Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #51
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Sour Grapes From Holmgren

Holmgren and Lewis would make a cute couple.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #52
CASTEEL
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHawk
Every site I have went to, no joke, I am worried because a majority are pissed at a level I never have seen. This still doesn't change the fact that you guys won fair and square and I am worried about what this could mean. I hope it dies down even though I believe officiating needs to be changed.
In the end I don't think it will mean a thing. There is alot of emotion flying around and it is still only one day after the game. I think this will die down in a week or two.

I too agree that the officiating needs to be changed....how could anyone not.

That being said, I still don't think that the game was officiated poorly except for the call on Hassleback (which was actually a penatly that was called on the Steelers against Indi the first time we played 'em) which may have been a bad call......other than that......what was so bad???

I keep hearing that the officals shouldn't change the outcome of the game with their calls......WEll, WTF are they suppose to do with PI call in the endzone, give 'em the touchdown and assess the penatly on the kickoff???

The touchdown by Ben was a touchdown. PERIOD.

The holding call was a HOLD... look at it......the Seahawk player (sorry can't recall his name) totally changed the direction of the defender by grabbing his right shoulder and PULLING him around........ how can anyone not see that???

I thank you for agreeing that the Steelers won that game fair and square....now just look at the officiating of that game and really ask yourself where it was bad??? Seriously watch that game again, knowing the outcome, letting your emotions not play a hand, and see where all of the bad calls were. There will be only one ( sounds like a line from a bad action flick).......

The worst thing about that game was the play of the Steelers in the first half...and the play of the Seahawks in the second half!

ONE FOR THE THUMB.....DONE!!!

Last edited by CASTEEL; 02-07-2006 at 12:57 AM.
CASTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #53
bozz723
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1132

I WATCHED THE GAME AGAIN TODAY, AND HOLMGREN DIDNT MEET WITH COWHER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD AFTER THE GAME.

Cowher was so pissed his jaw was jutting out and all I heard was "wheres Mike ?" and other officlas saying "Wheres Holmgren?"

If you have the game recorded watch the end and see what I saw.

What a classless loser, that is all there is to be said.
bozz723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:12 AM   #54
Kaish15
Water Boy

Member Number: 1840

I see it this way,

Holmgren had to address the Seahawk fans and what is easier to say? "I'm sorry we didn't play our best game and let you, the fans down" OR "Well fans, it's the refs fault we lost." He looks good in the eyes of Hawk fans and that's all that matters right?

And if he really did not met with Cowher after the game that is a new sign of poor sportsmanship. Did he met with any Steelers?
Kaish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:32 AM   #55
GX624
Water Boy

Member Number: 1615

Holmgren has made it a habit of blaming the officials and eluding to conspiracy and "phantom" calls.

Here's an article from the Seattle Post from LAST YEAR!
"Seahawks incur wrath of the zebras" -- 1/9/2005

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/footba...0_hside09.html

"...regularly hurt at inopportune moments..."

"...and big penalties in a game of this magnitude, that is a little unusual for us," head coach Mike Holmgren said. "That usually doesn't happen. Not only were there penalties, but also when the penalties came."

Sound familiar?

Come on, Coach! How about just this once you own up?
GX624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:35 AM   #56
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Hawk Fan
ONE call on an interception- and I admit it was HUGE and I was OUTRAGED.

Now, where's your similar outrage over FIVE huge calls that went against Seattle?!

Hsselbeck personal foul for trying to tackle a player?!?!?!?! Two phantom calls that would have resulted in TDs?!?!?!?!?! BS calls on Special Teams returns?!?!

This was NOTHING like the ONE CALL you folks had to wrongly endure in Indi. And the WORST that resulted in was them to have a SHOT at OT. We were f-ed the ENTIRE FINBG GAME!!!

WTF?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't care- the world knows the Stealers* are a sham- even girls watching the Super Bowl know the Seahawks kicked you punks all over the field.

Admit we're the better, more physical team and I'll stop.
Yeah, it was the officials who screwed up the last two minutes of the first half. I've seen better time management from a high school football team. It was the officials fault that Stevens didn't know the out-of-bounds rule on the last Seahawks drive of the game. It was the officials that threw the interception to Ike Taylor, the Officials that sacked Hasselbeck through 'the best offisive line in the NFL' three times, the officials that made Stevens play like his hands were putty and the officials that put the hole you could drive a 16-wheeler through your defensive line for the Parker TD, the Officials that sent your secondary to the wrong side of the field for the Randle El/Hines Ward touchdown, the officials that ensured your choker kicker sent the ball wide of the posts twice.

If it helps you cope with the big bad world of the NFL, you blame it on the officials.

Last edited by BritishSteel; 02-07-2006 at 02:38 AM.
BritishSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:11 AM   #57
ZornToLargent
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Anyone else catch this statement from Holmgren that I just saw on ESPN News, apparently at a welcome back rally in Seattle today, which I am paraphrasing?

I knew it was going to be tough going against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didn't know we were going against the guys in the striped shirts as well.

Seeing as Holmgren is not a player, my guess is he will be hearing from the league office.

I always thought Holmgren was a class act - not anymore.
I think what Holmgren said had just as much "class" as what the Steelers players said after the Colts game. The facts are, the refs in the NFL are the classless ones here having part-timers referee the NFL. Everyone, throughout the regular season year and the playoffs/Super Bowl, were justified in criticizing the so-called "officials" of the games.
ZornToLargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:36 AM   #58
Mamaduck43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 592

I agree with the Seattle fans that the officiating helped the Steelers win - - - think about it..... Holmgrem was so preoccupied with harping on the Ben touchdown that he totally messed up his time management.... We were sitting here watching and thinking, "What the h*ll is he doing???" I have never seen such an amateurish job of coaching in my life..... If he had been concentrating on his job as coach, the game might have gone differently....

Yes, there were a couple of calls that went against Seattle - - there were many other calls that could have been made for or against both teams..... But, you gotta live with and deal with the reality of what is happening on the field.... If you cannot keep your team focused on the end result, you end up losing the game.....

And all the talk about the Indy game - - the interception call was only one of many - - the biggest of which was the infamous 'do over' when 4 or 5 Colts ran across the line of scrimmage as a result of what was probably a Fanaca 'flinch', but since the zebras didn't see the flinch, they called nothing and negated any infraction at all - - - - hey, half their team had crossed the line..... Something is wrong here..... The Cowher jaw may have jutted out a bit more as a result of those calls, but he didn't bellyache about them.... He just kept the team focusing on the game.......

Holmgrem deserves alot of the blame for the loss..... He had the game handed to him on a platter several times, but he was too dang busy grumbling, he missed his chance...... And our wonderful blue collar team from the wonderful blue collar city went home with the rings.......

What really makes me mad is that all of the crap that has been going on. Every talking head that just likes to hear his own voice is running at the mouth with drivel, and every idiot who watches one or two games a year, believes everything that those Steelers haters spouts off about.......

I was involved in coaching competitive swimming for over 30 years..... It is a humbling experience to go up to the opposing coach at the end of a meet to offer congratulations.... Win or lose, it is something that must be done and must be done graciously..... If Holmgrens snub is any indication of his level of sportsmanship, it is no wonder that his fans have not learned how to act.... His players (most of them) are a class act, but I have lost respect for him..... He is classless..... He messed up, and has to point fingers at anyone but himself..... I hope he can sleep without a constant rerun of how he screwed up running through his mind....

Congratulations to the Steelers, the coaches, the Front office and to our fans.... It was beautiful to see the sea of Black and Gold at Ford Field..... Fantastic!!!!
Mamaduck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #59
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,237 Times in 3,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZornToLargent
I think what Holmgren said had just as much "class" as what the Steelers players said after the Colts game. The facts are, the refs in the NFL are the classless ones here having part-timers referee the NFL. Everyone, throughout the regular season year and the playoffs/Super Bowl, were justified in criticizing the so-called "officials" of the games.
Holmgren is not a player, he is the head coach.

If you check the quotes after the Colts game, you will note that Cowher specifically stated he was not going to dump on the refs.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:21 AM   #60
thumb 2 come
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZornToLargent
Huge difference from a player spouting off to a head coach doing it.
If you look Cowher after the Indy game actually praised the refs a little and said he was glad he didn't have to do their job.