Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default So what's wrong with Dennis Dixon?

He showed us last year that he has the talent to play in this league. I think it's time he was givien a chance to show if he can star....

thoughts?
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: So what's wrong with Dennis Dixon?

Not a franchise QB? basically a solid back up
Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
steeldawg
Starter

Member Number: 13605

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
He showed us last year that he has the talent to play in this league. I think it's time he was givien a chance to show if he can star....

thoughts?
Well hes got one game under his belt. I mean i hope he starts over leftwitch but having him start is nothing to celebrate.
steeldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

I want him to get his feet wet before people as well as i begin to judge the man! I hope he does great because I want another SB this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
steeldawg
Starter

Member Number: 13605

You know what scenario would be real interesting if dixon goes 4-0 and then its time for ben to come back what will tomlin do?
steeldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
You know what scenario would be real interesting if dixon goes 4-0 and then its time for ben to come back what will tomlin do?
Exactly what I was thinking....lol....but thats if Dixon plays FLAWLESSLY those 4 wins because if he plays average and the D wins those games...then Tomlin would put Big Ben back immediately!!!
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Found this on ESPN about Dixon...

With Ben Roethlisberger expected to be suspended for the first four to six games of the 2010 season, the quarterback job will likely belong to Dennis Dixon. However, the re-signing of Charlie Batch does provide further insurance in case the youngster is not up to the task. And, most recently, the Steelers traded a late pick to bring Byron Leftwich back to Pittsburgh.

What does Dixon bring to the table? If Dixon had not injured his knee during his senior year at Oregon, he probably would have been drafted in the second or third round and viewed as a potential starter in this league. But because of the injury, the Steelers were able to acquire him later, in the fifth round, and more or less redshirt him as he learned. This will be his third NFL season and he should have a pretty strong feel for his teammates and the offensive system that Pittsburgh runs.

What you notice right away is Dixon’s exceptional athletic ability. He is a true threat as a runner and can make a lot of plays -- designed or not -- with the ball in his hands. He is an effective passer on the run in rollout-type situations and has a strong enough arm that he can make most throws asked of him even when his feet are not set. In limited views, Dixon also has shown that he is not haphazard in his decision-making and understands that forcing a throw is rarely the correct decision.

Another thing that stands out with Dixon is his poise. Going back to his college days, he plays the game at a nice pace, is tough to rattle and it never seemed as though the game was too big for him. Many young quarterbacks are unable to slow down the game as Dixon does.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

He reminds me of Joe Gilliam in a way too...
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
Pretty close to the trade deadline if I recall correctly.

I'm interested to see what Dixon can do. If he's able to read defenses and make some good decisions, he could be good.

A lot of press is made about his athleticism. Hopefully we can all recall that you don't build a QB based on scrambling.

The mental side of the game is where BB leaves room for improvement IMO. He has fantastic physical ability and has simply epic ability to put the team on his back. I do wonder if he was better at reading defenses etc would so many plays go "playground".