Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #21
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: Sour Grapes From Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Ant
I guess the entire nation is "griping" because there is a thread on every board in America (take a look around, you'll see what I mean) talking about how you guys didn't look like any kind of champs.

Doesn't matter how little dignity you get the win with, just that you get it. Sincerest congrats!!

The only thing that matters is the final score....The great teams are those who find a way to win when they aren't playing great.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #22
bmovierat
Water Boy

Member Number: 1148

Championship caliber teams learn to overcome questionable calls and win. Seattle was unable to do that. Championship caliber teams find a way to win when they are not playing their best game. The Steelers did that Sunday.

Steelers have won pretty, and they won ugly in these playoffs. I'll take it either way.
bmovierat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,298 Times in 3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Ant
I guess the entire nation is "griping" because there is a thread on every board in America (take a look around, you'll see what I mean) talking about how you guys didn't look like any kind of champs.

Doesn't matter how little dignity you get the win with, just that you get it. Sincerest congrats!!
The "entire nation" is not just latte sipping losers from the dreary Northwest.

Assuming you watch ESPN, check out Jim Rome's take on ESPN News on how the Seahawks cannot blame the loss on the refs but on the failure of the Seahawks to play well.

Or, check out Pete Prisco's real time blog on CBS Sportsline (the link is below) on the calls - here are some excerpts:

Updated: Feb/05/2006 07:01 PM
'Hawks strike first but lose TD
Seattle appeared to score the game's first touchdown when Matt Hasselbeck hit Darrell Jackson in the end zone.

But Jackson, who is having a huge day, was called for pushing off Steelers safety Chris Hope.

It was the right call.

Updated: Feb/05/2006 07:47 PM
Luck starting to turn for Pittsburgh
Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.

The Steelers' first scoring drive came courtesy of two pretty lucky plays.

The first play came on third-and-6 from the Pittsburgh 45 when Ben Roethlsiberger was flushed out of the pocket and shoveled a pass forward to Hines Ward for 12 yards and a first down.

The next play came on third-and-28 from the Seattle 40. Flushed out of the pocket, Roethlisberger appeared set to cross the line to try and pick up some yards for a possible first down. He instead stopped, threw across his body to the other side of the field. It appeared Seahawks safety Michael Boulware would intercept the pass but it was caught by Hines Ward for a 37-yard gain to the Seattle 3.

Two plays later, Roethlsiberger ran it in -- just barely -- for a 7-3 Steelers lead. The scoring play was reviewed, but it was rightfully upheld.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/9201354

Large Ant - I know you are upset (ask any Steelers fan what they thought of Neil O'Donnell after the Cowboys loss in SB XXX). But blaming it on a refs conspiracy (the same refs who wanted Indy to win 3 weeks ago?) is a great way to escape dealing with the reality of a devastating loss.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 02-06-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #24
Portland Hawk Fan
Banned

Member Number: 1799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Anyone else catch this statement from Holmgren that I just saw on ESPN News, apparently at a welcome back rally in Seattle today, which I am paraphrasing?

I knew it was going to be tough going against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didn't know we were going against the guys in the striped shirts as well.

Seeing as Holmgren is not a player, my guess is he will be hearing from the league office.

I always thought Holmgren was a class act - not anymore.
You guys got screwed out of one little interception and made a federal case out of it- accusing the NFL of cheating.

Now you pull the sour grapes card after we got screwed out of 21 points?!

Your team is soft- the world knows Seattle won that game.

Stealers*
Portland Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #25
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Hawk Fan
You guys got screwed out of one little interception and made a federal case out of it- accusing the NFL of cheating.

Stealers*

Yeah, the world knows that Seattle won that game.... I bet you make excuses everytime in your life that you don't execute. Just like the Chickenhawks. It's easier to blame someone or something else other than looking at yourself. If your team was so great, they would have overcome all obstacles. Fact is, your team are Pretenders!!! Plain and simple. Alexander was not factor nor was Hasselbeck. And I thought we'd be lucky to put up TWO Toucdowns? With only scoring 10 points, I guess it was Seattle that would have been luck to score TWO. Doesn't matter anyway BITCH!!! Keep cryin and hold on to this since it's all you have in your pathetic life!!!!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #26
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

That idiot chose not to shake the hand of the longest-tenured coach in the NFL following his richly-deserved first Superbowl win. Cowher had given nothing but props to the Seattle organization for the weeks leading up to the big game. Holmgren doing that was classless, inappropriate, and just plain wrong.

I'll never forget it, either.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,298 Times in 3,268 Posts

Quote:

Stealers*
Steelers overcame the calls in the Indy game - your team failed to do so.

Please let me know when Seattle is holding its victory parade or ring presentation ceremony since "the world" knows Seattle won that game - maybe I can tape the ceremonies.

You can order a Terrible Towel to dry your tears.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #28
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Quote:

Stealers*
Well maybe Paul Allen can get some "real" Super Bowl rings made for his team, since they really won that game. This isn't golf. the team with the most point wins.
Bad ref-ing happens, obviously, there were calls that were missed on our part too (block in the back?). It would not have changed the outcome of the game. Get over it. I mean at least you have a classy guy as a coach. Oh wait my bad....he is an *******.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #29
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Oh here we go again, didn't you read the above threads? A few calls here, and tthere. On the OPI call, if he doesn't want to get called, then don't touch the defender. He had no need to. Bens TD was a TD, it did break the plane of the Goal Line. Hasselbecks penalty. Live with it, we had the same call versus the Indy game in lour loss. And not to mention all the holding calls that were not called against the Seahawks, Haggens was bieng held the entire game, also Aaron Smith. Because the OL of the Seahawks could not handle the rush. Not to mention all of the dropped passes by your boy Stevens, and all the over throws by Hasselhoff. And piss poor clock management by Holmgren before halftime. When the Seahawks didn't get nop points from that drive, I knew we were going to win this game.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #30
shevdog
Team Captain

Member Number: 120

If I was in Holmgren's shoes, I'd probably saw the same thing. He could have said worse. I'm sure if the situtation was flipped, we'd be crying foul, as we have (for very valid reasons) as playoffs long.

Yet... I'd expect more from Holmgren. At least he gave his props to the Steelers, after getting the toughest loss in sports. Holmgren, you have won with the legendary Green Bay, so no pity from me.

Steelers Football: Simply the Best!
shevdog is offline   Reply With Quote