Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Coveting more draft picks, Jaguars are already talking trade

Coveting more draft picks, Jaguars are already talking trade
Source URL: http://jacksonville.com/sports/footb...-talking-trade

By Vito Stellino

The Jaguars have sent a message to the rest of the league: They're ready and willing to swing some trades next week during the NFL Draft.

And they didn't wait until the day of the draft to start trade talks.

General manager Gene Smith and his top deputy, director of player personnel Terry McDonough, said they have been talking with teams since the scouting combine.

"We've been networking with the league and having constant dialogue," Smith said Thursday at the team's annual pre-draft luncheon.

Said McDonough, who is in charge of conducting the talks: "We're very proactive. A lot of teams don't want to have those discussions back in February and March. We're constantly talking to teams not only about the first round, but every round. You make good contacts and have good relationships, and a lot of time trades are built on relationships. It's not something we dive into the week before the draft. Teams know the Jaguars are very open to moving around in any round."

The Jaguars would like to trade down out of the 10th spot on the first round and pick up more picks, as they currently have only six total selections and don't have a second-round choice.

The Jaguars traded their 2010 second-round pick last year to move up to take cornerback Derek Cox, and they have no regrets about that move because he started 16 games as a rookie and lived up to his billing.

But they'd still like to get a second-rounder back, and they're in something of a no man's land with the 10th pick. Because the top-10 picks are paid so much money, the Jaguars could probably trade down and pick a similar player who would be paid less money while accumulating more picks.

The Jaguars don't know if they'll be able to pull off such a deal.

"You can't anticipate anything at this point," Smith said. "Teams have said they're willing to be trade partners, and we think it's a good thing if we can help each other, but there hasn't been a lot of substance to our conversations."

Added McDonough: "They [other teams] don't want show their hand completely. They may have a player in mind, but they don't give you the player's name. Right now, they want you to commit to things that aren't realistic. When it gets close and a player they really covet is there, they'll come up there and try to get him."

The groundwork for deals is usually laid in advance.

"There's not an opportunity when you're on the clock," Smith said. "A lot of teams call before the draft, and then you close the deal on draft day."

The best scenario for the Jaguars is if Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen falls to the 10th spot and a team wants him. On the other hand, the Jaguars will face a tough decision if they don't get a very good offer for the pick, but are tempted to take it just to get out of the 10th spot.

Teams have a numerical table for what picks are worth, but Smith said, "You can't just go off the point system. You have to look at a number of different things. Where is the player on your board? You're looking at the opportunity to pick up picks and look at the opportunity to put yourself maybe in a better position back where there's greater value."

Smith said they won't trade just for the sake of making trades.

"In any draft, it would be great to pick up more picks. But we won't do that at the expense of being cute," Smith said.

Smith drafted four starters last season. He said he doesn't feel pressure to repeat that performance.

"Pressure is being unprepared," Smith said. "You try to bring in the best players where you're selecting in the draft."

Smith also said the team has yet to take any player off the board, despite reports they're already taken Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant off their board because of his off-the-field problems. Smith said that wouldn't occur until Wednesday, when they give owner Wayne Weaver a rundown on some of the questionable players.

As expected, Smith was asked about Florida quarterback Tim Tebow and deflected it by saying he'll be treated just like any other player in the draft.

Smith also was asked if he thinks the Jaguars can make a playoff run this year after going 12-20 the last two seasons.

"If the stars were aligned ... I'd like to say it could happen. If we stay healthy, we certainly have a chance to compete for the playoffs. I don't think there are any givens, and it's way too early to get my crystal ball out," Smith said.

vito.stellino@jacksonville.com,

(904) 359-4279

(Hmmm Trade partner for the Steelers? I would be interested to know what learned draft guru's such as LLT think of this. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Coveting more draft picks, Jaguars are already talking trade

I'm no "draft guru", but I know this: The Jags have made some mystifying moves in the draft in the last couple of years. They moved up in 2008 in a HUGE reach for Derrick Harvey. They have a hard-on for Florida Gators, so it would not surprise me in the least if they traded down a little and still reached for Tebow with their first pick. Part of the reason they are in this boat is the fact that they have traded away picks before (like the Browns) which hurts them in that and subsequent drafts. They only had 5 picks in '08, they did better with 9 last year, and they are down to 6 this year.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

We would have to give up our #18 pick and our 2nd rounder to move up to #10..which is probably more than unlikely.

A team like the Patriots who have multiple 2nd round picks might be tempted, especially if their is an OLB or DE that they covet.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,105 Posts

I don't think we should give up our second round pick. If this is the case I say just stay where we are at. There is so much talent in this years draft I would hate to loose our second.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I'm no "draft guru", but I know this: The Jags have made some mystifying moves in the draft in the last couple of years. They moved up in 2008 in a HUGE reach for Derrick Harvey. They have a hard-on for Florida Gators, so it would not surprise me in the least if they traded down a little and still reached for Tebow with their first pick. Part of the reason they are in this boat is the fact that they have traded away picks before (like the Browns) which hurts them in that and subsequent drafts. They only had 5 picks in '08, they did better with 9 last year, and they are down to 6 this year.
I dont always understand the way that Jacksonville picks, but they had a heck of a draft last year...
Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton both broke into the starting line up and will be their OLT and ORT for the next several years. Third round DT Terrance Knighton and 4th round CB Derek Cox started all 16 games.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote