Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #21
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925
Default Re: Icelandic Volcano Eruption will COOL Global Warming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post

As a conservative I do support many of the "green" ideas, just not for their fight global warming goal. I support them because many could help us be energy independent and we should try and pollute as little as possible in the first place, not because of global warming, just because its the right thing to do.
I agree with you there...
steelerohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

Anyway, did anyone bother to check out the credentials of the actual scientists who are proposing this?
i would actually assume you read Superfreakenomics if your OP wasnt such a horrible crib job of a book review that was probably the 1st topic that popped up after a quick google search. you have been guilty of this and called out on it in the past.

infact, this was almost a verbatim cliff notes version. i can understand not having an opinion of your own but such blatant attempts to mask plagairizm is shameful.

anyways, lets just check "your" ubergenius source-

Myhrvold jumps the shark — and jumps ship on SuperFreakonomics

Quote:
Nathan Myhrvold, who Levitt and Dubner call the “polymath’s polymath” — who is one of the primary “experts” the authors rely on to make the case for their central geoengineering-only approach to global warming — has just publicly repudiated that approach. Apparently he never read the chapter — or didn’t understand it if he did. And apparently in their rush to print this “rebuttal” to my debunkings, the Superfreaks didn’t bother to read it closely, since he just wrote this jaw-dropper on their blog:
Quote:
Geoengineering is proposed only as a last resort to try to reduce or cope with the even greater harms of global warming!

… The point of the chapter in SuperFreakonomics is that geoengineering might be good insurance in case we don’t get global warming under control.
You can’t make this stuff up.

As the Union of Concerned Scientists posted here about Myhrvold’s amazing defense repudiation of Superfreakonomics:

Quote:
That is exactly the opposite of what the book argues and represents a complete repudiation of the chapter from one of the main sources on which Levitt and Dubner relied.
http://www.grist.org/article/myhrvol...rfreakonomics/ (more to the article with the actual links to above quotes in text)

completely bushleague revs. thats why people dont waste their time responding to these amateurish, wannabe high minded postings and threads of yours.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #23
WH

Member Number:

Since we brought up the WWE in a thread about that volcano.....

The WWE might have to cancel their PPV This Sunday. 1/2 of their roster is stuck in Britain.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #24
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
Since we brought up the WWE in a thread about that volcano.....

The WWE might have to cancel their PPV This Sunday. 1/2 of their roster is stuck in Britain.
thats ok. i'll be watching the NBA playoffs and the NASCAR race.

atleast now, i can sleep well knowing that this volcano will cancel out the carbon footprint of shaqulle oneal, plus 43 racecars (that avg 5 mpg) racing for 500 miles.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #25
tony hipchest

i checked out some more of the credentials from "actual" scientists.

Mr. Fantastic is a fan of the plan (i suspect he knows global warming can be attributed to the Human Torch).

Dr. Doom.... not so much (no profits to be made).

Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #26
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
completely bushleague revs. thats why people dont waste their time responding to these amateurish, wannabe high minded postings and threads of yours.
Not true! I responded!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #27
WH

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Not true! I responded!
shut up C-lister!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #28
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
shut up C-lister!!!!
D'oh! My secret shame... I've been found out!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #29
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

(Sigh)
It's fine to attack me. It's also part of the modus operandi of certain members here to know NOTHING about a topic I bring up, and 5 minutes later after reading a wiki article about it to profess absolute mastery of the topic. That's part and parcel with being a 3rd string political poster. As is typical, you project your own MO onto me. Let me correct you YET AGAIN...first off, I read both Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics, in their entirety, but that was quite some time ago, and was relatively unrelated to this, since the Volcano in Iceland is what triggered the OP. I have also read two scholarly papers on the matter, one by Crutzen, the other by some other PhD. So, big FAIL there, as usual.

Now, let's get real.

I never stated anything other than this as a last resort. The REAL salient point is that the World will NOT end if we don't clean up our act on the outside chance Global Warming is real. So the 5th rate refutation above is based wither upon ignorance, poor reading comprehension, or simply such blind hatred for me that there is no longer even a semblance of balance and logic on some posters part, they will simply say "black" to my "white" no matter what.

Sad. Pathetic. It's actually more deserving of sympathy than anything else. We see it time and time again, just like with the bunker maps. Hate clouds reason and logic to the exclusion of the actual ability to even properly debate, just simply resorting to attacks against people who have a far deeper and better understanding of how the World around them works.

I feel sorry for you, Tony. You're a small man who gets to play the part of a bigger man on a message board...

As for the validity of the SO2 idea, Crutzen also backs this plan. He's got 2 PhD's, and is actually an atmospheric chemist working at the Max Planck Institute (Google learning opportunity, Tony!). I'm guessing he's SLIGHTLY more knowledgeable on the subject than any of us here. So the plan, AS A LAST RESORT, is completely sound.

But, as the OP stated, this is going to happen regardless, as Eyjafjallajokull has already erupted and is dumping about 3,000 tons a day of SO2 into the air.

Last edited by revefsreleets; 04-21-2010 at 01:15 PM.
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #30
ricardisimo
Administrator

I'm going to start translating rev's posts into plain English, whenever I feel that his bile is getting in the way of intelligibility. Here's my first try:

Quote:
There appears to have been a misunderstanding at some point along the way; I did not mean to suggest that this plan of polluting the atmosphere on purpose should be effected immediately. My main point is that CO2 is not the imminent threat some make it out to be.

I base this opinion on my reading of Crutzen and some other PhD, and besides, Crutzen has two PhDs, and so can be counted twice.

It saddens me, Tony, that you and I have gotten off on the wrong foot. I hope to avoid these sorts of unnecessary entanglements in the future, and I ask that you likewise strive both to understand me and to be understood by me.
How was that? I'm using a rather old Troll-English/English-Troll dictionary, but I think I got the broad strokes in there.

Last edited by ricardisimo; 04-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote