Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Colt McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Mangini RUINED Quinn. HE may be salvageable in Denver, but who knows how bad the damage was.

McCoy, if Holmgren gets to groom him instead of that titwad Mangina, could realy be a nice WCO QB at the next level. He's a good kid, smart, and has a lot of intangibles. If he's not actually asked to start for awhile, I think he'll be good.
Mangini had Quinn for 1 year. That was it. Romeo Crennel had him longer...he did him no favors. Phil Savage did the kid no favors either (between his drafts and FAs). Unless you really think that any QB would have done well with Donte (I just killed a jaywalker) Stallworth and Braylon (I can't catch 90% of the passes thrown my way) Edwards as his Top 2 WR's.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Mangini had Quinn for 1 year. That was it. Romeo Crennel had him longer...he did him no favors. Phil Savage did the kid no favors either (between his drafts and FAs). Unless you really think that any QB would have done well with Donte (I just killed a jaywalker) Stallworth and Braylon (I can't catch 90% of the passes thrown my way) Edwards as his Top 2 WR's.
Mangini should have come in and said "Quinn is my starter. Period. He's a first round draft pick, he had a year to learn, and he's my starter".

And then he proceeded to play head games with both him and Anderson for most of the rest of the season.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Bradford is the most screwed of the four top quarterbacks. He's going to a team with no offensive line, no receivers, and no defense. He's already the best QB on the roster and will probably be the starter in the opener. If they don't get him some protection in front, he will be the next Tim Couch.

Tebow I am on the fence about. He's a good person, will work his butt off to become a traditional QB. I think if he can hone his new throwing motion and master playing under center (something he didn't do in college), his game will resemble Ben Roethlisberger's. He's big and strong enough to shake off tacklers and a good enough runner to turn nothing into something by scrambling.

McCoy is a perfect WCO quarterback. If that's what Cleveland is going to transition to, then they got themselves a good young QB. He may be the best of the bunch, but he got drafted by the Browns so there isn't much hope for him.

The best situation is Jimmy Clausen's. He was in a pro-style offense, so he has worked from under center and in the shotgun. The terminology in the Panthers offense is almost identical to Notre Dame's, so he isn't going to have to learn an all new offense. The Panthers have a good defense and the strongest running game in the NFL (IMHO). So he's not going to be asked to shoulder the load on offense. He will very possibly be the starter at the start of the season not because they need him to be, but because he wins the job in training camp.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Mangini should have come in and said "Quinn is my starter. Period. He's a first round draft pick, he had a year to learn, and he's my starter".

And then he proceeded to play head games with both him and Anderson for most of the rest of the season.
I agree. A QB controversy is never a good thing for a team to have. I can't think of the last time there was a legit QB competition and the team came out and had a successful season.

Training camp is about getting your team ready for the season. Sometimes there are going to be battles for roster spots. But one that should never have a battle is the quarterback position. When you spend all of TC juggling the two QB's around to make a decision, you're never going to come out on top and ready for the season.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Clausen is definitely in the best situation to start. Here's my take on Tebow (and I touched on this before with another poster). It's absolutely clear that Kyle Orton is not an NFL starter. He's like automatically out, even if he is still listed as #1 on the two-deep. The problem becomes, what if Quin is ruined? I personally think he can be a starting NFL QB, but the guy was psychologically raped by the idiot in Cleveland, maybe permanently.

If that's the case, McDaniels screwed himself by taking Tebow in the 1st when he could have been there late in the 2nd. NOW he's a 1st Round draft pick QB, and if the two guys ahead of him falter, he almost HAS to start Tebow. He's the least NFL-ready of any of the other guys were talking about. Even with a decent line and some weapons around him, he's going to be terribly exposed if he's handed the reigns.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:

Mangini was hardly the only HC the Browns had to do that. BQ didn't do much with his opportunities either. Maybe the reason he didn't play much (prior to the injury) was because he actually wasn't good enough.

1st round pick? He wasn't Mangini's 1st round pick...and he may not have been a 2nd rounder that year had Mangini been doing the picking. Moving back up into the 1st round to get him was about as dumb as could be.

The head games were about hoping one guy would actually take the reins. DA couldnt' do it. His issues (after the first half of the 2007 regular season) are very well recorded around here. If Brady couldn't beat that out, he deserved to not win the starting job. Now he's in Denver where there's a Tim Tebow (1st rounder) a Kyle Orton...he's basically screwed...but he was never going to be an NFL QB unless he learned to do more than check the ball down...and he had accuracy issues doing that. That's not Mangini's fault. That's BQ's for not manning up.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I agree. A QB controversy is never a good thing for a team to have. I can't think of the last time there was a legit QB competition and the team came out and had a successful season.

Training camp is about getting your team ready for the season. Sometimes there are going to be battles for roster spots. But one that should never have a battle is the quarterback position. When you spend all of TC juggling the two QB's around to make a decision, you're never going to come out on top and ready for the season.
Well, you might be able to argue that Arizona did, back when they were going back and forth between Warner and Leinart. And that worked out pretty well when they finally decided to just stick with Warner. But I'm not sure that Leinart really has what it takes. Still... at this point... I'd probably rank him (a little) higher than Brady Quinn.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Browns apologists apology for his teams repeated idiotic moves duly noted.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Browns apologists apology for his teams repeated idiotic moves duly noted.
Apologist? I don't apologize for my team sucking. I didn't make them suck. I didn't mis-draft or mis-sign anyone. I'm not apologizing for anything, just pointing out that the Browns drafted a sub-par QB that you seem to think one coach ruined. Mangini (a guy I'm still not 100% sold on) is not the only coach to do what you claim. But you don't like that I'm pointing out the fallacy in your argument and so are trying to twist it around on me.

BQ sucking is no more Mangini's fault than Big Ben's rape allegations are Tomlins.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
revefsreleets
Living Legend

How do we know Quinn sucks? He didn't play, then Mangini worked his bad mojo on him and wrecked his confidence...