Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Receivers not high on Steelers' board

Receivers not high on Steelers' board
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10110/1051842-66.stm

Do not expect the Steelers to change their plans and select a wide receiver in the early rounds of the NFL draft just because they traded Santonio Holmes, their big-play receiver. Not according to Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations.

In fact, it is more likely the Steelers won't draft a wide receiver until they get closer to the round -- fifth -- in which they received a draft choice from the New York Jets for their Super Bowl MVP.

The Steelers do not believe there are many wide receivers who have first- or even second-round value when the NFL draft begins Thursday night. But they think there is good value near the middle rounds to find a receiver to help replace Holmes, who was traded last week because of his off-the-field issues and behavior.

"Offensively, it's good," Colbert said of the draft talent, "but it probably lacks the quantity of marquee players at quarterback, running back and wide receiver. But the overall depth is excellent."

Then he added: "There's good depth at those positions. It's just, in most years, you can look and forecast a high or higher number at those positions. I don't think that's the case this year."
ON THE CLOCK

The PG's preview lineup leading up to the start of the draft:

SATURDAY: What makes a great offensive lineman, a position where the Steelers rarely draft use an early pick, but a position of need for them going into the draft.

SUNDAY: Ed Bouchette takes a look at one of the most unique drafts in 75 years of drafts. Also: A breakdown of the top prospects.

MONDAY: A look back at the 2000 draft -- Kevin Colbert's first -- and how it impacted the team.

TUESDAY: Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert talk about the draft. Join Ed Bouchette for a special NFL draft chat at 1:30 p.m.

WEDNESDAY: A look around the district at the fortunes of the top talent coming out of area colleges.

THURSDAY: Ed Bouchette offers his annual mock draft of the first round. Who will the Steelers take?

In all likelihood, the Steelers will use the top three or even four picks to address the problems and/or depth at cornerback, inside linebacker, guard and defensive line. But, history has shown they have a hard time ignoring a quality skill player if he's on the board, regardless if there is a glaring need at that position.

Nonetheless, they do not appear enamored enough with any of the top receivers in the draft -- Dez Bryant of Oklahoma State, Demaryius Thomas of Georgia Tech and Notre Dame's Golden Tate -- to take them in the first round or even second round.

Instead, they might even wait as long as the fourth round to take a wide receiver such as Emmanuel Sanders of Southern Methodist or Carlton Mitchell of South Florida -- players who visited the Steelers office for predraft interviews.

"It will be interesting," Colbert said Monday at a news conference with coach Mike Tomlin. "Sometimes supply and demand across the league will change that. We're always shocked about some players getting picked where we may not have them evaluated and I'm sure other teams are shocked when we make our picks at times.

"This draft has depth, really everywhere. But for the amount of depth it has, it's unusual you don't have as many [top] players at those positions."

And the trade of Holmes will not change their belief. Or their plans.

"Not really," Colbert said. "It gave us an extra fifth-round pick. Now we have four fifth-rounders with the extra picks and we have to make something out of those picks."

The Steelers already have four wide receivers who are all but assured of making their 53-man roster -- Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle, who was brought in as a special-teams standout. Randle El, who is rejoining the team he left after the 2005 season, and Battle were signed in free agency.

And then there is Limas Sweed, who rejoined his teammates on the practice field Monday for the first day of their voluntary offseason practice. Sweed, a No. 2 pick in 2008, was placed on the non-football-related/reserve list and missed the final three games of the season for undisclosed personal reasons.

He will be brought to training camp and will compete for one of the wide receiver spots.

"I am excited to be back on the field and back in the locker room with my teammates," Sweed said in a statement released Monday. "I appreciate all the support I received from the Steelers organization while I dealt with some personal issues at the end of the 2009 season. I have been working diligently and I am focused on the remainder of the offseason in getting myself prepared to have a great 2010 season."

SATURDAY: What makes a great offensive lineman, a position where the Steelers rarely use an early pick, but a position of need for them going into the draft.

SUNDAY: Ed Bouchette takes a look at one of the most unique drafts in 75 years of drafts. Also: A breakdown of the top prospects.

MONDAY: A look back at the 2000 draft -- Kevin Colbert's first -- and how it impacted the team.

TODAY: Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert talk about the draft.

WEDNESDAY: A look around the district at the fortunes of the top talent coming out of area colleges.

THURSDAY: Ed Bouchette offers his annual mock draft of the first round. Who will the Steelers take?

If you miss any part of the preview package, all the stories can all be found online at

www.post-gazette.com

ON THE CLOCK

The PG's preview lineup leading up to the start of the draft:

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10110...#ixzz0lcBNKYHr
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053
Default Re: Receivers not high on Steelers' board

That article doesn't make any sense cause the WR's he mentioned like Bryant, Benn, Tate have also personally visited the Steelers for Interviews. So I don't know how he can say that a WR won't be taken in like round 2. But we will see.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Receivers not high on Steelers' board
great news, but colbert could be putting up a smoke screen.

please, no WRs in the first 3 rounds
Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
That article doesn't make any sense cause the WR's he mentioned like Bryant, Benn, Tate have also personally visited the Steelers for Interviews. So I don't know how he can say that a WR won't be taken in like round 2. But we will see.
It doesnt mean squat as far as who they bring in for a visit. In recent years only a couple of people who visited did they actually draft...the others they never had for a visit. Just because someone doesnt come in doesnt mean they havent met with that player or anything (combine, pro days, etc) and visa versa...if they visit Pittsburgh...dont mean they will be picked or not. Take visits/etc with a grain of salt...
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,632 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

That is what I was thinking as well a Smoke Screen.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

Please let it be true!!!
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote