Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
SteelPride1207
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16128
Default Draft Grades: RD 1-3

My criteria for draft success comes down to four areas: college production, talent, draft position, and team needs. Of the three picks yesterday only Pouncey met all four criteria which resulted in an A- (minus because he was a slight reach playing the center position).

Pouncey: A-
Played for powerhouse Florida, very talented, productive, and leadership quality.....conventional drafts would have made him a reach at 18 for the center position....final grade given based on Steeler offensive line need, talent, and college production.

Worilds: B-
2nd Rd reach projected in most drafts to be a 3rd Rd pick...does not fill immediate need (CB, OL, DL)...stock rose because of combine numbers (big risk)...graded in B catagory only because Steelers have poor depth at OLB.

Sanders: D
3rd Rd reach projected in most drafts to be a 4th/5th Rd pick...does not fill immediate need (CB, OL, DL)...put up good numbers in weaker conference... was generally rated the 12th-13th best WR in draft.

OVERALL: C+
Would have been higher but two factors came into play: 1st) both Worilds & Sanders were drafted higher than projected making them both reach picks....2) neither Worilds or Sanders filled immediate needs.

Adding depth to the OLB position is necessary but should not be prioritized above the absolute need to find a starting CB/S and more offensive line help.

The Steelers are either rebuilding or gearing up for a Super Bowl run now. With serious needs in key areas (secondary and offensive line play), choosing a OLB and WR are projects for the future.
SteelPride1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Draft Grades: RD 1-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPride1207 View Post
My criteria for draft success comes down to four areas: college production, talent, draft position, and team needs. Of the three picks yesterday only Pouncey met all four criteria which resulted in an A- (minus because he was a slight reach playing the center position).

Pouncey: A-
Played for powerhouse Florida, very talented, productive, and leadership quality.....conventional drafts would have made him a reach at 18 for the center position....final grade given based on Steeler offensive line need, talent, and college production.

Worilds: B-
2nd Rd reach projected in most drafts to be a 3rd Rd pick...does not fill immediate need (CB, OL, DL)...stock rose because of combine numbers (big risk)...graded in B catagory only because Steelers have poor depth at OLB.

Sanders: D
3rd Rd reach projected in most drafts to be a 4th/5th Rd pick...does not fill immediate need (CB, OL, DL)...put up good numbers in weaker conference... was generally rated the 12th-13th best WR in draft.

OVERALL: C+
Would have been higher but two factors came into play: 1st) both Worilds & Sanders were drafted higher than projected making them both reach picks....2) neither Worilds or Sanders filled immediate needs.

Adding depth to the OLB position is necessary but should not be prioritized above the absolute need to find a starting CB/S and more offensive line help.

The Steelers are either rebuilding or gearing up for a Super Bowl run now. With serious needs in key areas (secondary and offensive line play), choosing a OLB and WR are projects for the future.
Compared to Cincy and Baltimore picks, I don't see how these 3 picks make us a favorite in our Division next year.
C+ is a fair assessment. Nothing to be extatic about.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Over all grade for building the team now and in the future c minus at best .
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I give is an F-

Colbert sucks! We should be in charge of making the picks!!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Compared to Cincy and Baltimore picks, I don't see how these 3 picks make us a favorite in our Division next year.
C+ is a fair assessment. Nothing to be extatic about.
Well I guess its a good thing we don't start rookies then. Huh?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
Well I guess its a good thing we don't start rookies then. Huh?
I'd rather start a great rookie with tons of upside than a proven failure. I'm just saying.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i think this is another bad draft for pittsburgh and another good one for the ravens and the bengals. we had much bigger issues then OLB and we passed on some good picks to get players we could of still got a round later. Colbert cant afford another bad draft and his job may be on the line here
pete74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i think this is another bad draft for pittsburgh and another good one for the ravens and the bengals. we had much bigger issues then OLB and we passed on some good picks to get players we could of still got a round later. Colbert cant afford another bad draft and his job may be on the line here

sure, sure

I think his two rings say otherwise
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post

sure, sure

I think his two rings say otherwise
also, as much as Colbert's two last drafts have been fairly bad, the Rooneys love him too much to cut him lose. This team has trouble changing. Unless the player committs a crime and the FO is having a bad day, cuz then they are open to trade away future pro bowlers for 5th round picks.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

YES FIRE COLBERT BECAUSE OF THE DRAFT! NEVER MIND THE TWO RINGS! THOSE DON"T MEAN ANYTHING ITS ALL ABOUT DRAFT PICKS!