Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default The New Special Teams Plan

I'm loving the Steelers new plan.

In the past the Steelers had accumulated a bunch of players who were special teams experts but wo had absolutely no development potential in their natural positions. These include players like Morey, Madison, Woods, Bailey, Arnold Harrison, etc. This might be OK if they were good but they sucked.

In looking at the steelers draft picks, it seems most play special teams so we will be able to give them spots and let them play ST for us while they hone their skills.

This means we can get rid of ALL those ST only people...ALL. The only one I want to keep is Logan.

Let's give those roster spots to players who we are developing in other areas and who have true potential to be good at some other position. Tis will keep our team young and fresh.

Kudos.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759
Default Re: The New Special Teams Plan

Logan is going to have a HARD time making this team... At least he'll have the pre-season of 2009 as his 15 minutes of fame...
Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

I agree with you but I think Logan might go. As easy as it is to root for the guy, the fact that he serves no other purpose doesn't bode well for him. The fact that he was only solid during the regular season and not spectacular doesn't really justify keeping him over someone who can return and play another position.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,872 Times in 2,116 Posts

i agree. it seems that the message has been sent loud and clear. no job is safe and there will be open competition across the board... 1-53.

the only "safe" ones are probably miller, troy, and hampton.

everyone else has youngsters or return veterans nipping at their heels. time to cut the dead weight. all the open competition will do wonders for the team in camp.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post
Logan is going to have a HARD time making this team... At least he'll have the pre-season of 2009 as his 15 minutes of fame...
Yeah...I agree but he brought me some comfort. I remember the year before with Moore, Russell and Holmes. I was majorly stressed each time. With Holmes I was nervous he would get hurt.

I don't like starting Wide receivers returning kicks. To me, it is too dangerous. It will make me nervous if Wallace plays ST. He didn't do much KR last year anyway.

I think both WRs and the CB return kicks so it might be better to give one of them a spot than Logan.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i agree. it seems that the message has been sent loud and clear. no job is safe and there will be open competition across the board... 1-53.

the only "safe" ones are probably miller, troy, and hampton.

everyone else has youngsters or return veterans nipping at their heels. time to cut the dead weight. all the open competition will do wonders for the team in camp.
Right on. I love the way you said dead weight. Thats what they are. Arnold Harrison, Patrick Baily, Donavan Woods? Antony Madison? Really? What a waste of 4 spots in the past. Now we can fill those spots with young fresh legs who have potential to develop in their natural positions.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
wdsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15938

also like the new look coming to ST...should be a improvment as well as keeping OLB fresh with Worilds
wdsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Logan's problem is that he's a guy without a position...

The other thing we need to bear in mind is that we'll only keep five WR's. So even Sanders will have his work cut out for him. If Sweed has a miraculous transformation this offseason and shows up MUCH improved, he becomes the x-factor to another guy losing his position on this team. Tomlin will be forced into a decision to keep 6 WR's and that shortens up another position.

If so, Logan is gone.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post
Logan's problem is that he's a guy without a position...

The other thing we need to bear in mind is that we'll only keep five WR's. So even Sanders will have his work cut out for him. If Sweed has a miraculous transformation this offseason and shows up MUCH improved, he becomes the x-factor to another guy losing his position on this team. Tomlin will be forced into a decision to keep 6 WR's and that shortens up another position.

If so, Logan is gone.
The thing about Sweed that dawned me from one of Tony's posts, is that he had wrist surgery his senior year on his tendons. I wonder if part of his problems have simply been left over from his hands not being strong enough yet??

I was actually thinking that Logan would move back to running back and at least be hidden away for that "Well, if everyone else is hurt, least we know he can carry the ball" position. But with the drafting of Dwyer... I don't think that'll happen.

Sad, I actually was pretty excited everytime Logan went back there. IF he is gone, I wonder who handles kickoffs and punts, because from what I have heard, ARE doesn't want that job anymore.

Or this question-- with Dwyer and Mendy- do we actually cut MeMo now? I'd say no, as Logan doesn't have the hands that MeMo has for a third down back, and I doubt Mendy is going to be a 3 down back (don't want him to be, don't want the body abuse on him). However, Logan is a better special teams player than MeMo on coverage (hilarious watching him tackling sproles last year).
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

I think they'll go 3 deep with RB's and Dwyer will probably be fighting Vincent for a roster spot? Moore's safe...good receiver. I saw that Dwyer caught something like less than 10 catches in his college career...LOL!!

I just don't see any way that Logan sticks with this team. And the part that bothers me is that the kid IS talented!! The Steelers can't seem to nail a return guy, and one has to wonder why. Allen Rossum had success written all over him, yet he stunk up the joint here.

But like you, I hope Sweed comes in ready to go. He will get every shot to succeed, and I believe he will see the field the MOST come pre-season. They will evaluate him with scrutiny, because if he doesn't bring it, he's gone. But he's got something going for him: second round draft pick - they don't up on those quickly.