Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
marksashton
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1333
Default A loss is a loss

The refs made a difference - possibly a crucial difference - but ultimately the Seahawks did themselves in. If they caught the passes they should have caught they would have won the game. I don't think any impartial observer can walk away from watching that game and not think that Seattle is the better team but they still lost the game because of their own personal screwups. The fact that the Steelers defense didn't have much to do with the Hawks debacles makes no difference. The fact that the Seahawks defense outplayed the Pittsburgh defense makes no difference. Game over.

Last edited by marksashton; 02-06-2006 at 11:43 PM.
marksashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
bozz723
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1132
Default Re: A loss is a loss

No, the seahawks really did not do anything to prove they were at all better. The fact of he matter is, if Ben lobs the ball to cedrick wilson instead of throwing it right to hernon, the game wouldnt have even been close. I assume the dropped passes you are refering to are Jerramy Stevens' drops. Well everytime he dropped the ball he got absolutely popped, so he should have dropped the ball.

The seahawks did nothing defensively, it was more Bens nerves , I think. However, Ben made the big play like all champions do and the Seahawks were unable to make the big play. For the record, the only call that was bad was the Hasselbeck personal foul, THATS IT.
bozz723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

hey great teams can over come bad officiating. so that tells you something about the hawks, we went through the same shit with the colts and we still came out on top, that just shows who the better team is
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
thumb 2 come
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz723
For the record, the only call that was bad was the Hasselbeck personal foul, THATS IT.
That and the call they made for an incomplete pass that I believe Stevens dropped. He clearly had control then dropped the ball.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
MattyD.
Water Boy

Location: Ohio. In the Bermuda Triangle located between Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Columbus
Member Number: 1889

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumb 2 come
That and the call they made for an incomplete pass that I believe Stevens dropped. He clearly had control then dropped the ball.
-Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Since when can you catch a ball, take three steps, get hit and lose the ball, and have it ruled as an incomplete pass? And the refs were cheating for the Steelers?? Come on Seahawk's, you wasted so many opportunities it was absurd!

L8R,
Matt D.
MattyD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,948 Times in 4,535 Posts

the better team would not let j. porter get into their head. the better team would not forget they had the league mvp and pass 49 times. the better team wouldve capitalized when they turned a potential 21-3 deficit to 14-10. regardless of officiating seattle had a chance, the parker run and the el pass were great coaching calls that seattle wasnt prepared for. steelers couldve been down by 2 td at half and still won.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
marksashton
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz723
No, the seahawks really did not do anything to prove they were at all better. The fact of he matter is, if Ben lobs the ball to cedrick wilson instead of throwing it right to hernon, the game wouldnt have even been close. I assume the dropped passes you are refering to are Jerramy Stevens' drops. Well everytime he dropped the ball he got absolutely popped, so he should have dropped the ball.

The seahawks did nothing defensively, it was more Bens nerves , I think. However, Ben made the big play like all champions do and the Seahawks were unable to make the big play. For the record, the only call that was bad was the Hasselbeck personal foul, THATS IT.
The Hawks did nothing defensively? So the fact that Pittsburgh couldn't run the ball - except for one big exception - was nothing? Seattle's defense dominated PIttsburgh's offensive game - passing and rushing. No question there.

Regarding bad calls...it's all in the eye of the beholder. The TD called back b/c of the "push-off" was very very very close. Show me any reasonably contested TD pass where the defender and receiver aren't in contact. I think the Seattle receiver had his hand on the defender but I didn't see any push off.

The holding call that cost Seattle another TD was even more iffy. There is a lot of pushing and grabbing in football. The refs decided to call some pretty ticky tacky penalties on the Seahawks and none on Pittsburgh.

Bottom line: Seattle loss.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
marksashton
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
hey great teams can over come bad officiating. so that tells you something about the hawks, we went through the same shit with the colts and we still came out on top, that just shows who the better team is
The difference between the Seattle game and the Colts game is that the Seahawks were beating Pittsburgh on the field. In the Colts game, Pittsburgh was beating the Colts. The bad calls in the Colts game made it closer than it should have been. The bad calls in the Seahawks game were a significant (but maybe not decisive) factor in Seattle losing the game.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
marksashton
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyD.
-Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Since when can you catch a ball, take three steps, get hit and lose the ball, and have it ruled as an incomplete pass? And the refs were cheating for the Steelers?? Come on Seahawk's, you wasted so many opportunities it was absurd!

L8R,
Matt D.
I agree with that. I think he had posession. By the time that happened the Seahawks should have been up by 10.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,499 Times in 3,736 Posts

The better team is whichever team wins the game. I believe that is why they keep score- this isn't figure skating.

The Cowher Steelers may have been the "better team" in their playoff losses to San Diego, Dallas, Denver, and New England (twice) but they lost the games and had to deal with the consequences. The Seahawks can now do the same.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote