Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387
Default Steelers Strange Picks

Pouncy - Necessary pick of the Steelers are going to run the ball. They need beefy steamrollers to create running lanes.

Jason Worilds - Curious pick when the steelers could have gotten another Hines Ward type in Golden Tate. The Steelers are in bad need of Wrs after Holmes departure. Tate was one of the best in 2009. Why the Steeler need a LB, when they have the best LB backing corps in the NFL is strange. In my opinion a bad pick considering the steelers other needs.

EMMANUEL SANDERS Wr. - This is a bad pick, because the Golden Tate was on the boards. Between Worild and Tate. Tate was a better player and the Steelers need a number 1 receiver. Don't the Steelers need a player named Golden?

FOURTH ROUND (116): Thaddeus Gibson, The steelers are thinking that the LB's are getting old and need to bring in young blood. Farrior's got one more year, Foote at least two, Harrison got 3 to 4 years left in his tank, Woodley and Timmons will step up and can be around a long time if the money is there. Keyaron Fox did a nice job filling in and he could easily be a starter. There is not much there after that, Patrick Bailey? With so many other issues, do the Steelers need to draft 2 LB's in the first four rounds. I say no.

Fifth Round - Trade for McFadden. This was a great move. McFadden can fill in nicely where he once played. He won't be making rookie mistakes. The Steelers are still in need of a ball hawk and cover corner. They don't have one. Perhaps, one of last years picks can step up.

FIFTH ROUND (151): Chris Scott, OL, 6-41/2, 325, Tennesee ... Joins Ramon Foster, another former Vol tackle on the team. The Steelers converted Foster to guard, and he wound up starting there late in the season. Scott has played both guard and tackle at Tennessee . . . Scott has had trouble keeping his weight down . . . Native of Riverdale, Ga.

FIFTH ROUND (164): Crezdon Butler, CB, 5-111/2, 190, Clemson ... Decent speed at 4.43 in the 40 at the combine . . . Started the past 40 games, moving into the lineup as a sophomore . . . Good in pass coverage but not strong in run support . . . Inconsistent performer . . . Led high school team as quarterback to state championship . . . Asheville, N.C. native.

FIFTH ROUND (166): Steven Sylvester, LB, 6-2, 231, Utah I can only guess that the Steelers are beefing up Special Teams, a sore spot last year and hoping 1 of the 3 turns out to be good at LB.

SIXTH ROUND (188): Jonathan Dwyer, RB, 5-11, 235, Georgia Tech ... The release of FWP was a heartbreak for many steeler fans. The steelers are looking for a goal line threat to punch it in. The Steelers may be going back to smash mouth running. I would have liked FWP to have stayed because the Steelers need the change of pace at running back.

SIXTH ROUND (195): Antonio Brown, WR, 5-10, 186, Practice Squad

SEVENTH ROUND (242): Doug Worthington, DE, 6-5, 292, Practice Squad.

I give the Steelers a B- in this years draft. Of course the score will be determined over the next 3 years as these picks develop.

First we can read into these picks that Ziggy Hood could be a bust. Why draft so many DE's when you've got to outstanding ones starting and a Hood coming on.

The Steelers are not serious about developing their receivers. Ward will probably retire next year. El and Battle are temporary fixes to a glaring gap in Steelers receiver corps. That means Mike Wallace will have to step it up. As good as wallace is, he's not Holmes. This means that the steelers need to get their running game up to speed.
Sweed, oh, yes, I think he should switch to those butter fingers in the secondary. I hope that he'll come around. But that's not a given. NFL defenses can put 8 in the box because the steelers don't have a deep threat at receiver.

The Steelers did not address to my satisfaction a glaring problem in their secondary. McFadden is a good CB. But he is neither a cover CB or a ball hawk. The steelers need a ball hawk. They need 16 interceptions next seasons instead of an interception in week 16.

Opposing offenses know if they can hold up Harrison and Woodley for 3.5 seconds, they'll get an open receiver in the porous Steeler secondary. The 4th quarter collapses were a direct result of the secondary. The Steelers would have finished 12-4 if the secondary had not collapsed. Yet, the Steelers did not address this issue to my satisfaction. They needed to take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The front office has had a good streak of successful drafts. I hope that they prove me wrong.
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Re: Steelers Strange Picks

Ziggy a bust??? No, the only player we drafted that can play DE in our defense is Worthington. The others are DE/OLB hybrids. DE's in a 4-3, OLB in a 3-4.

I'm not sure where your going with about not developing recievers. What recievers need developing. Maybe Sweed but he's had two years. We arn't giving up on any wide outs. If anything we are commiting to two young recievers this year.(Atleast one since we used a third to get him)
Old 04-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
Ziggy a bust??? No, the only player we drafted that can play DE in our defense is Worthington. The others are DE/OLB hybrids. DE's in a 4-3, OLB in a 3-4.

I'm not sure where your going with about not developing recievers. What recievers need developing. Maybe Sweed but he's had two years. We arn't giving up on any wide outs. If anything we are commiting to two young recievers this year.(Atleast one since we used a third to get him)
The steelers don't have a number one receiver. We traded him away for McFadden indirectly as it turns out.
Ward is old
Wallace is young.
El is El
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
First we can read into these picks that Ziggy Hood could be a bust. Why draft so many DE's when you've got to outstanding ones starting and a Hood coming on.
no we cant:
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
The steelers don't have a number one receiver. We traded him away for McFadden indirectly as it turns out.
Ward is old
Wallace is young.
El is El
What does not having a number one have to do with developement??? We did not trade Holmes because we didn't want to develope him, we traded him because he likes his dope.

BTW, I think Wallace can be that number one reciever.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Willie Reid was a 3rd round pick...

Sanders won't be safe until he can consistently make good plays. Wallace just caught on immediately. Hopefully Sanders does too.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Pouncy -
I would say the lack of drafting a 3-4 style DE until very late is an endorsement of Ziggy and Harris.

And since when do we lack a serious deep threat receiver? Didn't Mike Wallace have the highest yards per reception average (or near the top)? Tone made some very key plays in his days here, but I always felt he never quite played to his potential ... but the doobage will do that to you. He spent too many games not making an impact to really be considered elite.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Ward is old
Wallace is young.
El is El
Yeah, he only caught 95 passes, another 1,000 yard season, 5 100 yard games, and led the team in almost all categories. Nbd...
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I think the Steelers will be fine. I would liked to have seen them draft a couple of different players to but they have a solid core of players. These picks will bolster special teams and depth which are 2 areas of need.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
EMMANUEL SANDERS Wr. - This is a bad pick, because the Golden Tate was on the boards. Between Worild and Tate. Tate was a better player and the Steelers need a number 1 receiver. Don't the Steelers need a player named Golden?
You make a big assumption here. Based on your analysis, Golden is better, but that doesn't make it truth. Sanders out performed Tate in virtually every measurement at the combine, most notably 40 time and vertical. Sanders is the superior athlete, and just because he didn't play in a big time program like Tate and we hadn't heard of him doesn't make him worse. Apparently, based on the fact Golden was still available in the 3rd round, most GMs agreed that the layman like you and I had him overrated. Only time will tell who's right, but I like this pick. I think this Sanders kid will make an immediate impact in ST so we can drop Logan. In time, I he'll be a productive slot receiver in our offense.
We have 3 young WRs to take the reigns after the geezers leave. Hines still has, by my estimation, two years left. This gives the Steelers ample time to develop Sanders, who has excellent physical tools but is just a little raw. We don't need an immediate impact at this time, so taking a high-risk high-reward raw WR with a lot of upside who can contribute immediately on STs, to me makes sense.

And, although he's quickly running out of time, I don't think we should give up on Sweed just yet. He has all the physical tools to be a great WR, and we've seen him get wide open against some of the best CBs in the league. After all, that is the hard part. He's down to his last chance, but I would hate to give up on such a supreme talent before we've exhausted all our patience.

Quote:
The Steelers did not address to my satisfaction a glaring problem in their secondary. McFadden is a good CB. But he is neither a cover CB or a ball hawk. The steelers need a ball hawk. They need 16 interceptions next seasons instead of an interception in week 16.
We have Burnett and Lewis waiting in the wings, and don't discount them because we didn't see much out of them in their rookie season. Most players make huge strides in the sophomore season, so I think we'll better gauge what we have in their performance this year. It may or may not pan out, but my guess is that one of them will.

With that said, I would have liked to see them draft a safety. But the Steelers have a consistent policy of drafting the best talent, not necessarily the biggest need.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote