Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Day 2 thoughts

Day 2 thoughts
F. Dale Lolley, the Observer-Reporter's veteran Steelers beat reporter, provides an inside view for Pittsburgh and the rest of the National Football League.
http://www.observer-reporter.com/www...nes/index.html

After passing on selecting a defensive back on day two of the draft, we can only assume the Steelers are happy to let things ride with their current group. (Happy with the current group?! I pray that Troy doesn't get injured again because if he does it's going to be a very long season. - mesa)

The Steelers apparently feel that second-year players Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett are ready to make a big impact in 2010.

I did find out that there was a great deal of discussion in the second round prior to the team selecting Jason Worilds. Some in the room wanted Penn State's Sean Lee, who was still available.

But it was decided the depth at inside linebacker - where Larry Foote and Keyaron Fox back up Lawrence Timmons and James Farrior - was good enough. They needed an OLB behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

And head coach Mike Tomlin loved Worilds. Lee went three picks later to Dallas.

In round three, the Steelers were looking hard at safety Major Wright, but he went seven picks ahead of them to Chicago.

So they decided to instead go for a receiver they see as the heir apparent to Hines Ward, SMU's Emmanuel Sanders.

Jason Worilds

The Jason Worilds pick in the second round was a bit of a surprise, but only because he was a guy who flew under the radar when it came to the team.

Nobody had been talking about this guy.

But Worilds is a solid pass rusher who will play outside linebacker for the Steelers providing depth right away - and perhaps more importantly, solid special teams play.

Perhaps the Steelers had bigger needs, but when you consider that the top backup at outside linebacker is Lawrence Timmons, it kind of makes sense.

It also shows just how badly they blew the Bruce Davis pick a couple of years ago. Had Davis turned out to be a player, they would not have needed to select Worilds.

posted by Dale Lolley at 8:05 PM 15 Comments Links to this post
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
KCSteelersFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 16185
Default Re: Day 2 thoughts

I like the Sanders pick, he's a young Torry Holt type of player, some draft experts had him as high as a top 5 wr in this draft. Worilds came out as a Jr. and has lots of upside to him, but I just don't know about this pick, this was a stretch, I'm sure we would of gotten him in the 4th. I just hope he's not a wasted pick like Bruce Davis was, that would be bad.
KCSteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
SteelPride1207
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16128

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSteelersFan View Post
I like the Sanders pick, he's a young Torry Holt type of player, some draft experts had him as high as a top 5 wr in this draft. Worilds came out as a Jr. and has lots of upside to him, but I just don't know about this pick, this was a stretch, I'm sure we would of gotten him in the 4th. I just hope he's not a wasted pick like Bruce Davis was, that would be bad.
Sanders...instead of Terrance Cody....bad call....but picking Worilds in the 2nd...an ABSOLUTE reach.

I hope we come out ahead with our picks...but damn...I feel like we totally blew it on the second day considering our needs and what was available.
SteelPride1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Outside linebacker was the least of my worries...
Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

I did think like another user who already pointed out that the way we drafted today was like if we were Super Bowl champions.I'm not saying they are going to be bust,it's just we could have drafted these kinds of players later in the draft.Worilds is a pick I just dont get.You just dont draft special team players in 2nd round,and if we really wanted some OLB we could have drafted Sean Lee and move Timmons back to OLB.

As far as Sanders goes,yeah He might be great and all that but the fact for me is that we spent a 2nd round pick a couple of years ago on a guy that dropped 2-3 balls and never really got his chances to show what he's capable of.

Now they say that it might take 2-3 years to Worilds to be NFL ready.....why is it okay for him but not for Sweed ...I just dont get it.

Cam Thomas would have made a lot more sense for me,but again ...they are the experts I'm just the fan here but I just dont want to have another fiasco cause we need a lot of help right now.(DB,DL,RB,OL)
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
atlee731
Water Boy

Member Number: 15893

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Day 2 thoughts

I did find out that there was a great deal of discussion in the second round prior to the team selecting Jason Worilds. Some in the room wanted Penn State's Sean Lee, who was still available.
What a kick in the gut. Of course you take Sean Lee when Worilds would be available at Round 3 or 4. While I like the Pouncey pick, I would have MUCH preferred:

Pouncey
Sean Lee
Cam Thomas
atlee731 is offline   Reply With Quote