Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default What Will the Steelers Do on Draft Day Two?

What Will the Steelers Do on Draft Day Two?
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...raft#storyjump
by maryrose on Apr 23, 2010 12:05 PM EDT Comment 0 comments

The Steelers have to 20th pick in Round Two. Being on a separate day, this allows us to take a breath and recalibrate the board. Maurkice Pouncey was a great pick yesterday. Many wanted the cornerback, but I agree with Blitz. Why are we taking guys like Kennan Lewis and Joe Burnett if they don't get a chance? We can't keep chasing our tail and drafting guys to replace guys we just drafted. The team would never improve. On the continuum of "Need vs. BPA," we all fall on that line in scattered places. We've had this debate many times.

My own philosophy is that you take need as long as you do not sacrifice quality. That is exactly what the Steelers did yesterday. The offensive line had been the unit most neglected by top draft choices in the recent decade, and it showed. Pouncey is a need who happens to be very high quality. Scouts Inc. gives him a 93 grading. Whether you put stock in their system or not, they know a helluva lot more than I, so I respect their system until proven otherwise. When the Steelers picked 18th, the only grade higher on the board was a 94, so in my book, grab the 93 center.

The key, of course, is to have a very good batting average on these round 2-3 guys. As great as Kevin Colbert has been with first round gems, I am not so sure about his batting average on rounds 2-3. Another thing to keep in mind: Art Rooney made a comment many months ago that will soon come into play. He said that the Steelers must do a better job of getting their young guys into the game sooner. That was music to my ears. I always wondered why all these guys on other teams got thrown into the fire quickly, while Pittsburgh players needed two and three years of apprenticeship, but I digress. To the point, Rooney's statement increases the urgency of the 2-3 guys being quality, ready-quality.

Back to the future, today is a critical day for the Steelers to land two players who will have impact in the not-so-distant future, not taxi guys we are still calling young three years from now. Here are the top 25 players on the board. This will cover our second-round pick. What are your thoughts?

Quarterback
(will eat up two of the 19 spots in front of us)

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (some, like Mel Kiper, considered him the best)

Colt McCoy (I think our friends in Cleveland will get him)

Running Back

Toby Gerhart (tough power runner Pittsburgher's love)

Dexter McCluster (the Anti-Gerhart, jitterbug Sproles type who makes defenders miss)

Wide Receiver

Arrelious Benn, Illinois (all-around quality, strong, but nothing that stands out)

Golden Tate, Notre Dame (wants the ball over the middle and is great with yards after catch)

Taylor Price, Ohio (from the MAC, but polished and had a great Senior Bowl)

Damian Williams, Southern Cal (Ready right now, from top program)

Offensive tackle

Rodger Saffold, Indiana (big, strong, athletic, second-team Big Ten)

Charles Brown, Southern Cal (best blocker in the Pac-10, might go high in Round Two)

Offensive Guard

Jon Asamoah, Illinois (third-rated guard on the entire board, underrated)

Vladimor Ducasse, Massachusetts (6-5, 332 can also play tackle, brings versatility)

Defensive Tackle

Lamarr Houston, Texas (one of those hybrid guys who played DT, DE and OLB in college)

Linval Joseph, East Carolina (strong as a bull, can play nose at 6-5, 328)

Brian Price, UCLA (small, but strong, quick and athletic, always in the backfield at UCLA,)

Terrance Cody, Alabama (huge at 6-4, 350, but stock has been dropping for some reason)

Defensive End

Everson Griffen, Southern Cal (still growing and learning, could have gone yesterday)

Inside Linebacker

Sean Lee, Penn State (instinctive, typical Penn State smart, always near the ball, tough)

Brandon Spikes, Florida (stock dropped with slowness at 5.05, but a really good football player)

Outside Linebacker

Sergio Kindle, Texas (best-rated guy still on board, sack-machine with off-field issues)

Koa Misi, Utah (smart kid who could back Harrison or Woodley)

Cornerback

Chris Cook, Virginia (Good size, good speed, good instincts, love this guy)

Jerome Murphy, South Florida (big hitter, Keenan Lewis type)

Safety

Nate Allen, South Florida (outstanding cover man, very teachable)

Taylor Mays, Southern Cal (most athletic talent in the draft, but never taught to cover anybody at USC)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Cinnjerm
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15785
Default Re: What Will the Steelers Do on Draft Day Two?

I'm pulling for Tate, but that's just me.
Cinnjerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Trade all other picks to move up, Grab TATE and GERHART and head into the Pre-Season with that Roster.

Done.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

i want tate real bad. will it happen? probably not
Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
What Will the Steelers Do on Draft Day Two?
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...raft#storyjump
by maryrose on Apr 23, 2010 12:05 PM EDT Comment 0 comments

The Steelers have to 20th pick in Round Two. Being on a separate day, this allows us to take a breath and recalibrate the board. Maurkice Pouncey was a great pick yesterday. Many wanted the cornerback, but I agree with Blitz. Why are we taking guys like Kennan Lewis and Joe Burnett if they don't get a chance? We can't keep chasing our tail and drafting guys to replace guys we just drafted. The team would never improve. On the continuum of "Need vs. BPA," we all fall on that line in scattered places. We've had this debate many times.

My own philosophy is that you take need as long as you do not sacrifice quality. That is exactly what the Steelers did yesterday. The offensive line had been the unit most neglected by top draft choices in the recent decade, and it showed. Pouncey is a need who happens to be very high quality. Scouts Inc. gives him a 93 grading. Whether you put stock in their system or not, they know a helluva lot more than I, so I respect their system until proven otherwise. When the Steelers picked 18th, the only grade higher on the board was a 94, so in my book, grab the 93 center.

The key, of course, is to have a very good batting average on these round 2-3 guys. As great as Kevin Colbert has been with first round gems, I am not so sure about his batting average on rounds 2-3. Another thing to keep in mind: Art Rooney made a comment many months ago that will soon come into play. He said that the Steelers must do a better job of getting their young guys into the game sooner. That was music to my ears. I always wondered why all these guys on other teams got thrown into the fire quickly, while Pittsburgh players needed two and three years of apprenticeship, but I digress. To the point, Rooney's statement increases the urgency of the 2-3 guys being quality, ready-quality.

Back to the future, today is a critical day for the Steelers to land two players who will have impact in the not-so-distant future, not taxi guys we are still calling young three years from now. Here are the top 25 players on the board. This will cover our second-round pick. What are your thoughts?

Quarterback
(will eat up two of the 19 spots in front of us)

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (some, like Mel Kiper, considered him the best)

Colt McCoy (I think our friends in Cleveland will get him)

Running Back

Toby Gerhart (tough power runner Pittsburgher's love)

Dexter McCluster (the Anti-Gerhart, jitterbug Sproles type who makes defenders miss)

Wide Receiver

Arrelious Benn, Illinois (all-around quality, strong, but nothing that stands out)

Golden Tate, Notre Dame (wants the ball over the middle and is great with yards after catch)

Taylor Price, Ohio (from the MAC, but polished and had a great Senior Bowl)

Damian Williams, Southern Cal (Ready right now, from top program)

Offensive tackle

Rodger Saffold, Indiana (big, strong, athletic, second-team Big Ten)

Charles Brown, Southern Cal (best blocker in the Pac-10, might go high in Round Two)

Offensive Guard

Jon Asamoah, Illinois (third-rated guard on the entire board, underrated)

Vladimor Ducasse, Massachusetts (6-5, 332 can also play tackle, brings versatility)

Defensive Tackle

Lamarr Houston, Texas (one of those hybrid guys who played DT, DE and OLB in college)

Linval Joseph, East Carolina (strong as a bull, can play nose at 6-5, 328)

Brian Price, UCLA (small, but strong, quick and athletic, always in the backfield at UCLA,)

Terrance Cody, Alabama (huge at 6-4, 350, but stock has been dropping for some reason)

Defensive End

Everson Griffen, Southern Cal (still growing and learning, could have gone yesterday)

Inside Linebacker

Sean Lee, Penn State (instinctive, typical Penn State smart, always near the ball, tough)

Brandon Spikes, Florida (stock dropped with slowness at 5.05, but a really good football player)

Outside Linebacker

Sergio Kindle, Texas (best-rated guy still on board, sack-machine with off-field issues)

Koa Misi, Utah (smart kid who could back Harrison or Woodley)

Cornerback

Chris Cook, Virginia (Good size, good speed, good instincts, love this guy)

Jerome Murphy, South Florida (big hitter, Keenan Lewis type)

Safety

Nate Allen, South Florida (outstanding cover man, very teachable)

Taylor Mays, Southern Cal (most athletic talent in the draft, but never taught to cover anybody at USC)
Well thought out post, thank you
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

Agree that was a damn good post. I suppose we can't go wrong no matter which position we draft as this draft is very deep. But I still want the CB position addressed today.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,133 Times in 468 Posts

Gerhart and Tate would make this draft a success by round 4. Must land these two, whatever it takes, or atleast one.

IMO, I'd rather have Gerhart than anyone.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

no need for a RB, QB, WR, K, P, C/G or TE on day 2.

IMO, they should look at DL, LB, DB
Old 04-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Mags87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12016

id love to see a big power back in black and gold again. that being said, id also love to see one of those top notch D lineman get picked up by us too. Smith and Keisel arent getting any younger.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I say use our regular pick on Gerhardt or a LB. Then trade some of our 100 garbage picks who there's no room for on the roster to get another second-rounder, and use that on Terrance Cody.

Yeah, I know we'd be taking a chance on the big fatso. But the way I see it, Cody gives us a 50-50 chance of solving our NT issue for the long term, and if not, oh well - most of those late-rounders were going to go to waste anyway because we had no space for them.

I do not think we'll take a WR or a DB, because our roster is overflowing with them already. Granted, not overflowing with outstanding WRs and DBs, but we have enough that we'd either have to cut someone decent or cut someone we still like as a prospect. Only way I see this happening is if someone awesome (like Tate) falls within reach and we work out a deal to trade one of the existing WRs on our roster, either now or soon. Otherwise we just have too many.