Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
JSH6487
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16095
Default Alright, my serious take on our 2nd round pick

I shouldn't of started the thread comparing him to Alonzo Jackson...I was just very upset with this pick for many reasons. Here's a serious take why...

We DO have holes on our team and are in no position to take a guy in the 2nd round that won't see the field for 3 years. OLB is probably by far our strongest position. Harrison is only 31 years old, and then you've got Timmons who could slide right over to OLB if need be. He actually might be better there anyway.

If they weren't going to take a player to fill some of our holes (CB, OL, WR) and were set on grooming someone, I think they did it at the wrong position. James Farrior is 35...why not look at MLB with Sean Lee or Brandon Spikes? Casey Hampton is 32, Chris Hoke is 34...why not look at Terrence Cody? And then there's of course Golden Tate who was still on the board...similar to Hines Ward in a lot of ways who is 34 and has maybe 1 or 2 seasons left in him. Tate could of stepped in and even contributed a ton this year from the 3, and eventually sliding into Hine's spot.

This pick just absolutely makes no sense to me whatsoever. Like I said OLB is by far our strongest position and the one we needed LEAST...and they REACH to take one in the 2nd that they most likely could get in the 3rd? Plenty of players I would of taken over Worilds there. Do you agree? Disagree? Please give me a serious opinion other than bashing me because I am criticizing your beloved Steelers.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Alright, my serious take on our 2nd round pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH6487 View Post
other than bashing me because I am criticizing your beloved Steelers.
You know... other than this sentence. This is probably your best post on this forum.

Had you posted like this from the beginning, IMO, you would have had a completely different experience here.

I understand what your saying. You make some pretty good points. However, I think that either the Steelers feel he can slide over into ILB, or that one of our edge guys can do it. Either that, or they are thinking that Harrison will only be able to play at his level for another couple years, and they think that the timing would be perfect with this guy coming up.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH6487 View Post
OLB is probably by far our strongest position.
Cannot agree with this statement at all.

It may be our strongest set of starters, but beyond that I would disagree.

And judging by the actions of the front office today, I am guessing that they do not agree.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Hmmmm, Timmons, drafted to be an OLB omgzers horrible pick what a bust he sucks. 2 years later. OMGzers hes a freak of nature he can play ILB and take over Foote and play OLB. I can see History repeating itself here.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
alfa1277
Water Boy

Member Number: 16182

The original post here brings up some good points. Here's the issue. The Steelers have many needs: OL, OLB, CB, WR, DE, NT. CB could be the area of greatest need. It could be DE, but the Steelers have demonstrated that they will not pick a player strictly based on need. They're picking players based on their draft board. To what degree they look at need, I don't know. I'm sure it plays a part - they weren't interested in selecting a QB. Mendenhall is a good example. RB was not a huge need when he was selected, but it ended up turning out to be a good pick.

My guess is that the Steelers looked at the CB's available and saw little difference in what was on the board and what is on their roster, particularly the two young guys they drafted last year. Also, I'm guessing that they don't consider CB as the huge need everyone else thinks it to be. Troy's injury last year was a disaster. While criticism in the secondary was focused on the corners, Troy's replacement was Tyrone Carter. Think about that for a minute and think about the fact that the Steelers had Carter and Ryan Mundy on the field together. Hmmmmmm. The safety issue was addressed in the offseason and I suspect the Steelers feel that their secondary will be better this season. Time will tell.

I don't think it's wrong for folks to question the Steeler's picks. Debating over this stuff is a lot of fun. I happen to like the first two picks. Pouncey is a talent and will be a great addition to the OL. He should help the Steelers reestablish a more consistent running game. He's versatile enough to play G and C. I like the idea of him playing C, because we could use a bigger, more physical presence there. I like the second pick. I know a lot about that kid and think he will be a very good pro. Pass rushers are hard to find, especially with more NFL teams playing the 3-4. He had a very good workout for NFL scouts. My guess is that he would have been gone before the Steelers picked in the third round. The WR pick? I'm not so sure about that one.
alfa1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I think that either the Steelers feel he can slide over into ILB. This was a question I had about him. If he can or we can shuffle than the FO did their job.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
OLB is probably by far our strongest position
lmao...what? who is on the bench at OLB if harrison or woodley go down? frazier?

harrison isn't getting any younger either and woodley's contract ends in 2011.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Either that, or they are thinking that Harrison will only be able to play at his level for another couple years, and they think that the timing would be perfect with this guy coming up.
This is the point exactly.

ILB was a greater need until we picked up Foote. Now if one our our starters go down on the inside, Foote or Fox can fill in effectively.

OLB on the other hand has virtually no depth at all. We dont have two players behind Silverback and Woodley who can step in and play without a huge drop in the level of play.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Burghfan58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10872

This kid may turn out to be a good one. Only time will tell. What happened to the theory that if you don't draft for position you take the best available athlete? Are the Steelers brass telling us he was the best available athlete at pick 52? I think Tomlins connections to the Virginia area has some play in this pick. It seems like the Ravens, Browns and Bengals are all improving their rosters and depth and the Steelers with the help of Holmes and Ben are spinning their wheels. Lets hope todays picks cheer us up a little.

Steelers can't win it every year. Some teams can't win it any year.
Burghfan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

yeah I over reacted last night too.......Im just scared this will be another Davis rather then a Woodley

The guy has had tons of shoulder problems too

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote