Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 212
Member Number: 15586
Thanks: 35
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Default A New Mock Draft

1. Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
---Even though everyone is in love with Earl Thomas at the moment, the respect is well deserved. Thomas was a dominant free safety in college and only played for two years. A fast, smart and athletic football player. Still can learn and mature in the game. Maybe gone at this point.
Kyle Wilson is an option here but cornerback is deeper in this draft and Thomas is the better player.

Also of Note: If either Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga make it to 10 or later don't be surprised if the Steelers move up to take a left tackle. This would allow Max Starks to move to the right side as tackle and kick Colon into guard. Hopefully Kugler, the new O-line coach, will be able to succeed where our previous o-line coach failed.

2. Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
---Once a fringe first round prospect, Robinson has been leapfrogged on draft boards by Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty and now on some even Kareem Jackson. Robinson played well in the senior bowl until he injured his foot. Good size and speed, he could step up in the Steelers defense.

3. Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson
---As a football player, Ford is almost a clone of Santonio Holmes. Similar in size and playing style both are speedy receivers. Ford posted the fasted time at the combine with 4.28. He dominated at the Senior Bowl and matured into a better route runner in his final year of college. Was primarily a deep threat, but can become a better receiver across the middle. Also serves dual purpose because he can return punts.

4. Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford
---Though he may be overdrafted come Thursday, his talent is around this range. Gerhart was hyper-productive as a college starter. He was the focal point of Stanford's offense and opposing teams defenses, however he still managed to post record numbers. Shattering even those of "Touchdown Tommy" who was overdrafted by going 9 overall. If he is available in the 4th I see no way the Steelers pass on this kid.

Thats it for now

Need to sleep, maybe I'll finish the later rounds tomorrow.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
cloppbeast
Team Captain
 
cloppbeast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Glory View Post
3. Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson
---As a football player, Ford is almost a clone of Santonio Holmes. Similar in size and playing style both are speedy receivers. Ford posted the fasted time at the combine with 4.28. He dominated at the Senior Bowl and matured into a better route runner in his final year of college. Was primarily a deep threat, but can become a better receiver across the middle. Also serves dual purpose because he can return punts.
I disagree with this pick. We already have a little speed WR who can stretch the field in Wallace for years to come. If we're going to pick a WR it should be a big possession guy, considering Hines won't be around much longer.

Eric Decker from Minnesota, 6-3 220 might be an interesting player to look at. Although he has had some injury concerns, he he may be worth taking a chance on. He ran a 4.55 40 time, which is pretty impressive for a guy his size. He has a knack for finding the football and makes the tough grabs in traffic, as well. He runs with purpose on screen passes and reverses. I would also like to add that Decker is a great blocker. Really reminds me of Ward.

Last edited by cloppbeast; 04-19-2010 at 11:51 PM.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
whatdoiknow
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 613
Member Number: 16053
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Really, you would call a WR who is about 6ft, 1, and a solid 215 Lbs a " LITTLE " WR ????? Cause that's what Wallace is.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
cloppbeast
Team Captain
 
cloppbeast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
Really, you would call a WR who is about 6ft, 1, and a solid 215 Lbs a " LITTLE " WR ????? Cause that's what Wallace is.
Well, the point I was trying to make was that Wallace is a fast guy that can stretch the field, so we already have that type of guy. Instead we should go after a big tough possession WR to replace Ward.

Anyway, Wallace is about 200. About an average sized WR.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
whatdoiknow
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 613
Member Number: 16053
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
Well, the point I was trying to make was that Wallace is a fast guy that can stretch the field, so we already have that type of guy. Instead we should go after a big tough possession WR to replace Ward.




I agree somewhat. Ford is a pure " Slot " WR. And not strong either to break the Jam, like El can. We are covered at the slot, so for that reason we don't need Ford. But we don't need a " Big " WR in the mold of a Benn or Thomas either cause neither of those guys have good hands, or are refined as WR's. But a Dekker, or better yet a Shipley would do fine later on down the draft.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner
 
xXTheSteelKingsXx's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,636
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5803
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
Really, you would call a WR who is about 6ft, 1, and a solid 215 Lbs a " LITTLE " WR ????? Cause that's what Wallace is.
Wrong again. Jacoby Ford weighd in at the combine at 5'9 186lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profil...ford?id=497288

Search engines are a friend to all.
__________________
xXTheSteelKingsXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
cloppbeast
Team Captain
 
cloppbeast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
But a Dekker, or better yet a Shipley would do fine later on down the draft.
Shipley is about 6 foot and weighs in at about 190. The man's a toothpick.

Plus, you remember how our last WR we drafted from Texas worked out, don't you?
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Kingmagyar
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16118
Thanks: 14
Thanked 200 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Remember Hines Ward and Randal El are soon to be gone leaving us really only Wallace and maybe Sweed.

Jacoby Ford would be the little guy with speed that could catch a 5 yard pass and take it to the house. Blocking might be a problem.

How about Damian Williams USC WR, (HT: 6-0⅝ - WT: 197 - 40: 4.53)

or Brandon Lafell WR LSU (HT: 6-2 - WT: 211 - 40: 4.60) ?

Love the running back pick, but if we miss on getting him try for Anthony Dixon later in the draft.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
whatdoiknow
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 613
Member Number: 16053
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
Shipley is about 6 foot and weighs in at about 190. The man's a toothpick.

Plus, you remember how our last WR we drafted from Texas worked out, don't you?




Ah,,,Do I remember how our last WR from Texas worked out ???And that's your argument against Shipley ? Jesus, if we followed your logic we would have NEVER drafted Hines Ward!! Or don't you remember another little Georgia WR product named..Andre Hastings!! ?



Doh!!!
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
cloppbeast
Team Captain
 
cloppbeast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: A New Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
Ah,,,Do I remember how our last WR from Texas worked out ???And that's your argument against Shipley ? Jesus, if we followed your logic we would have NEVER drafted Hines Ward!! Or don't you remember another little Georgia WR product named..Andre Hastings!! ?



Doh!!!
Settle down a little. I intended the to imply I wasn't being serious. My argument against shipley is that he's only 190 lbs, and he's not much of an athlete. He's kind of slow.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts