Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default What pick for Faneca?

The Jets have reportedly put LG Alan Faneca, DE Shaun Ellis, and OLB Bryan Thomas on the trade block.

According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, the players may all be released after the draft if no takers are found. Though Faneca was voted to the 2009 Pro Bowl (undeservedly, again), he graded out poorly last season as a pass blocker and wasn't a difference maker in the running game. He's also due a $7.5 million base salary going on age 34.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This being said, what pick would you trade for Faneca if any?

I would trade a fifth round pick and I'd give Faneca a 3 year contract (where I can cut him the last year). I would put most of the bonus this year since this is an uncapped year and it won't count next year.

So he wants 8 million per year, give him a 15 million sining bonus then yearly salaries of 3 million per year. Remember that once they do the CBA, the signing bonus won't count against us.

So now I'm wondering wo is currently better Faneca or Kemoatu?

I definitly would not give a 4th round pick. We should have traded Santonio for Faneca stright up. lol
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053
Default Re: What pick for Faneca?

I wouldn't take Faneca back if the JETS gave us a 3rd rounder to do so. He was great at one time. But he was grading out as a average O-Linemen when he was here his last 2 years. And, the Jets are gonna release him anyways, so why deal anything ?
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

One thing I forgot is maybe Kemo can play RG. That would give urbik some time to develop.

So Faneca LG and Kemo RG. If we ended up wit Pouncy, that might be an upgraded line.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
I wouldn't take Faneca back if the JETS gave us a 3rd rounder to do so. He was great at one time. But he was grading out as a average O-Linemen when he was here his last 2 years. And, the Jets are gonna release him anyways, so why deal anything ?
One reason is you would have exclusive rights to him and it might be a little easier to negotiate his salary rather than compete (pricewise) for him. One thing I forgot is Faneca didn't like the zone blocking scheme so he might not be right.

Kemo is a mauler so I like the idea of Faneca, Pouncy and Kemo on the inside. Starks is not that bad.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltreal View Post
Urbik couldnt beat out Foster how much more time does he need?
I'm not going to lie. I'm not high on Urbik. I feel the FO was forced to pick him to shut up the whining fans. All they complained about was drafting O-Line. Once I saw the Senior bowl practices and game, I saw he was no good. Duke Robinson was no good either. So what were they to do ...the fans would have had a heart attack with no OL.

Foster and Essex both looked pretty good to be honest.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
chitownpit
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16129

we could get a 21 year old equal to alan fanica with one of our multitude of mid round picks,even packaging a couple together . with an upside,not a downside . we need to get younger at OL . not older
chitownpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Duds
Water Boy

Member Number: 16115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
The Jets have reportedly put LG Alan Faneca, DE Shaun Ellis, and OLB Bryan Thomas on the trade block.

According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, the players may all be released after the draft if no takers are found. Though Faneca was voted to the 2009 Pro Bowl (undeservedly, again), he graded out poorly last season as a pass blocker and wasn't a difference maker in the running game. He's also due a $7.5 million base salary going on age 34.

I would trade a fifth round pick and I'd give Faneca a 3 year contract (where I can cut him the last year). I would put most of the bonus this year since this is an uncapped year and it won't count next year.

So he wants 8 million per year, give him a 15 million sining bonus then yearly salaries of 3 million per year. Remember that once they do the CBA, the signing bonus won't count against us.

I definitly would not give a 4th round pick. We should have traded Santonio for Faneca stright up. lol
Faneca left on bad terms, he didn't give Zierlein a chance because he was ticked off about Grimm not getting the job...I don't think he would let a young Kugler coach him either. Plus he is past his prime.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post

Steelknight, in my opinion Faneca was Overrated when he was here in Pittsburgh. I hope the Steelers tab either C/G Pouncey from Florida or Iupati from Idaho. If they get Pouncey then he can play Guard til Hartings is finished maybe the 2011 or 2012 season's.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

I wouldn't touch him with a trade. Jets overpaid for him.

I think he was a malcontent and they wouldn't want him back. Vet min if anything.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

None. I don't want him back for all of the reasons already stated.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote