Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 105,256
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 1,392
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default What happened

This was a weird draft for me how in the world Bulaga fall all the way to 23 and I don't think they was one mock draft having him fall out of the top ten. Was they something I missed or did his stock just drop.

Tim Tebow was another one having him go ahead of Clausen I don't think no one saw that one a coming. Clausen even fall out of the first round I think that Denver made a mistake with this pick and it will come back to haunt them in my opinion.

Maybe it is just me but I think some teams went crazy in this draft but it happens every year.
__________________
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: What happened

The last few years the trade value chart hasnt meant much.

Certain teams go hard after their man to ensure that they arent lost ( the take no chances approach eg. Jacksonsville - Alualu Chargers - Matthews)

Other teams just want to trade down and stockpile picks ( Pats)

I think it shows that there is no one correct philosophy and each GM is strong enough to stick to their own game plans.

Diehard steeler fans will scream blue murder that Maurkice Pouncey was picked ten positions too early. I say if you get your #1 man then why not be happy. Are we about saving money or winning football games?
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: What happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
This was a weird draft for me how in the world Bulaga fall all the way to 23 and I don't think they was one mock draft having him fall out of the top ten. Was they something I missed or did his stock just drop.

Tim Tebow was another one having him go ahead of Clausen I don't think no one saw that one a coming. Clausen even fall out of the first round I think that Denver made a mistake with this pick and it will come back to haunt them in my opinion.

Maybe it is just me but I think some teams went crazy in this draft but it happens every year.
The Jacksonville pick baffles me. Alualu is by no means a top 10 talent...he could have been had at the end of the first to early 2nd round.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: What happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

Diehard steeler fans will scream blue murder that Maurkice Pouncey was picked ten positions too early. I say if you get your #1 man then why not be happy. Are we about saving money or winning football games?
I think you are spot on.... I had us drafting an OC later (so i thought it was a team need) but I had Pouncy as a late 1st round pick and thought that we should trade down if we wanted him. That being said, I believe that he will be a very good player and upgrades the position for us.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 105,256
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 1,392
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: What happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
The Jacksonville pick baffles me. Alualu is by no means a top 10 talent...he could have been had at the end of the first to early 2nd round.
That blows my mind to, you have a team that does that every year. Jacksonville really went overboard with that one like you said they could have waited longer and got him. In my opinion it was a stupid move but I guess that is why they get the big bucks.
__________________
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: What happened

I am guessing you have just started to get into some draft news like me. When I finished work the draft had been finished for about 5 hours.

When scrolling down the draft tracker I was stunned to see Alualu go at 10 to the jags. I was happy to see McClain go to the raiders as it is about time they made a serious and sensible pick.

The trade up to get Matthews at #12 by the chargers was reminiscent of the Jags mad trade up to get a DE ( groves i think) a couple of drafts ago.

As I thought Iupati would go one spot before us. I am very happy about the Pouncey pick. It is a safe pick, too safe for some, but I think it should potentially reap the rewards for a long time to come.

Clausen is a real stunner. I am guessing his west coast attitude must have really scared some teams off.

Great show of balls by buffalo to take Spiller.

How good did the 49ers O Line just get with Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati WOW.
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: What happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I am guessing you have just started to get into some draft news like me. When I finished work the draft had been finished for about 5 hours.

When scrolling down the draft tracker I was stunned to see Alualu go at 10 to the jags. I was happy to see McClain go to the raiders as it is about time they made a serious and sensible pick.

The trade up to get Matthews at #12 by the chargers was reminiscent of the Jags mad trade up to get a DE ( groves i think) a couple of drafts ago.

As I thought Iupati would go one spot before us. I am very happy about the Pouncey pick. It is a safe pick, too safe for some, but I think it should potentially reap the rewards for a long time to come.

Clausen is a real stunner. I am guessing his west coast attitude must have really scared some teams off.

Great show of balls by buffalo to take Spiller.

How good did the 49ers O Line just get with Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati WOW.
I think the Chargers knew that they had to leapfrog the Texans to get Matthews. I have to wonder if we couldnt have traded down with the Chargers...they could have still got Mmatthews...and we could have still got Pouncey plus a pick.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,474
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 969
Thanked 4,306 Times in 1,829 Posts
Default Re: What happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I think the Chargers knew that they had to leapfrog the Texans to get Matthews. I have to wonder if we couldnt have traded down with the Chargers...they could have still got Mmatthews...and we could have still got Pouncey plus a pick.
i believe i heard them say the falcons may have had pouncey on thier radar. they had him in for a visit last week.
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
mulldog24
Starter
 
mulldog24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Member Number: 13119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What happened

How about the Jets secondary now!!!? Revis, K. Wilson and Cromartie. I really thought that the Jets were gonna take Odrick(sp).....wild 1st rd.

Last edited by mulldog24; 04-23-2010 at 10:00 AM.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
taztroy43
Bench Warmer
 
taztroy43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 368
Member Number: 13325
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I think the Chargers knew that they had to leapfrog the Texans to get Matthews. I have to wonder if we couldnt have traded down with the Chargers...they could have still got Mmatthews...and we could have still got Pouncey plus a pick.
The reason that the Chargers leapfrogged to #12 is because the Seahawks(with Spiller gone) were probably going to take Mathews @ #14!!! So that's why the Chargers were so desperate to get up that high....If they would of waited, Mathews would of been Gone!
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts