraling into an ice age? could it affects and wild life in a negative manner in a yet to be seen manner?

As a conservative I do support many of the "green" ideas, just not for their fight global warming goal. I support them because many could help us be energy independent and we should try and pollute as little as possible in the first place, not because of global warming, just because its the right thing to do.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
WH

Member Number:

http://www.livescience.com/environme...te-100210.html

Some negatives of geoengineering are discussed here.

Looks like Acid Rain and a change in weather patterns are 2 of the cons.