Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832
Default My Mock Draft

Last second but better late than never. The first thing you should look at when you evaluate my picks are the players that were on the board when I made my picks for the Steelers. That can be found in my entire seven round mock here

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/...6751188&lid=47

My picks are as follows.

1. Terrence Cody/NT Alabama
Yes, from a pure projection standpoint, this is a bit of a reach. But his drop in value seems a little unfair now. He was a mid-first rounder before the Senior Bowl. It was only when he showed up there at 370 did concern brew and his stock started to drop. While this is a legitimate concern, he was down to 354 at the Combine and 346 and Alabama's Pro Day. He came into Alabama at over 400 pounds and managed to drop the weight. There really haven't been many big weight issues with the kid. Sure, he's big, but give him a personal trainer, a dietitian, whoever, and you can control his weight and also improve his stamina. It's extremely rare that a guy like Cody comes along and I can't pass up the chance of getting him. It is also possible, and even a better idea, to try and trade down to around 20-25 (But before the Jets and the Chargers, just in case) and take him then.

***Side note*** I would like us to trade back to around 24-25 (Maybe if Dez Bryant falls or if Earl Thomas were to slip? If a team wants to try to get Pouncey or some OT that dropped?) to get Cody. I don't however have a trade based off of that since I didn't do trades in my full mock.

2. Brandon LaFell/WR LSU
As I stated, he is a good route runner with a lot of experience. From what I saw, he also seems like a down-to-earth guy and also a very willing run blocker. I'm not really big on Randle El, he certainly won't be the same guy he was in 2005, and Sweed's concerns are well documented. I do like Arnaz Battle a lot, but as a special teamer and all around good guy rather than an actual receiver. And yes, I do wonder about Ward. Two years ago, we were all talking about his health and it looked as if his knees were about ready to give out. While he had a great year last season and did take steps to keep him fresh (Limited in practice, slept in a hyperbaric chamber) those concerns from two years ago aren't going to magically go away. He's getting older, not younger. I love him to death, appreciate everything he's done for us (Aside from holding out, not cool), but we have to be realistic about him.

3. Kam Chancellor/FS Virginia Tech
I didn't get to watch a lot of guys in the secondary too closely this year. Just too tough to do. I did, however, get a good look at him a couple different occassions. He's got really good size, is a solid tackler (Very key in LeBeau's defense) and while isn't a 4.4 type guy, does show good closing speed. Ryan Clark's deal looked to be a bit frontloaded and getting extra depth at safety is pretty important.

4. Syd'Quan Thompson/CB Cal
Another guy I got to watch a little bit of. Smaller, quick type of corner, pretty common mold for our defense, who has a knack for the ball and closes quickly. I don't see the need for us taking a corner too high because in this passive, zone scheme we run with our corners, we don't need to take 4.4, press coverage, man up and shut down type of guys. Sure, they're a great luxury to have, go ahead and give Revis a Steelers jersey, no complaints from me, but we don't need to do it. Consider this. Since 1979, we've only drafted two cornerbacks in the 1st round: Rod Woodson and Chad Scott.

5. EJ Wilson/DE North Carolina

The guy has a crazy amount of starting experience, something like three solid seasons, and looks to fit in well at defensive end. As I said in the orginal write up, Kiesel, Eason, and Smith are all into their 30s. Elaborating on the Smith comment. I realize that Tomlin has said Smith's recovery has gone well so far. But I'm noy fully convinced; it could be a bit of a smokescreen to not give anything away if he isn't going as well as hoped. And even if he is, the guy has suffered a couple of big injuries. In the past three years, he's torn his triceps and his rotator cuff to his right arm. With the mileage he has and how physically demanding a five technique is, always crashing into the guards or tackles, that takes a toll on you. Look, I hope Smith gets back healthy. Like Ward, I appreciate what he's done. But also like Ward, you gotta realize when a guy is showing signs of slowing down. For whatever it's worth, we're also set to pay him $5 million in base salary.

5. Nolan Carroll/CB Maryland

This is a guy who we have shown a good amount of interest in. Don't know much about the guy, but he has good size (5'10, 200+) and good speed. He is coming off a broken leg, which is a concern, but he ran a 4.39 at his Pro Day. That is at the very least encouraging.

5. Daniel Te'O Nesham/OLB Washington

He'll attempt to convert from DE to OLB. They were highliight films so they can't be completely trusted, but he looked really good on the couple that are floating around the internet or on Washington's page. He's the all-time sack leader for the Huskies, and trying another project is less riskier in the 5th than it is in the 3rd (see Bruce Davis).

5. Roy Upchurch/RB Alabama

Another guy that might be a bit of a reach but hey, we reached on Frank Summers last year because we liked him so much. Upchurch wav overshadowed by guys like Trent Richardson and Mark Ingram, but played in a pro offense, is a good blocker, and will have a better pro career than a college one.

6. Mike McLaughlin/ILB Boston College

More linebacker depth. Sounds like a tough, hard-nosed guy who as I stated, had enough respect from his teammates to be voted captian the past two years. Hopefully he works out better than Mike Humpal.

7. Tony Moekai/TE Iowa

He sounds like a little bit of everything with some upside. Decent reciever, and a decent blocker who learned under Kirk Ferentz where a lot of in-line blocking is asked from his TEs. Like pretty much everyone else, not real big on Spaeth. Yeah, his blocking improved a little bit last year, but to me, he's nothing more than a big body that can't do much with it. Those are a dime a dozen and his limited playing time and the extra PT David Johnson got is an example of that.

I know I'm going to, and already have elsewhere, going to get killed for this but here is my explanation for why I didn't have us take a lineman.

There isn't a reason to grab a mid-round guard or center. A guy that will be on the bubble to compete for one of the backup jobs. We already have a ton of those guys. Legursky, Urbik, Essex, Foster. Adding another guy to that mix just doesn't make a lot of sense. If you can't get a top flight guy, then don't get one at all. Adding an average guy to an average group isn't going to make you any better. Besides, it'll be tough to beat out Legursky or Foster because of their versatility and you know we always keep one UDFA lineman. Legursky, Foster, and Stapleton, are all examples of that. I understand the need for an upgrade at RG or C, and if Jon Asamoah would have fell to us, I would have taken him. But he didn't and I wasn't going to reach for just an average guard.

*I would be fine if we took Pouncey at 18. He would be my second choice.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Re: My Mock Draft

I can't see us passing on Trent Williams or Pouncey in the first for Cody.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Chidi29
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
I can't see us passing on Trent Williams or Pouncey in the first for Cody.
Not a fan of Williams and I think we're set at tackle.

Pouncey is more debatable but Cody has the higher ceiling at a more important position. But like I said, Pouncey would be my second choice.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

I like that mock draft. 1st draft I have seen that focuses on the DL
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
Not a fan of Williams and I think we're set at tackle.

Pouncey is more debatable but Cody has the higher ceiling at a more important position. But like I said, Pouncey would be my second choice.
My concern with tackle is Colon is only on a one year deal and I've never been sold on Starks as a premire tackle (well on the left side anyway).
Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Chidi29
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
My concern with tackle is Colon is only on a one year deal and I've never been sold on Starks as a premire tackle (well on the left side anyway).
I think Colon will get re-signed. We've been pretty good about getting guys extension even when it seemed certain that it wasn't going to happen. I thought for sure Clark would be sporting a Dolphins' uniform and that Casey would get the tag. If Colon plays the way he did last year, he'll get a long-term deal.

I don't consider Starks to be elite, but he did show improvement over the season. Plus, he is under contract for the next three seasons. Often times, when you draft a lineman in the first, you want to start him ASAP.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Goofy

I don't think I like any of the picks...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Chidi29
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I don't think I like any of the picks...
Care to explain?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
ggoldman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14758

we can package a 3rd, 5th, and 7th for a 2nd rounder
ggoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #10
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Every Mock Draft I have seen has Cody going in the early 2nd round and Brandon Lafell going in the 3rd. Not sure the Steelers can reach at either position with more pressing needs at Cornerback I still can't believe all we have on the Roster right now at Right Corner is Willie Gay, Keenan Lewis, and Joe Burnett. We are in serious trouble at that position. We need a sure fire hit at cornerback more then any position on this team. To even wait to the 2nd round is dangerous in my opinion that we can find a starter right away.

Would love Cody and Lafell in the 2nd and 3rd rounds though.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote