Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795
Default Re: Steelers 2011 veteran free agents

I think this draft shows that they are a bit skeptical if Woodley will sign next year (3 OLBs). I think the two most critical ones to sign are Woodley and Ike. Dixon and Colon need to be kept also. I always thought Colon would be moved to guard but now we have a ton of them. Dixon is more important than we are willing to admit. Leftwich is a 6 game solution but the statue won't take us anywhere.
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
These are the guys I think we need to make a priority to resign. I think if we start Dixon the first 6 games this year and he plays extraordinarily well, franchise him and trade him to another team. I wouldn't mind trading Colon either as long as we select another tackle early in the draft or acquire a good one via trade.
We can't franchise Dixon because it would cost 14-15 million. Fortunately he will be a RFA so all we have to do is put a 1st round tender on him. I doubt they will choose the first and third option. If he had gone this year, these would be the amounts.

TENDERS FOR RFAs WITH 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE:
Original draft pick compensation (based on what round the player was selected): $1,101,000
Second-round tender: $1,684,000
First-round tender: $2,396,000
First- and third-round tender: $3,043,000

The original draft pick option would only net us a 5th rounder. My guess is the Steelers would put a first round tender on him if he turns out to be good.

As for Colon, I doubt we will be able to trade him. We must either extend his contract, franchise him or let him go.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set-Man View Post
I think this draft shows that they are a bit skeptical if Woodley will sign next year (3 OLBs). I think the two most critical ones to sign are Woodley and Ike. Dixon and Colon need to be kept also. I always thought Colon would be moved to guard but now we have a ton of them. Dixon is more important than we are willing to admit. Leftwich is a 6 game solution but the statue won't take us anywhere.
Football is an ugly business. It is almost impossible to retire as a LB with the Steelers because they like them young and fast and they don't want to break the bank. Harrison may be the first to do it in the modern era (after FA) but I wouldn't guarentee it. I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers release him in 2 years if his productivity falls.

That said, if Woodley is reasonable, they will bring him back. If not, they will just replace him with Worilds. Notice they said they haven't decided on whether to train him for Left or right? lol If they can't sign Woodley early in the summer, watch them train him for Left OLB. If they do, watch him get placed at R OLB.

I won't panic. Like I said, the Steelers always replace their LBs without problems.

My bet is that Harrison and Woodley won't retire Steelers. We'll milk and then release. Hopefully Woodley gets one more contract though.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set-Man View Post
Actually they only took 2 OLBs....Sylvester will be an ILB in the Steelers system.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltreal View Post
I would keep Woodley if it meant letting Ike go
I don't think you mean that. Ike has covered Randy Moss, Ochocinco, Fitz. Reggie Wayne, Braylon Edwards, Plax, Andre Johnson and TO. He will be the one we call on to cover Calvin Johnson and Santonio this year.

Ike is way more valuable. Woodley can be replaced. Even if Worilds can't do it, they could move Timmons out to LOLB and put Foote back in and survive. Fox did decently inside too.

They just drafted 3 OLBs.

We can't let Ike go. He will look good again with Troy back. Last year may have allowed us to get a good deal on im.

Ike X5 over Woodley.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
Actually they only took 2 OLBs....Sylvester will be an ILB in the Steelers system.
Maybe...we are hoping but we haven't gotten any conformation on that yet...uless I am wrong...please share the source.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
7willBheaven
Starter

Dennis Dixon 24 2011 (RFA) - Re-sign
Mewelde Moore 28 2011 - Re-sign

Matt Spaeth 24 2011 - I dont hate him as much as some...but if we have others just as good then i'm fine with him leaving. He's more of a receiving TE compared to blocking...plus the #2 TE dont get many balls thrown his way...he COULD be a great TE in the right system (TEs do more catching that blocking).

Willie Colon 26 2011 - Dont care really
Trai Essex 26 2011 - Would like to keep him..as he is very versatile and has been good for us.

Tony Hills 24 2011 - could be gone this yr
Chris Hoke 33 2011 - Wont be back especially if we draft Caseys replacement next yr as i suspect.

LaMarr Woodley 24 2011 - Re-sign
Andre Frazier 27 2011 - probably gone this yr
Keyaron Fox 27 2011 - Re-sign - great ILB depth and solid STer
Ike Taylor 29 2011 - Re-sign
William Gay 24 2011 - torn here...most will want him gone...i say depends how last yrs CB picks are coming along.

Jeff Reed 30 2011 - Re-sign (unless we find a solid replacement)
Daniel Sepulveda 25 2011 - Re-sign
Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #18
7willBheaven
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Maybe...we are hoping but we haven't gotten any conformation on that yet...uless I am wrong...please share the source.
K. Butler the Steelers LB coach said he will be ILB...i think even Colbert may have said so also.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
K. Butler the Steelers LB coach said he will be ILB...i think even Colbert may have said so also.
Cool. Thanks. It was what I was initially thinking when I saw that we drafted him since he wasn't a DE.

That means he is going to practice squad because Fox is pretty good and they won't keep 5 ILBs. Keep in mind last years team had 3. I think they will keep 4.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #20
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:

Matt Spaeth 24 2011 - I dont hate him as much as some...but if we have others just as good then i'm fine with him leaving. He's more of a receiving TE compared to blocking...plus the #2 TE dont get many balls thrown his way...he COULD be a great TE in the right system (TEs do more catching that blocking).
I've always defended him but now that I think of it, he is kind of boring if he is going to be a receiving TE. I prefer to let him go and try to pick of a powerful big receiving TE like Eric Green (like the Grishem the Bengals just got). The other 2 TE projects are more of H-back/Fullback projects (Johnson and McHugh). Heath is great but if we can, let's start developing a more scary force behind him.