Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Cowboys have no class

I don't like what the Cowboys are doing to Flozelle Adams.

He served loyally and well...as a LT. He played with them 11 years and tey just dump him.

I hope tey at least asked him to take a paycut to try to retire a Cowboy. If they did, fine but if not, they are trash.

We get mad at players leaving all the time for money and tell players they should try to show some loyalty and stick with the same team and their fans but the teams often sow no loyalty and if after 11 years they can not coax a player into retirement or a lower priced back up role if they feel he is losing his stuff, then something is wrong.

It's ugly. We did the same with Franco Harris but fortunately nobody remembers the year he played for the Seahawks.

It needs to be dscussed ahead of time that as skills wane, players should try to take less and retire with their team.

What are your thoughts?
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Re: Cowboys have no class

Its a buisness. The Cowboys have to make the best decisions for their organization. Plus its not like the Cowboys were the only ones to get anything out of the relationship. Adams got paid pretty well, I'm assuming, during his time in Dallas.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
Its a buisness. The Cowboys have to make the best decisions for their organization. Plus its not like the Cowboys were the only ones to get anything out of the relationship. Adams got paid pretty well, I'm assuming, during his time in Dallas.
It is a business but once you it the 10 year mark, there should be some loyalty and some attempt to give something back to the fans. The fans want their heroes to retire with their team.

Imagine if all the members of the Steel curtain, Swann, Stallworth, Bradshaw all left the Steelers towards the end.

What I'm saying is if we look down on the players for not staying loyal, we should admonish teams too. Why should they stay loyal if at any time the team will cut them even though they have a contract?

For many years I was bitter towards Woodsen. Now I know the truth. I was busy at that time (professional school) so I didn't have time to review how it happened. It was the Steelers fault.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
It is a business but once you it the 10 year mark, there should be some loyalty and some attempt to give something back to the fans. The fans want their heroes to retire with their team.

Imagine if all the members of the Steel curtain, Swann, Stallworth, Bradshaw all left the Steelers towards the end.

What I'm saying is if we look down on the players for not staying loyal, we should admonish teams too. Why should they stay loyal if at any time the team will cut them even though they have a contract?

For many years I was bitter towards Woodsen. Now I know the truth. I was busy at that time (professional school) so I didn't have time to review how it happened. It was the Steelers fault.
The game was a different animal in the 70's. Players stayed with the same team for their entire careers back then. Well... more so than today. That's why you will never see teams like the 70's Steelers and Raiders that dominated for a whole decade, again. It's a big time business now... players are signed and let go uncerimoniously, without much thought about how they or the fans feel about it. Too bad... the 70's was the golden era of the NFL. It will never be that good again.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

How is that classless? The NFL is a business to you know. Pretty close to everyone in the league understands that
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,095 Posts

Its just the law of the jungle... "Darwinism" at its clearest... the old is replaced by the young... unless your Jerry Rice or Bret Farve....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Whenever I think of Flozelle, I see a yellow flag flying.

He's the Willie Colon on the Dallas Cowboys.

Past tense of course .....
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

I really don't care about past, current or future Cowboys. I hate the team, the players, the coaches, the owner, all of them.
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I don't see this as classless.

It's a business. Players get cut, signed, and traded all of the time.

Franco Harris left the Steelers for a season then retired.

Jerry Rice played for the Raiders, then the Seahawks, then almost the Broncos before he finally retired.

Emmit Smith played a few years for the Cardinals after taking the record for all-time rushing yards in Dallas.

It doesn't matter what you've done for that team and it's fans. Once you no longer are worth what you're being paid, you either take a pay cut (which a lot of players will not do) or you get released.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
The game was a different animal in the 70's. Players stayed with the same team for their entire careers back then. Well... more so than today. That's why you will never see teams like the 70's Steelers and Raiders that dominated for a whole decade, again. It's a big time business now... players are signed and let go uncerimoniously, without much thought about how they or the fans feel about it. Too bad... the 70's was the golden era of the NFL. It will never be that good again.
Yes.

And it gets worse and worse with the ongoing Pussification of The Greatest Game on the Planet...