Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_677104.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 19, 2010

Notre Dame's Golden Tate has drawn comparisons with Hines Ward, the Steelers' career leader in receptions who is also one of the NFL's most physical pass-catchers.

Tate is projected to go in the first round Thursday in the NFL Draft, and it just so happens the Steelers are in the market for a receiver to replace Santonio Holmes.

Talk about good timing.

"My biggest strength is being able to break tackles," Tate said. "It's tough for guys to tackle me. My speed has always been one of my strengths. Also my hands. Once it touches my hands, it's not going anywhere."

A consensus first-team All-American, Tate led Notre Dame with 93 receptions for 1,496 yards (16.1 average) and 15 touchdowns in 2009. He also rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns. Extremely versatile, Tate averaged 14.2 yards on 12 punt returns with one touchdown and returned three kickoffs for a 20.7-yard average.

Built more like a halfback than a receiver, Tate (5-foot-10 1/2, 199 pounds) is very effective running with the ball from the slot, but it's his ability to run after the catch and make people miss that distinguishes the former high school running back.

Tate developed his speed as a kid growing up in Hendersonville, Tenn., where he rushed for 1,413 yards and 23 touchdowns as a senior at Pope John Paul II High School. His father played wide receiver at Tennessee State and was a fifth-round draft pick of the Indianapolis Colts in 1984.

"He runs after the catch better than any wide receiver in this draft," said Mike Mayock of NFL Network, who compared him to Ward. "(Tate) is not a sophisticated route runner despite coming out of a sophisticated offense. But he is a playmaker, and that's what this league is all about.''

Tate, who met with Steelers coaches and officials at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, made a personal visit to the team's practice facility April 7.

Tate said he emulates Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith.

Said Tate: "I'm not afraid to go over the middle and catch a ball or throw a block."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
whatdoiknow
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 613
Member Number: 16053
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

That article couldn't be more incorrect if it tried. Tate is as far away from Hines as there is. And Tate is NOT a physical WR. He shys away from contact and blocking like Paris Hilton does chasttity. Tate is a flier...more speed than anything. Great return guy, as where Ward never did that in his life. And ward was a college QB at times too. Tate is not. Absolutely horrid comparison.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 84,205
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 973
Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

I think he would make us a good receiver but I hope we don't draft a receiver in the first round.
__________________
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
BritishSteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lincoln, England
Posts: 1,443
Gender: Male
Member Number: 878
Thanks: 197
Thanked 324 Times in 158 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

I can see the comparisons with Steve Smith (Though he'll need to go some to have a career that good) but Hines? - He's unique in my view as there aren't any other WRs in the NFL who can catch, break a tackle and hit like a linebacker. Half of Hines value is his up-field blocking ability, I've not seen much from Tate to suggest that he has that kind of ability.

A very decent WR prospect though. I doubt we'll take him because I don't see us taking a WR in the first two rounds, which is where he'll go, I think.
__________________
All Humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo!.
BritishSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 720
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I think he would make us a good receiver but I hope we don't draft a receiver in the first round.
I'm hoping that we don't draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
PhantomJB93
Head Coach
 
PhantomJB93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 1,996
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13907
Thanks: 373
Thanked 880 Times in 437 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

He may be no "Hines Ward" in terms of blocking but he's the closest thing we will see to him in the coming years, Hines is certainly a unique receiver and once he's gone we will have no "super-physical" receivers; Tate may not hit or block as hard as a linebacker or anything like we've come to see from Hines but if you want another physical receiver to grow into Hines's role, even if not fully replace it, Tate's the guy. He's the only receiver (for the Steelers, at least, not to say other receivers shouldnt go that early but Tate is the only guy that could work for our team) worth taking before round 3...I really hope we trade up in the 2nd to grab him if he's still available at the end of the 1st but if he is for some reason gone than I agree I dont want to see a receiver before round 3 or 4.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Duds
Water Boy
 
Duds's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 24
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

I think Tate is very comparable to Ward. Same size, tough, and a gamer. Ward didn't come into the league as a vicious blocker. He developed that in his first few years with the Steelers. Tate could be the same way. Yes, he is not the most physical guy, but think about how much beter Holmes got at blocking and even Sweed showed some flashes in the AFC Title game in '08. Point is these guys learn from Ward, and Tate could be a guy who models his game after him and turns into the next "Hines"
__________________
Six-Burgh is Sweet, but looking to relocate to Seventh Heaven!
Duds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
chitownpit
Bench Warmer
 
chitownpit's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, ILLINOIS
Posts: 184
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_677104.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 19, 2010

Notre Dame's Golden Tate has drawn comparisons with Hines Ward, the Steelers' career leader in receptions who is also one of the NFL's most physical pass-catchers.

Tate is projected to go in the first round Thursday in the NFL Draft, and it just so happens the Steelers are in the market for a receiver to replace Santonio Holmes.

Talk about good timing.

"My biggest strength is being able to break tackles," Tate said. "It's tough for guys to tackle me. My speed has always been one of my strengths. Also my hands. Once it touches my hands, it's not going anywhere."

A consensus first-team All-American, Tate led Notre Dame with 93 receptions for 1,496 yards (16.1 average) and 15 touchdowns in 2009. He also rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns. Extremely versatile, Tate averaged 14.2 yards on 12 punt returns with one touchdown and returned three kickoffs for a 20.7-yard average.

Built more like a halfback than a receiver, Tate (5-foot-10 1/2, 199 pounds) is very effective running with the ball from the slot, but it's his ability to run after the catch and make people miss that distinguishes the former high school running back.

Tate developed his speed as a kid growing up in Hendersonville, Tenn., where he rushed for 1,413 yards and 23 touchdowns as a senior at Pope John Paul II High School. His father played wide receiver at Tennessee State and was a fifth-round draft pick of the Indianapolis Colts in 1984.

"He runs after the catch better than any wide receiver in this draft," said Mike Mayock of NFL Network, who compared him to Ward. "(Tate) is not a sophisticated route runner despite coming out of a sophisticated offense. But he is a playmaker, and that's what this league is all about.''

Tate, who met with Steelers coaches and officials at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, made a personal visit to the team's practice facility April 7.

Tate said he emulates Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith.

Said Tate: "I'm not afraid to go over the middle and catch a ball or throw a block."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
i would be afraid to compair any reciever to ward. this man is carving a H O F carrier with his heart and soul. not pure god given talent . and we all know blocking comes from the heart and thats why he is the best blocking WR in football .13 years and iv never seen him take a play off . but tates ability to take a 5 yard pass 25yrds and break two tackles reminds you of ward dragging 3 baltimore backs for few yards
chitownpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
chitownpit
Bench Warmer
 
chitownpit's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, ILLINOIS
Posts: 184
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame receiver Tate compared to Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duds View Post
I think Tate is very comparable to Ward. Same size, tough, and a gamer. Ward didn't come into the league as a vicious blocker. He developed that in his first few years with the Steelers. Tate could be the same way. Yes, he is not the most physical guy, but think about how much beter Holmes got at blocking and even Sweed showed some flashes in the AFC Title game in '08. Point is these guys learn from Ward, and Tate could be a guy who models his game after him and turns into the next "Hines"
in these days of more and more talent and less and less heart the ability to find the next "hines" may be a hard task . but yes,who better to mentor the young man than the man we all love.

'
chitownpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts