Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Havik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8843
Default 2010 Draft final thoughts

I thought the Steelers had a fairly productive draft and filled some needs, but made some picks that didn't make a lot of sense. I think a few players were reaches. DL and OLB depth was addressed, however the Steelers failed to get a backup safety. Here are my grades for all the picks.

18. Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Florida
I think Pouncey will be a great fit. The Steelers face 2 3-4 teams twice a year, in addition to multiple 3-4 defenses in the AFC. He's proven he is capable of taking on big nose tackles in the SEC, and is a big upgrade over the mediocre Justin Hartwig. Pick Grade: A

52. Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
Jason Worlids had a very good season in 2008, and a very poor one in 2009. He was drafted this high because of his combine performance, if not for that he is a late 3rd/early 4th round pick. The Steelers had better options but instead drafted a 40 time. He may be a workout warrior, but what a player does on the field is much more important. Reach. Pick Grade: D

82. Emmanuel Sanders, WR/KR, SMU
I can't say I'm a huge fan of this pick, but I heard a lot of good stuff about this guy. I think Sanders is a reach. Pick Grade: C

116. Thaddeus Gibson, DE/OLB, Ohio State
I really like Thaddeus Gibson, a great value with big upside. Pick Grade: B

151. Chris Scott, OT/G, Tennessee
Chris Scott is a reach, but the Steelers had to find another offensive lineman. Pick Grade: C

164. Crezdon Butler, CB, Clemson
Crezdon Butler is good for special teams, but I'd rather see the Steelers get a backup safety like Myron Rolle or Kurt Coleman. With McFadden back on the roster I think corner is no longer a big need, as Lewis, Burnett, and Gay provide enough depth. I also think this is yet another reach. Pick Grade: D

166. Stevenson Sylvester, ILB, Utah
Reach. Safety depth please! Pick Grade: F

188. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
Jonathan Dwyer is very talented and has the potential to be an stud in the NFL. Huge steal. Pick Grade: A

195. Antonio Brown, WR, Central Michigan
Again, a pick that should have been used on depth at safety, the Steelers are in big trouble if Troy gets injured again. Pick Grade: F

242. Doug Worthington, DE/DT, Ohio State
Doug Worthington is a solid player, and it's always a good idea to have d-line depth. Pick Grade: B

Last edited by Havik; 04-24-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,936 Times in 1,668 Posts
Default Re: 2010 Draft final thoughts

i'm guessing your an OSU fan...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,035 Times in 494 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

1st Round: Maurkice Pouncey
Grade: B+
Pouncey is an A+ prospect but I give this pick a B. We did need some help at the line but CB was a far greater need (however, Cb was sort of solved later but we still should have taken Kyle Wilson here). Plus, if we we were this bent on Pouncey, we should have traded down to the mid-20's to take him and picked up an extra later pick, I highly doubt he would have gone to anyone else especially with Bulaga on the board...

2nd Round: Jason Worilds
Grade: D-
Ive done some research on this guy, and Worilds could definitely work in our system and could be developed into one beast of a linebacker. However, this guy would almost DEFINITELY have been available in round 3, he might have even slipped farther. With prospects like Golden Tate, Sean Lee, and Terrence Cody on the board, spending a pick to REACH for a guy who, although shows some promise, will not make any sort of impact on this team for several years is just a waste of a pick. At the same time, if we really want to add depth at LB due to age, Sean Lee should have been our guy - there may be less skill depth at OLB but Harrison and Woodley are much younger than Farrior and Foote, who will not be around very long, and then we'll be suck with Timmons and...Fox. I'd give this pick an F if I didn't think Worilds would amount to anything, I do think he can be good in some time, but taking him at this point in the draft is just a complete waste of a pick. Had he been selected with our 3rd pick, my grade for him would be much higher.

3rd Round: Emmanuel Sanders
Grade: B-
I must admit I am liking Sanders a lot after watching some of his highlights, but again my dislike of this pick is more linked to the Worilds pick. If we wanted a small, fast, physical WR to eventually replace Hines, and we were willing to spend an early pick on one, Golden Tate was the guy. However Im convinced Sanders is the second best choice in this draft for such a role, I am also convinced Tate could have fit our team so much better. If we wanted our 2nd and 3rd picks to be a small, physical WR and an OLB, we should have gone Tate in round 2 and Navorro Bowman in round 3, rather than the way our draft actually turned out.

4th Round: Thaddeus Gibson
Grade: B
Haven't done much research on the guy but he adds more OLB/DE depth. I do think this pick could have been better spent on another position but at this point all the good CB's and S's are gone so its an okay pick I guess

5th Round: Chris Scott
Grade: B+
Haven't really done any research on him either but I trust that he's a decent Tackle and could fill a role on this team

5th Round: (Traded pick with Arizona for Bryant McFadden)
Grade: A
We should have taken a CB earlier but since we didnt this is probably one of the best move's we could have made at this point. Mcfadden isnt GREAT but compared to Willie Gay or our backups he is Darelle Revis. He works in our system and is much better than any CB we could have drafted at this point.

5th Round: Crezdon Butler, CB
IDK anything about this guy but CB is a much needed position, even with McFadden our starting CB corps is quite old, if decent, and needs some youth. Im sure he can be developed into a good CB but we just took two guys last year for this position so IDK what I think about selecting yet another one late. Ill give it a B for now.

5th Round: Stevenson Sylvester, LB
Grade: C-
Even if this guy becomes a beast he is the 3rd OLB we have taken. I trust he's a good player but in my eyes at this point I have no idea why we have selected 3 OLB's when that is probably one of our least-needed positions.

6th Round: Jonathan Dwyer, RB
Grade: A+
As far as Im concerned this is our best pick. Dwyer is a beast and is a complete steal in the 6th round, Im shocked he made it outside of the 3rd considering he was consistently projected as a top 5 back and to go in the second, some even thought he'd go in the first. He should fit the role of short yardage back nicely and should be a great compliment to Mendenhall. I actually hope he gets more playing time than just short yardage, Id like to see a drive rotation like we had with Mendy and Willie if he's really as good as I think he might be.

6th Round: Antonio Brown, WR
We already selected a WR earlier but this guy is pretty good from what I can tell. At this point we've already taken just about everybody that can make an impact on our team so I dont mind this pick, Im assuming we took him because Hines, Randle El, Battle, and Sweed aren't in our long-term plans

7th Round: Doug Worthington, DT
Grade: I dont care
Probably won't make the team but if he does provides nice depth behind Casey and Hoke

Final Grade: C
As far as Im concerned our only "good" picks were Pouncey, Dwyer, and trading for Bryant. This draft had a lot of potential to be VERY good considering some of the guys that were available and how many late picks we had, but we wasted several early picks that could have been better spent. Our first 3 picks could have been: Kyle Wilson (arguably best CB this year), Golden Tate (arguably best WR and successor to Hines), and Navorro Bowman (arguably best OLB). Not to mention we had enough late picks that we could have trade up for Pouncey and thrown Pouncey into that scenario. We made up for our wasted picks later, luckily, but this draft left me with a bad taste in my mouth of "what could have been."
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5008

I don't like to grade drafts this early. I prefer to look back a coulple of years from now and see, and then compare who they could have drafted instead. I must say I share the disappointment in the missed opprotunity to select Golden Tate. I think he will be special.

Overall, I like the draft. I really like the Pouncy pick. I did not think he was going to fall to us, after evey draft guru had him going to Denver. I thought Worilds was picked a bit early, but I've heard some pundits say he will fit our scheme well. I'll trust Lebeau on this one. I also really like getting Mcfadden back, and the Dwyer pick so late in the Draft.

How bout the guys undrafted, Blount, Snead, D. Clark.
1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

52. Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
Jason Worlids had a very good season in 2008, and a very poor one in 2009. He was drafted this high because of his combine performance, if not for that he is a late 3rd/early 4th round pick. The Steelers had better options but instead drafted a 40 time. He may be a workout warrior, but what a player does on the field is much more important. Reach. Pick Grade: D

If you really dont like this pick you need to go and listen to one of the Very Best LB Coaches in NFL History talk about this kid out of VA Tech. I think I trust his knowledge over yours by a long shot. There is an interview on steelers.com that you might want to go listen to. Then check your Information.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Aside from Pouncey, getting Bmac back(*and what are they going to do when this contract expires?) and Dwyer...this draft made no sense to me.....3 outside linebackers and 2 receivers? No other Corner, No Tackles, No Inside Linbacker, and no back-up for troy....C - draft for me....you go 9-7 and miss the playoffs you ATTACK your deficiencies....not do this....i don't even know what this is...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Stevenson Sylvester will not play OLB in my opinion. That is why Worrilds and Gibson were picked.

He is suited to play the coverage role at middle linebacker if needed. He can stick with a TE in coverage. He will have a role on special teams if he finds a way onto the squad.

He is in for camp competition and would sit #3 behind Timmons and Farrior as ILB that can cover.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

He is in for camp competition and would sit #3 behind Timmons and Farrior as ILB that can cover.
Seems like competition is really being stressed this year. I was watching the position coaches give press releases on the new draft picks and each one talked about bringing in the rookie to compete. Personally, I think it will be great for us this season.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15873

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Aside from Pouncey, getting Bmac back(*and what are they going to do when this contract expires?) and Dwyer...this draft made no sense to me.....3 outside linebackers and 2 receivers? No other Corner, No Tackles, No Inside Linbacker, and no back-up for troy....C - draft for me....you go 9-7 and miss the playoffs you ATTACK your deficiencies....not do this....i don't even know what this is...
They already entended Bmac's contract 3yrs,We had no depth at OLB and if Harrison 32 got hurt we'd have to move timmons disrupting 2 positions. Stevenson Sylvester will be an ILB( you tube him), CB Crezdon Butler(Donovan Warren was still on the board), G/T Chris Scott.
Look these guys up and you'll be happier. I thought the should of taken Darrel Stuckey SS and Dorin Dickerson while he was on the board but the Trade for Bmack aka Sweet Chin Music made the draft complete.
They got both Justin Worilds & THaddeous Gibson. We lucked out! I hoped they would of gotten Micah Johnson or JAmar Chaney.
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I'm going to grade only with motes, because I think this draft felt a bit surreal, and so deserves somewhat surreal commentary:
1st Round: Maurkice Pouncey -

2nd Round: Jason Worilds -

3rd Round: Emmanuel Sanders -

4th Round: Thaddeus Gibson -

5th Round: Chris Scott -

5th Round: Bryant McFadden -

5th Round: Crezdon Butler -

5th Round: Stevenson Sylvester -

6th Round: Jonathan Dwyer -

6th Round: Antonio Brown -

7th Round: Doug Worthington -

As needs to be stated and restated, four or five years from now we can judge this draft with clear eyes. But right now, overall, this draft seems rather...

Last edited by ricardisimo; 04-25-2010 at 01:49 AM.
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote