Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #21
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Sweed Statement.

See, the key about drafting guys to the NFL is say you have 8 picks, you're lucky if 2 of them are actual impact players. And that's hoping the 1st round guy pans out and some late pick steps up.

That's about it, if you have say 10 picks you are drafting for depth, back ups, later on, and hope you get some really good future stars, but not for that season. Detriot didn't draft that kid out of Georgia as QB to win the superbowl last year, they are rebuilding.

We didn't even draft Ben to get us to the AFC Title game in 04, we were relying on Maddox at that time, but he got hurt, so Ben HAD TO Play.

I just think, people have this notion that "all the Steelers draft picks are awesome" When really, they aren't. Sometimes we get very lucky (WOODLEY) and sometimes we miss the boat completely, Anthony Smith.

So we have to just be patient, let the guys develop into our system and into the NFL Style of the Game. Its more than just "going to class" and not getting in trouble on Campus to play at this level, and some kids need a year or two to adjust. Hopefully...Sweed can finally make the adjustment, or he's gone.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #22
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,665 Times in 816 Posts

Which is why I never get excited about the draft. You just never know how a 22 year old kid is going to react to having millions dumped in his lap AND having to work his butt off harder than he's ever had to in his life without his coaches babysitting him.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #23
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
You know, it wouldn't surprise me IF Limas actually had a decent turn around this season...ONLY because it is his free agent season. Then we sign him to a nice new HIGH Dollar deal...and he goes right back to
Mr. I drop EVERYTHING Sweed.

I think your wrong...Mendy and Sweed both signed 5 year deals when they were drafted that year...this is Sweeds 3rd year.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #24
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKid212 View Post
its amazing how so many ppl have sweeds back despite so many unsuccessful seasons!

im a believer in sweed as well, it just surprises me, because i cant recall the last time so many people still had high hopes for a steeler player even though they hadnt done much to prove themselves for their first 3 seasons.

2 years is nothing...you act like he's had 5-6 years of crappy seasons. And we believe in him because we have seen what he can do. In college...also in preseason when he gets more playing time he has made some awesome catches. When you dont see the field much during the regular season...how are you suppose to get out there and improve and get in a rhythm. He has caught 7 passes during the reg season and been thrown to no more than probably 12 times...a few of those passes werent catchable...the others were. Santonio had the drops at times last year (probably dropped more than Sweed has), yet he still got the playing time, etc. I think if Sweed can get some regular playing time he will do just fine.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #25
Men of Steel
Starter

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Ok, I like the Avatar but your making a very inacurate statement. I'll explain:

Sweed has had 2 seasons since joining the Steelers. His rookie season was full of memorable drops, his 2nd season was a total mess.

So 2 seasons. Drafted in 08. So he played the 08 and 09 seasons.
ok. yes 2 seasons! i got ahead of myself there.
( i guess with so many BIG drops... it just seemed like ALOT longer)
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #26
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post
Honestly, I expect more of the same from him and believe he will be cut this season...

I believe he has issues (mental health) and also lacks something deep in his heart to be an NFL football player. I wish him well, but I want WR's on this team who can catch the ball. Sweed hasn't even shown an understanding of his position to this point... I don't see that suddenly changing.
I totally disagree with this. If he lacked heart to be in the NFL the Steelers would have sh!t canned him already. Last year, during camp, we read story after story about how much effort and how well Sweed performed. It's 100% mental. If he catches those big passes he dropped the past two years, no one would be questioning his heart ... they'd be talking about what a stud he is.

I heard he did this same thing at Texas. He lacked confidence and struggled, then the school worked to build his confidence and he was a success. Let's just hope his time off was spent in a productive manner ... maybe with Ward talking in his ear, coaching him along. 6' 5" 230lbs and consistently getting behind coverage ... I'm hoping he gets his confidence up this year and starts making those catches. If he does, we'll be asking "Santonio who?".
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
Sweeds personal issues are none of our business.....
My bet is he was assaulted by Ben.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #28
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
Sweeds personal issues are none of our business.....

This place is starting to get like the grocery-store tabloid section..
Or the beauty parlor with all of the blue hairs gossiping while they sit under the dryer with a bazillion rollers in their hair.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #29
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
My bet is he was assaulted by Ben.
You beat me to it...

On a serious note, I think Sweed has the tools and I think (hope) he puts it together this year.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #30
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
2 years is nothing...you act like he's had 5-6 years of crappy seasons. And we believe in him because we have seen what he can do. In college...also in preseason when he gets more playing time he has made some awesome catches. When you dont see the field much during the regular season...how are you suppose to get out there and improve and get in a rhythm. He has caught 7 passes during the reg season and been thrown to no more than probably 12 times...a few of those passes werent catchable...the others were. Santonio had the drops at times last year (probably dropped more than Sweed has), yet he still got the playing time, etc. I think if Sweed can get some regular playing time he will do just fine.
college is a different game. troy edwards was awesome in college then we drafted him in the 1st round and he was a bust
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote