Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
polamalubeast
Starter

Member Number: 16032
Default The five (potentially) worst prime time games on the '10 schedule

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,235532

The hardest part of making an NFL schedule is trying to decide seven months in advance which games will be compelling enough for prime time television. Though the late-season flex scheduling for Sunday Night Football has made things a little better, it's still tough to get a great slate. With that in mind, Shutdown Corner selects the five (potentially) worst prime-time games on the 2010 NFL schedule, which was released Tuesday night. With the exception of Thanksgiving, we've ignored the Thursday night games since those matchups aren't intended to be as marquee as the others.

5. Cincinnati Bengals at New York Jets -- Nov. 25 (Thanksgiving night) -- NFL Network

It wasn't remotely interesting when these two teams played back-to-back in week 17 and the wild card playoff last year. Going in with low expectations might be the best move this time around too.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers at New Orleans Saints -- Oct. 31 (Sunday night) -- NBC

The match-up itself is great, especially with sketchy ol' Ben Roethlisberger(notes) (likely) making his first prime time appearance of the season. But this marks the first time in a while that the NFL has willingly scheduled game opposite the World Series. Throw in the fact that it's Halloween and you have an highly-anticipated game that some fans won't be around to watch.

3. Indianapolis Colts at Washington Redskins -- Oct. 17 (Sunday night) -- NBC

For a team that went 4-12 last year, the Redskins sure did draw a lot of national television exposure. Granted, Donovan McNabb(notes) and Mike Shanahan give the 'Skins playoff aspirations, but consider two things: The team's offensive line is still terrible and it played in four nearly-unwatchable prime time games last season. This could be a good one. Or it could have stinker written all over it.

2. San Francisco 49ers at Arizona Cardinals -- Nov. 29 (Monday night) -- ESPN
There's one every year. Last year it was Miami. The year before, Cleveland. A few years before that, a Michael Vick(notes)-less Falcons squad. With great fanfare, may we present the 2010 winner of the "team that parlayed a decent previous season into way too many primetime appearances the following year" award to the San Francisco 49ers. Somehow this team got three prime time games, one of which has it heading to Arizona to face a Kurt Warner(notes)-less Cardinals team.

1. Tennessee Titans at Jacksonville Jaguars -- Oct. 18 (Monday night) -- ESPN

It's hard to imagine that in the 41-year history of Monday Night Football there have been many games scheduled between two teams that both failed to break .500 the previous season
polamalubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774
Default Re: The five (potentially) worst prime time games on the '10 schedule

Yay football!
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

I'd be watching the Steelers at NO Saints anyway...
steelerohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
4. Pittsburgh Steelers at New Orleans Saints -- Oct. 31 (Sunday night) -- NBC

The match-up itself is great, especially with sketchy ol' Ben Roethlisberger(notes) (likely) making his first prime time appearance of the season. But this marks the first time in a while that the NFL has willingly scheduled game opposite the World Series. Throw in the fact that it's Halloween and you have an highly-anticipated game that some fans won't be around to watch.
As I couldn't give two shits less about baseball, and I haven't gone trick-or-treating since I was 11 years old, I think I'll be watching.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

How are the Steelers-Saints one of the potentially worse?

Two huge fan bases? The last two Super Bowl Champions? Moms will take the kids trick-or-treating and dad will sit at home and watch this game.

I'm going to be 25. I don't trick-or-treat. I don't hand out candy. The game will be on in my house. The game will be on in the house of every Steelers and Saints fan.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
How are the Steelers-Saints one of the potentially worse?

Two huge fan bases? The last two Super Bowl Champions? Moms will take the kids trick-or-treating and dad will sit at home and watch this game.

I'm going to be 25. I don't trick-or-treat. I don't hand out candy. The game will be on in my house. The game will be on in the house of every Steelers and Saints fan.
Essentially it comes down to timing. The timing of this game will cause (to a certain extent) a smaller viewership. That being said...there will still be a rather large viewership due to the fanbases involved.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Essentially it comes down to timing. The timing of this game will cause (to a certain extent) a smaller viewership. That being said...there will still be a rather large viewership due to the fanbases involved.
I bet that this game gets more viewers than the World Series and any other prime-time television shows on at that time combined.

I then want, after the NFL regular season crushes the World Series....for Bud Selig to have a press conference where he relinquishes the title "American Pastime" for baseball and hands it over the the National Football League.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I bet that this game gets more viewers than the World Series and any other prime-time television shows on at that time combined.

I then want, after the NFL regular season crushes the World Series....for Bud Selig to have a press conference where he relinquishes the title "American Pastime" for baseball and hands it over the the National Football League.

You're delusional, you know that right? But only about the Bud Selig part.

I don't know that it will crush the World Series...I think it depends on who's in the WS. If it's Boston/NYY to represent the AL...then it'll have a big viewership...because (like it or not) they have a very very big following. This despite the PIT/NO showdown.

As for any other prime time television shows...that's almost a given. There will be a large portion of people who are either tuned into the WS, NFL or doing the Halloween thing. Even those handing out candy will likely be tuned into to the WS/NFL (I know I'll likely be out with my kids though.)
Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
You're delusional, you know that right? But only about the Bud Selig part.

I don't know that it will crush the World Series...I think it depends on who's in the WS. If it's Boston/NYY to represent the AL...then it'll have a big viewership...because (like it or not) they have a very very big following. This despite the PIT/NO showdown.

As for any other prime time television shows...that's almost a given. There will be a large portion of people who are either tuned into the WS, NFL or doing the Halloween thing. Even those handing out candy will likely be tuned into to the WS/NFL (I know I'll likely be out with my kids though.)
I know that I am delusional. This isn't new news to me or anyone that knows me!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

I think as far as the eastern time goes, the handing out of candies will be done by the time the games comes on...
steelerohio is offline   Reply With Quote